The Trip Begins- Cartagena-Lima- Fort Lauderdale on the Nova

ronrick1943

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Looking at the stern of Silver Nova, I see a first for Silversea:  aft-view verandas.  But they are quite recessed from the actual stern, and there is a public area below with a white roof.  Do you (or anyone) know if that detracts from the usual super-appeal of aft-view verandas?

Screenshot2023-12-30at10_32_57PM.thumb.png.7362ae49ade76e862d204a3911c03d1f.png

No not at all, you look over it.  In my opinion the view is spectacular from our deck, we’re on the seventh floor.  

• Thanks 1

Just a little fact, we took the Otium Suite because of the outside spa/jacuzzi.  In the renderings.that Silversea put out it shows the jacuzzi very low and easy to get into.  In reality it’s very high and extremely difficult to get in if you have any disability.  However, once in, it’s very comfortable and relaxing.  the Jets are extremely good and does the job, getting out is another chore.  I will say if you look at the brochure today, you’ll see the current Jacuzzi.  We do enjoy the aft of the ship, to us it’s really nice suite to be in…..

Sorry the one upload failed and can’t get it delete it’s square.

IMG_0337.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In Cartagena like I said we spend sometime in the bird sanctuary, here are a few photo’s.  It’s really a nice place to spend sometime before going back to the ship.  When leaving the ship you really have no choice to get out of the Port-but usually you’re in a hurry so you don’t really see it.

Well something is going wrong with wi-fi as I can’t up load a few of the photo’s now.

IMG_0331.jpeg

IMG_0334.jpeg

• Like 4

On 12/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, broker1217 said:

I hesitate to say this, but we disembarked in Lima on the 19th and there was a LOT of coughing on board. One woman in Observation Lounge was coughing, sneezing and blowing her nose. lots of coughing on transfer bus departing Lima.

We both tested positive for COVID one and two days after returning home.

We did not go to shows and skipped excursions the last 10 days, and we don’t dine with others.

In hindsight, I wish we had avoided any shared elevators and had masked up on the transfer.

Just use precaution as you see fit.

While we were on board (Dec. 4-19) there was no enforcement of washing or sanitizing.

i’m on rssc grandeur. i’ve never experienced so much coughing. i know we have some covid cases. we are also on panama canal cruise heading to los angeles. we’ve been on for a few weeks since barcelona

we also love silversea and appreciate this detailed thread. we will be on silver ray in 2024 for 37 nights. lots of good information

Edited by bitob

@ronrick1943. I have been really enjoying reading your thread as we will be joining the ship in FLL for the Grand Voyage.  I was wondering if you hear any news onboard about the ship’s christening ceremony?  I had read months ago that it was scheduled for January 4, but not a word since.  Maybe that has all changed, but was just curious if you are hearing anything?

Thanks for your posting!!!

16 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

And my DH noticed that the men's room outside of the Salt Bar is set up so that when the door opens -slooowly - you get a full view of all gentlemen using the facilities.  We called it the P-N-C restroom.  At least that's how it was in November.

In some 3rd world countries without bathroom doors many take umbrellas to the bathroom as a privacy shield.  Perhaps SS should place an umbrella holder outside those bathroom doors.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LTCOP said:

@ronrick1943. I have been really enjoying reading your thread as we will be joining the ship in FLL for the Grand Voyage.  I was wondering if you hear any news onboard about the ship’s christening ceremony?  I had read months ago that it was scheduled for January 4, but not a word since.  Maybe that has all changed, but was just curious if you are hearing anything?

Thanks for your posting!!!

Same hear, we saw something awhile back January 4th—but nothing since that time.  One would think that would say something since a lot of people are staying over night at hotels.  We’ll be staying two extra nights near the FLL airport.  Having lunch and a dinner with friends.

Sorry I have no information about it.  Have a great cruise…………

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

In some 3rd world countries without bathroom doors many take umbrellas to the bathroom as a privacy shield.  Perhaps SS should place an umbrella holder outside those bathroom doors.😁

Funny, but first you have to find the bathroom.  Or by time you get to it you just don’t care😇

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Looking at the stern of Silver Nova, I see a first for Silversea:  aft-view verandas.  But they are quite recessed from the actual stern, and there is a public area below with a white roof.  Do you (or anyone) know if that detracts from the usual super-appeal of aft-view verandas?

Screenshot2023-12-30at10_32_57PM.thumb.png.7362ae49ade76e862d204a3911c03d1f.png

We just stayed in 6088 and the aft view was perfect and private.

• Like 1

@ronrick1943 Darn it, I was hoping there was some buzz about the christening onboard.  It is strange, as usually there is some press regarding these events.  I was looking forward to getting to see it!  I guess we will see we what happens!

Nice that you have some extra days to enjoy in FLL.  That helps cushion the trauma of disembarkation:-).  Should be fun celebrating New Year’s on board!!!  Enjoy!

