Bit of a blog - HAL Oosterdam - South America & Antarctica - Dec/Jan 2023/24

NorbertsNiece

6 minutes ago, Islander58 said:

Silly question. What ship port is this excursion out of? It sounds great?

thanks, Mary Lynne

It's Puerto Madryn in Argentina.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:37 AM, NorbertsNiece said:

1. When visiting National Parks..... wear Deet or equivalent. .... we both succumbed

Which National Park or parks had the bad mosquitos?  If I remember, the only one we will be in on our upcoming cruise is Tierra del Fuego.

Thanks so much for your detailed blog and the great photos.  It gave us lots of ideas on what to expect.  Hope you get over your cough quickly and it is not covid.

On 12/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, Bill B said:

Due to the Coriolis effect, penguins are on the port side and swim clockwise in the southern hemisphere, and on starboard side swimming counter clockwise in the northern hemisphere.

I acknowledge that your post is tongue in cheek, but you got the resultant of the Coriolis Effect, caused by the Earth's rotation, backwards.

In the Northern Hemisphere it operates to the right, or clockwise. This is why you have the prevailing SW Winds in the mid N/Hemisphere latitudes. A high pressure develops around 30 N and low pressure at 60N, with the resultant surface winds deflected to the right, or clockwise. The NE Trades are also caused by the clockwise circulation in the N/Hemisphere.

In the Southern Hemisphere it operates to the left, or anticlockwise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

I acknowledge that your post is tongue in cheek, but you got the resultant of the Coriolis Effect, caused by the Earth's rotation, backwards.

In the Northern Hemisphere it operates to the right, or clockwise.

In the Southern Hemisphere it operates to the left, or anticlockwise.

But, due to the Coriolis Effect, hurricanes/typhoons in the Northern Hemisphere spin in a counterclockwise direction, while cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere spin in a clockwise direction. The penguins are pushed along, get dizzy and are easy prey for polar bears - that's why there so few of them north of the equator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bill B said:

But, due to the Coriolis Effect, hurricanes/typhoons in the Northern Hemisphere spin in a counterclockwise direction, while cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere spin in a clockwise direction. The penguins are pushed along, get dizzy and are easy prey for polar bears - that's why there so few of them north of the equator.

Since the Coriolis Effect is to the right (N/H) and left (S/H), when air moves from high to low pressure, it must rotate in different directions at the source and destination. In meteorology, we were taught the rotation is based on the source, accepting at the storm centre (destination), the rotation is opposite.

In the Northern Hemisphere, a TRS is only known as a Hurricane in the Atlantic & Hurricane/Typhoon in the North Pacific, as in the Indian Ocean they are known as Cyclones, similar to S/H.

Regardless, your example was penguins swimming, so as they started moving they would be deflected to the right in the N/H or clockwise, as depicted in this picture from a NOAA Coriolis tutorial.

image.png.698f35a61a3ab80744e48f4538b03baf.png

• Thanks 1

Santiago is an awesome city. My cough kept me back but we took a Viator tour Monday morning. Will catch you up soon.

HEADS UP

Museums and funicular are mostly closed on  Mondays. Check before you go visit.

Initial flight to Heathrow done and dusted. Am feeling much better. Waiting on a flight north now.

Edited by NorbertsNiece
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bill B said:

This may be wasted but every good Englishman knows that the reason that polar bears don’t eat penguins is because they ant get the wrappers off!

• Haha 6

32 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Santiago is an awesome city. My cough kept me back but we took a Viator tour Monday morning. Will catch you up soon.

HEADS UP

Museums and funicular are mostly closed on  Mondays. Check before you go visit.

Initial flight to Heathrow done and dusted. Am feeling much better. Waiting on a flight north now.

Safe final leg NorbertsNiece, get home, get a cuppa and get a rest. You’ve worked tremendously on this thread. Thanks and safe travels in the future.

Steve

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Since the Coriolis Effect is to the right (N/H) and left (S/H), when air moves from high to low pressure, it must rotate in different directions at the source and destination. In meteorology, we were taught the rotation is based on the source, accepting at the storm centre (destination), the rotation is opposite.

In the Northern Hemisphere, a TRS is only known as a Hurricane in the Atlantic & Hurricane/Typhoon in the North Pacific, as in the Indian Ocean they are known as Cyclones, similar to S/H.

Regardless, your example was penguins swimming, so as they started moving they would be deflected to the right in the N/H or clockwise, as depicted in this picture from a NOAA Coriolis tutorial.

image.png.698f35a61a3ab80744e48f4538b03baf.png

This was easier when we just talked about how toilets flushed, and how "on the exact equator" you must not be able to flush at all.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

What is this? It was gross.

Looks like pemican - bison meat dried and ground into a powder and mixed with fat and chokecherries. Tastes as good as it sounds. Ought to be served with cattail root instead of rice and bell peppers.

Edited by whogo
  • Haha 2

If this was supposed to be dessert, I would guess its rice pudding and a gluten free brownie with sprinkles on top, with a side of marzipan made to look like vegetables?  🤢

• Haha 1

Mongolian Airlines in flight meal was tongue - sliced length-wise in one tin tray compartment and sliced cross-wise in another compartment on the tin tray..  My seat mate also looking incredulous leaned over and in a dignified voice asked ....do you have the Grey Poupon?

Competing only with Malawi Airlines - one marmite sandwich with four cubes of fruit floating in the juice from a tin of fruit cocktail.

Honorable mention goes to a 1970s' British Airways breakfast - when England did have a reputation for pretty bad food - well earned at that time. (no longer)

• Haha 3

On a Chinese domestic airline (I forget which one) the economy class meal consisted of their version of Spam in a bun (which I think was made with rice flour, chalk and way too much sugar). They did have free beer though (warm). 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1