MDR Charge

pajazz28

48 minutes ago, sbyczko said:

well I would usually have about 5 apps and 3 or 4 entrees and at least 2 desserts.. I never wasted any food.  this new charge stinks.  I eat normal breakfast and lunch.. i enjoy the DR experience.. its one of main reasons i cruise.  the new menus they came out with dont look good so many nights ii would be hard for me to find a 3rd entree i would like.  there is more wasted food on Lido than DR.  just another cost cut when your 36 billion in debt.  

Sounds like dinner is going to cost you a few bucks a night going forward….

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Still don ‘t see a report of an actual charge?  Anyone have first hand experience of being charged?

I suspect that the charge had its intended effect of dissuading people from ordering more than 2 entrees.  People are no longer ordering more than 2 entrees if they don't plan on eating most/all of them, therefore there are an extremely small number of data points from which someone may be able to answer your question.

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Still don ‘t see a report of an actual charge?  Anyone have first hand experience of being charged?

The server on my Magic cruise was going to charge me $5 for a third entree. They didn't when I explained that one of them was so overcooked it was inedible so I was not paying for it. The Maitre'd apparently agreed because I wasn't charged but I never got to see or speak to the Maitre'd. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 4:46 PM, jsglow said:

I always marvel at this. Nobody would accuse me of being skinny. But I have enough trouble with my typical app, salad, one entree and dessert!

No one really eats 3+ entrees. it's mostly people who love to waste, overeat, or FOMO of not having every combination of every option at your disposal.

I can put away some serious food. I have my salad, appetizer, and entree (on top of everything else I ate throughout the day). It's the most ridiculous thing to think my vacation is ruined because it would cost me $5 to get TWO more entrees. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

No one really eats 3+ entrees. it's mostly people who love to waste, overeat, or FOMO of not having every combination of every option at your disposal.

I've heard plenty of stories of cruisers who have three or more plates of lobster on Lobster Night in the MDR on many different cruise lines.  I've heard very little about cruisers who down 3 main courses otherwise.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I've heard plenty of stories of cruisers who have three or more plates of lobster on Lobster Night in the MDR on many different cruise lines.  I've heard very little about cruisers who down 3 main courses otherwise.

I have seen plenty of guests ordering the whole lot, and having one bite of each plate, or just for bloody “Instagram” or “Tiktok”. For me, such people can walk the plank in a Tiger shark infested ocean.

On 12/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, happy cruzer said:

Yes, we know what the policies are.  Any actual experience were it was charged/enforced?  Thanks.

Yes, the server asked for sail/sign card/cabin # to charge the 3rd entree to.... just like they get your card to charge an order for drinks while in MDR. I've gotten a soda with dinner occasionally and they charged it to my sail and sign card. there is a statement regarding this upcharge for each entree over 2 on every menu, along with the MDR extra steakhouse options each night.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, jsglow said:

I always marvel at this. Nobody would accuse me of being skinny. But I have enough trouble with my typical app, salad, one entree and dessert!

Note to self: skip dessert on half the nights. I've had them all and really don't need the calories.

Me too! Many nights I will have one scoop of sherbet for dessert only because my cruise buddies are all getting one of the regular desserts, and I want something to nibble on too!

30 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I have seen plenty of guests ordering the whole lot, and having one bite of each plate, or just for bloody “Instagram” or “Tiktok”. For me, such people can walk the plank in a Tiger shark infested ocean.

A few times when my cruise buddy and I aren't "real hungry", we each order a different entree that we both want to try, and then split them. So, we are eating really 1/2 serving of 2 different ones. That has worked out very well. By dinner, I've usually eaten so much during the day that I'm not very hungry. Skip apps some nights if there isn't something I just REALLY like. Now, I have ordered 2 of the blackened pork tartlets or the spring rolls....I love those 2! But then I will skip dessert.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tennessee Rose said:

Yes. Charged on sail and sign card by server when the order is placed.

Interesting. I wonder if it's subjective? 