15 minutes ago, LTCOP said:

@ronrick1943 Darn it, I was hoping there was some buzz about the christening onboard.  It is strange, as usually there is some press regarding these events.  I was looking forward to getting to see it!  I guess we will see we what happens!

Nice that you have some extra days to enjoy in FLL.  That helps cushion the trauma of disembarkation:-).  Should be fun celebrating New Year’s on board!!!  Enjoy!

Thank you, we’ll be dining and celebrating at the Silver Note tonight.  Should be fun and I believe they will be doing something on the pool deck.  No matter where you’re celebrating my it be fun and safe—-we need a to look forward to 2024🥂!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

We just stayed in 6088 and the aft view was perfect and private.

Thanks for this.  I sent an email to my TA to switch to this cabin.  I take it you didn't have any noise from the connecting door?

4 hours ago, LTCOP said:

Really nothing at all stated about the naming.  When we were on the Silver Spirit after covid it just happened that we ere the first ship to arrive in Hong Kong.  You’d think it was a new ship, full press, nice goodie bags for everyone.  We’ll be out to sea tonight for New Year’s eve, one would think they would be in a Port—that way you’d have fireworks at midnight.

12 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

There was no connecting door regardless of what the deck plan shows.

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for this.  I sent an email to my TA to switch to this cabin.  I take it you didn't have any noise from the connecting door?

We are in 7097, in the office area of our suite you can hear the laundry room noise.  Not loud but you do her it.  Any other part of the suite no outside noise.

6 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

We are in 7097, in the office area of our suite you can hear the laundry room noise.  Not loud but you do her it.  Any other part of the suite no outside noise.

Being near the laundry room was an attraction of deck 7 aft (we are presently in 7058).  But as long as Silversea hasn't realized how attractive 6088 is (to refare it above the Classic Veranda level) I'll take the longer walk.  And we have a $200 saving to apply to laundry service...

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Being near the laundry room was an attraction of deck 7 aft (we are presently in 7058).  But as long as Silversea hasn't realized how attractive 6088 is (to refare it above the Classic Veranda level) I'll take the longer walk.  And we have a $200 saving to apply to laundry service...

Great idea, we started having all laundry folded a few days ago for easy packing.   I hate getting home with dirty laundry.

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank all those followed this review and WISH ALL OF YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR.  As this trip comes to an end soon, we had a nice cruise.  We had a few miss happenings, but over all it was nice.  New Years on the Nova was fun, people and crew mixed during the celebration.🍾 I’ll follow up a little later………

IMG_0340.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just wanted to thank all those followed this review and WISH ALL OF YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR.  As this trip comes to an end soon, we had a nice cruise.  We had a few miss happenings, but over all it was nice.  New Years on the Nova was fun, people and crew mixed during the celebration.🍾 I’ll follow up a little later………

IMG_0340.jpeg

This has been a great thread and so helpful :).

Mind posting a picture of one of the daily plans? I’m curious what the daily activities look like.

Edited by Lookingtocruise42

1 hour ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

This has been a great thread and so helpful :).

Mind posting a picture of one of the daily plans? I’m curious what the daily activities look like.

Sure, they call it the Chronicles.  This the one we got tonight January 2nd, so it’s current.  Hope this helps you for what you want.

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_0355.jpeg

This about ends the story as we only have two days left on the ship.  We disembark on the 4th of January, as are in no hurry-we’ll be the last to get off, we have no plane to catch.  The plan is to stay a few days and haven lunch n and dinner with a few friends.  So I don’t think it will be that helpful as the crowds and pushing will be over.  We don‘t have too get off the ship until 9:45AM, so we ordered a car for 10:00AM.  We’ll get off the ship, go through customs and wait if need be.

But if something happens I’ll let you know.

• Like 1

New Year’s eve was fun, I was a little surprised how fast the Silver Note emptied.  One would think with the music you take your time and enjoy the night, at about 10:40PM you only had three table taken, at 10:45PM only two-one was us.  However about 20 minutes to midnight the pool deck started to fill up.  You think the ship would have sounded the horn at midnight, but no-just recorded music and a small balloon drop.  

The Silver Note, remember the chocolate swan dessert.  Well it looked better than it tasted.

20231231_213118.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The pool area—-people and the staff really friendly and the staff sincere when wishing you a Happy New Year.  Most people didn’t make it for breakfast on the 1st, we didn’t either-at lunch we were told very few guest for breakfast.

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 4

Thank you for your lovely  trip report.  Many years ago I was on a Panama  Cruise over Christmas and New Years on the Celebrity Century. On New Years Eve we were off coast  of PV. On the pool deck they had a great party with unlimited bottles of champagne ,both  guest and  crew were partying the night away. Great vibe. 

I loved Cartagena ,Columbia. Had a great private  tour.  Even  bought a emerald ring that I treasure.Bought 6 bags of coffee beans on this cruise in various ports.. It was memorable, met lots of fun cruisers from all over the world, even New Zealand. 

Silver Sea is not my cup of tea. I am now only sailing on Viking Ocean.

Thank  you for all your pictures and posts. 

Cheers! Patti