Grandeur live 12/14 - 12/21

lorimay

Just now, CruzC2C said:

We are currently on the Grandeur in a Concierge D and we do not have a lounger on our balcony.  When I asked about there being no lounger on the balcony, I was told that only the higher suites now get loungers.  That this only applies to Grandeur.
 We have 2 chairs and a small table on our balcony.  I’m extremely disappointed with no lounger.  

Sometimes the floor plans indicate what patio furniture will be on your balcony. 

1 hour ago, CruzC2C said:

We are currently on the Grandeur in a Concierge D and we do not have a lounger on our balcony.  When I asked about there being no lounger on the balcony, I was told that only the higher suites now get loungers.  That this only applies to Grandeur.
 We have 2 chairs and a small table on our balcony.  I’m extremely disappointed with no lounger.  

That's disappointing.  We enjoy dining on our balcony and wonder whether that small table will work for a full meal.  My DW will be disappointed that there's no lounge.

Guess there were no funds available for guest comfort after the purchase of the Fabergé egg...

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I have absolutely no problem on Regent or Silversea when this nonsense happens. I ask one of the deck crew to move the stuff. Of course the answer is... but madam, the people may have run to their cabin or blah blah even though we both know that's not true. And then a nice empty lounger over there is pointed out and I thank the guy... and probably shouldn't....drag the nice lounge chair over and pull out the "saved" chair and replace it with the chair that had been offered to me. Everybody gets it. It's ridiculous. The staff is then stuck with removing the saved chair with book and hat out of the way because we wouldn't want to be accused of touching someone else's stuff. This seems to be getting worse and not better. What IS the solution to this problem?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

That's disappointing.  We enjoy dining on our balcony and wonder whether that small table will work for a full meal.  My DW will be disappointed that there's no lounge.

You can always send her up to the pool deck at 5AM to stake her claim on some pool loungers. Just make sure it's 5AM and not 6AM, since there are no clocks in the cabins.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CruzC2C said:

Ah, say it ain't so.  I specifically paid up for a Category D cabin on Grandeur later this yr due to the extra room for a lounger.

8 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Ah, say it ain't so.  I specifically paid up for a Category D cabin on Grandeur later this yr due to the extra room for a lounger.

Could it depend on if you have one of the bigger balconies?

2 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Could it depend on if you have one of the bigger balconies?

Hope that's correct!  We're sailing in the same numbered suite on the Grandeur as we did on Splendor and that one had the lounge and large table. 🤞

Bitob, any way you can count the total lounges on decks 11 and 12?  I really think the modifications made should make Grandeur better than Splendor with respect to chair hogs. Franck had given me the same explanation Christmas 2021 and Christmas 2022; nothing has changed on Splendor. 

I have found getting their early helps. I take a sign saying “Lounger $10” gets me a little spending money. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mrlevin said:

Bitob, any way you can count the total lounges on decks 11 and 12?  I really think the modifications made should make Grandeur better than Splendor with respect to chair hogs. Franck had given me the same explanation Christmas 2021 and Christmas 2022; nothing has changed on Splendor. 

I have found getting their early helps. I take a sign saying “Lounger $10” gets me a little spending money. 

He told me. 180 or so loungers for 700 guests. Therein lies the problem

4 minutes ago, bitob said:

He told me. 180 or so loungers for 700 guests. Therein lies the problem

I thought there were more on Grandeur.  About 140 on deck 11 plus a lot more on deck 12 with the expanded deck space. I guess I over estimated. 

Starting in February Stephane and Michael will alternate as GM on Grandeur and both are no nonsense managers so I hope the chair hog problem will swiftly disappear. 

Edited by mrlevin

27 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

We did the same.  We have sailed in Concierge D & E on Explorer and Splendor several times, always had a lounger.  I really feel this is a downgrade for this room category.  We were also told the rooms are slightly smaller, the closet sure feels like it. 

Just now, mrlevin said:

I thought there were more on Grandeur.  About 140 on deck 11 plus a lot more on deck 12 with the expanded deck space. I guess I over estimated. 

Starting in February Stephane and Michael will alternate as GM on Grandeur and both are no nonsense managers so I hope the chair hog problem will swiftly disappear. 

This has to be a corporate decision. I don’t think any gm can create a policy on his/her own 

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

This has to be a corporate decision. I don’t think any gm can create a policy on his/her own 

Corporate decision is not to remove items from saved loungers; there are other ways to address the problem. 

• Like 1

Just now, mrlevin said:

Corporate decision is not to remove items from saved loungers; there are other ways to address the problem. 

My impression from my discussion with Franck was that he does not think there is a solution. “Happens everywhere”

3 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Suggestions?

“Ladies and Gentlemen, the show will begin in approximately five minutes.  The spotlight is now on the gentleman who has been saving loungers on deck. Feel free to let him know your feelings.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

My impression from my discussion with Franck was that he does not think there is a solution. “Happens everywhere”

Another solution would be to deny any additional specialty restaurant reservations.  How about being called into GM office. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, the show will begin in approximately five minutes.  The spotlight is now on the gentleman who has been saving loungers on deck. Feel free to let him know your feelings.”

🤣  LOVE it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Another solution would be to deny any additional specialty restaurant reservations.  How about being called into GM office. 

Gotta catch 'em first!

1 minute ago, Kwaj girl said:

Gotta catch 'em first!

That is easy.  Just wait.  Especially on Grandeur where there are so many more CCTV. 

Edited by mrlevin
  • Haha 1

Just now, mrlevin said:

The cruise line will never punish paying guests 

2 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Same here - one of our biggest disappointments about the Grandeur - in so many areas they seemed to have "cut corners" to save money (and this is what I do for a living - provide  guidance to companies in the food and hospitality industry as to how to reduce costs without negatively affecting the customer experience) when in the long run it seems to have been not a very smart decision. The balcony of the concierge is more than large enough for two loungers, instead there are two chairs. While they do recline slightly, there is no where to put your feet. If passengers had proper loungers on their balcony, I believe that the lounge hog issue would be less of a problem.

• Like 2

Just now, NYC-London said:

Same here - one of our biggest disappointments about the Splendor - in so many areas they seemed to have "cut corners" to save money (and this is what I do for a living - provide  guidance to companies in the food and hospitality industry as to how to reduce costs without negatively affecting the customer experience) when in the long run it seems to have been not a very smart decision. The balcony of the concierge is more than large enough for two loungers, instead there are two chairs. While they do recline slightly, there is no where to put your feet. If passengers had proper loungers on their balcony, I believe that the lounge hog issue would be less of a problem.

I am guessing you can request one once on board. 

we are in a suite with a huge balcony. We rarely use it because we prefer a more social atmosphere at the pool. Food and drink services are available.  Not sure more chaises on balconies will make much of a difference. 

47 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Suggestions?

Do what my club (and many others that I have visited) does  - between the hours of opening and noon - any lounger that is "saved" without any BIS (butt in seat) for more than 30 minutes, all items are collected and put into a zippered tote bag to be picked up in the managers office. Works like a charm - after it happens once, never happens again. I have also seen this enforced at some public pools. As I mentioned before, it is not rocket science.

Last year I stayed at a resort - if you wanted to reserve a lounger, there was an additional fee. Otherwise, there were no towels on the lounger, only available once you sat down and put all of your stuff out an employee came to "make up the lounger" and it was clearly stated that if you leave within the first hour for more than 15 minutes, your items will be removed and the lounger will be provided to someone else - they were quite strict and it worked out well - loungers were rarely empty.

• Like 4