On our last cruise, I decided to get a 3rd lobster tail. Our server brought a lobster tail for me and my wife. I asked him how we were going to be charged? He smiled and said don't worry about it and to enjoy our lobster tails.

After we finished the dessert, I asked for him to come over and I tipped him $10. We got stellar service for the rest o the cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, john91498 said:

Interesting. I wonder if it's subjective? 

Very well may be. Could be something as simple as they were cooking too many for the number of orders placed for them, and just wanted them to be eaten instead of disposed of! On one cruise years ago, our large table of people were eating our desserts and the server brought 5-6 fruit and cheese plates, insisting that we eat them. So, we did!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 3:41 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

The charges in Chibang and Capitano are different than the MDR charge.  You get one meal in each of those restaurants (not considered one of the MDRs) for free.  If you dine in there again, it's $8 per person per meal.  There's no per item charge like the "excessive main course" in the MDR.

And there's one extra charge in the MDR that you didn't mention - the extra main courses from the steakhouse.  Those cost $23 each.

Its been a while since I've cruised with Carnival, and I've never had dinner anywhere but the MDR. Can you tell me more about how one can dine in Chibang and Capitano once each for free? 

50 minutes ago, new_cruiser_75 said:

Its been a while since I've cruised with Carnival, and I've never had dinner anywhere but the MDR. Can you tell me more about how one can dine in Chibang and Capitano once each for free? 

I haven't had a chance to dine at either, and I'll certainly defer to those who have, but I assume it's as simple as just going and handing in your cards as you do so.

2 hours ago, new_cruiser_75 said:

You check in/add your party to the waitlist for that restaurant on the Carnival app just like you were doing so for YTD, and you can see the estimated wait just like YTD. 

If you have YTD you can check in any time the restaurant is open for dinner.  If you have assigned dining you can only check in after a certain time, which I don't recall at the moment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tennessee Rose said:

Yes, the server asked for sail/sign card/cabin # to charge the 3rd entree to.... just like they get your card to charge an order for drinks while in MDR. I've gotten a soda with dinner occasionally and they charged it to my sail and sign card. there is a statement regarding this upcharge for each entree over 2 on every menu, along with the MDR extra steakhouse options each night.

Thanks for the report.  Was the charge $5 even or did they add gratuity?

Posted (edited)
On 12/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, Mike45LC said:

I once had more than two entrees when the steak was inedible without a chainsaw (I was given a replacement steak which was just as bad), and I finally was served a grilled chicken breast.  

I sometimes try a dish that I've never had before, and if it is not to my taste, I will have another dish.  But that is "only" two entrees.

On the Magic a couple of months ago I ordered one of the Emeril fish dishes.  When they served it to me there was no fish!  It was a pile of polenta or something with sauce.  I asked the server and he was confused as well.  He asked if I wanted something else, and I told him just the chicken breast.  He ended up bring me the chicken entree as well as another fish entree which actually had the fish on it.  I didn't say anything, and my husband ate the chicken so nothing was wasted.

Edited by Jeafl

On 1/7/2024 at 2:57 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

I've done it before. The only time I do two entrees is lobster night. I usually get the prime rib and a lobster while foregoing some of the extra apps. It's a great meal! There have been times where they brought out extra lobster and I wasn't going to let it go to waste. It's definitely too much food and the last thing on my mind is that "cruising isn't special" if I don't get that third plate. I mean, I just had prime rib and lobster. What first world problems?

• Like 1

we each order a different entree that we both want to try, and then split them. So, we are eating really 1/2 serving of 2 different ones.

In addition to this method, keep in mind you can order most entrees (off regular MDR menu) as apps (get a smaller version of the main entree barring the lobster and steak of course).  Apps are a good way to "taste" some of the entrees (you will still have your 2 entree selections like normal). 

That being said, if someone at your table only wants to order 1 entree for themselves you could have that person order 2nd entree for you in addition to your 2 entrees (we do this on lobster night for DS as I don't eat it so I give my lobster to DS so he has 3 total).