Should I pack shampoo and conditioner?

wallflower07

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

For what one pays for the "World" it seems like the cruise lines (including HAL) should have a pre-cruise menu where one can choose toiletries 🙂.  DW simply prefers unscented bar soap (such as Dove) and we both strongly dislike the various bath gels.  Shampoo seems like it is more a a ladies issue and I simply do as I am told :).

Hank

I don't mind bringing the product's we like. So this way we make it our home.

It doesn't cost much and we are happier.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We first heard of "Amazon Locker" here on these boards (it might have been one of your posts) and it sure makes a lot of sense for a long cruise.  One terrific advantage of being active on CC is learning about these kind of ideas.

Hank

I am not cut out for world cruising but if I was I would use HAL’s free luggage service and throw concise packing to the wind.

6 minutes ago, highscar said:

We were told the soap bars were discontinued due to Covid. 

I think bar soap ceased before Covid.  I have been carrying bars at least 6 years (I remember as my sister is the one who gave me the suggestion on a family trip)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am not cut out for world cruising but if I was I would use HAL’s free luggage service and throw concise packing to the wind.

DW and I manage to cruise, just about anywhere for any length of time, with two large suitcases and our carry-ons.  Had to smile at a regular MSC cruiser (always gets one of the larger suites in the Yacht Club) who claims his DW brings along 7 suitcases just for her stuff!  And then there is the legendary cruise story of the British Lady who would book two adjoining suites for her annual world cruise.  One suite was for herself and the other for her wardrobe!  Argh.

Hank

• Like 1

At one time you could buy certain brands of bar soap in the ship store that carries personal toiletry products (often found in the duty free liquor shop) .

Now I believe you can also ask the cabin steward for a house brand bar soap - small sample. Or be sure to pack up the ones in any hotel room you use prior to departure.

With so much global branding today, a trip to shops in any port city  can often offer what you are looking for too.  Or seek out the crew stores found in most port facilities, which are not off limits to passengers, for some of these daily necessities. 

Picked up randomly a bar of "Ayurvedic" soap once in India, which I now order stateside - that became my own "smell of cruising" fragrance favorite too. I love Biologe hair products and searched all over Hong Kong once looking for a larger supply for a longer cruise. No luck, but lo and behold that was the very brand used in the ship's salon. (Not a HAL ship)

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

Why did HAL stop using bars of soap or making them available? I hate body wash but most bars of soap are for my needs.

I 'm told that bar soap versus body wash is one of the factors that distinguish Baby Boomers from Millennials. I suspect, in addition, that keeping the dispensers in the cabins topped off is less costly than replenishing soap bars and small tubes of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Amazon locker.  They have them all over the world.   I have occasionally used them for long cruises when I want to travel carry on only. All of my cosmetics, ointments and salon products are waiting for me at the locker of my choosing. 

I just tried a dummy order and specified I wanted to pick it up in Rome, Italy.. it wouldn’t recognize Rome, Italy.  What did I do wrong?

4 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

I just tried a dummy order and specified I wanted to pick it up in Rome, Italy.. it wouldn’t recognize Rome, Italy.  What did I do wrong?

Find one first.   

EDITED TO FIX LINK

https://www.amazon.com/locker-location-near-me/s?k=locker+location+near+me

Edited by Mary229

34 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Went to your link, when I clicked “Find a locker” it went to the “Sorry, we couldn’t find that page” with one of the dogs of Amazon on it.

I fixed the link but another way is to use google maps.  Locate your hotel area on a map then search “nearby” for and Amazon locker 

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Amazon locker.  They have them all over the world.   I have occasionally used them for long cruises when I want to travel carry on only. All of my cosmetics, ointments and salon products are waiting for me at the locker of my choosing. 

It sounds like a great idea. However, what happens if a port is dropped during the cruise (for logistical or other reasons)? Can you get a refund for your purchase if you are unable to retrieve the goods?

1 minute ago, daisy-mae said:

It sounds like a great idea. However, what happens if a port is dropped during the cruise (for logistical or other reasons)? Can you get a refund for your purchase if you are unable to retrieve the goods?

Good question.  I use it for embarkation ports mainly so I can travel carry on only yet not give up my favorite toiletries.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

The website says if not picked up in 3 days items will be returned and you will be credited.

• Like 3

When on the Rotterdam this past October, the "conditioner" dispenser in the shower was labeled "lotion" and it felt, and smelled like the lotion by the sink.  Typically, we have been happy with the Elemis products, but since the questionable conditioner, I will bring mine from home.

3 hours ago, kapitch said:

When on the Rotterdam this past October, the "conditioner" dispenser in the shower was labeled "lotion" and it felt, and smelled like the lotion by the sink.  Typically, we have been happy with the Elemis products, but since the questionable conditioner, I will bring mine from home.

Yikes.  I would have asked my cabin steward to fix that.  I always bring my own body wash.