AON Insurance - Princess Cruise - fell and broke 2 bones near ankle 5 days BEFORE cruise

voljeep

What all can I expect AON to pay when I file my claim? - Fell on 10/25 - cruise on 10/31.

Cruise fare - Reimbursement or future cruise credit?

Emergency Department copay?

Hospital room co-pay?

RX co-pays?

other?

a link to previously discussed also appreciated

You probably need to invoke the Cancel For Any Reason provision of the policy. That would only provide you with a percentage of the cruise policy. 

Everything else regarding the medical costs etc are on you. Policy coverage doesn't begin until the day you board the ship.

• Thanks 1

I was in Canada on a land trip on 10/1 and broke my wrist. I had Allianz for my land trip but I was going to get on a cruise ship on 10/7 in Vancouver and had AON Princess insurance for the cruise portion.

After visiting the ER in Canada - I choose to return to the US for my surgery.

Long story short - Princess/AON treated it like a medical condition/medical trip cancellation and fully refunded my money within about 2 weeks. They did not pay for any medical as the cruise had not started. I sent them the ER reports and that was it for proof.

Allianz paid for my medical (ER visits) in Canada plus my hotel. They arranged for a flight home (on 10/3). Once I was home - I was responsible for all of my medical (surgery, etc...).

-----

So if you were home and broke your ankle - AON will pay the cost of your cruise (minus the cost of insurance) and you are responsible for all of your medical expenses through your regular insurance. This is considered a trip cancellation.

AON doesn't kick in until you leave on your cruise or cruise tour.

Edited by Coral

7 hours ago, klfrodo said:

You probably need to invoke the Cancel For Any Reason provision of the policy. That would only provide you with a percentage of the cruise policy. 

Everything else regarding the medical costs etc are on you. Policy coverage doesn't begin until the day you board the ship.

This is a valid medical issue. He will most likely receive all of his money back for the cruise (minus the cruise insurance cost). 

It is considered cruise/trip cancellation due to medical issue as far as policy is concerned.

There is no pre-existing condition issue here unless he had a previous ankle condition recently. If there was something - it would be a different story and he would seek FCC. I doubt this is the issue though.

Edited by Coral

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is a valid medical issue. He will most likely receive all of his money back for the cruise (minus the cruise insurance cost). 

It is considered cruise/trip cancellation due to medical issue as far as policy is concerned.

There is no pre-existing condition issue here unless he had a previous ankle condition recently. If there was something - it would be a different story and he would seek FCC. I doubt this is the issue though.

I hope you're correct, but I don't see how.

If coverage doesn't begin until 10/31 and accident happens on 10/25, why would that be a covered event?

Maybe @iamtrustworthy can chime in to help me better understand.

32 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If coverage doesn't begin until 10/31 and accident happens on 10/25, why would that be a covered event?

I had the same thing happen. I broke my wrist on 10/1 and had a cruise on 10/8 (sorry had date wrong by one day). 

You can claim illnesses that happen before the cruise. There is a pre-existing clause but if it was a new break and no previous issues, it would be covered. 

You are confusing trip cancellation with trip interruption. If it happened on the cruise, it would be trip interruption. If it happened before, it is trip cancellation.

The OP would have paid for the insurance on 7/31. It would be trip cancellation and is covered by AON.

AON is not going to pay for any medical bills but will cover the cost of the trip. If he had broken it on the trip - it is trip interruption and medical bills would be covered to some extent (primary vs secondary plays into this).

Edited by Coral

53 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If this helps you understand - 

Trip cancellation goes into effect the day you buy the insurance (final payment or before such as deposit date). Not the date you add the insurance but the day you buy the insurance.

Trip interruption goes into effect the day your trip starts (this can vary depending on the plan and the dates covered). Most cruise insurance goes into effect the day the cruise or cruise tour starts.

@voljeep fell on 10/25 and the cruise was on 10/31. This is trip cancellation part of AON. No medical will be covered, just the cost of the cruise minus the cost of insurance.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Hi klfrodo,

If the policy was purchased at least one day before he / she fell and broke 2 bones near their ankle, and the fall wasn't related to an excluded Pre-Existing Medical Condition in the Lookback period, I expect their Trip Cancellation claim is a covered claim.

In most plans, but not all, the Trip Cancellation coverage starts 12:01 am of the day after purchase.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, klfrodo said:

klfrodo...

This answer doesn't quite make sense, so could you explain your thinking?

OP stated:  "Fell on 10/25 - cruise on 10/31"

Assuming they had appropriate travel insurance, if the physician (or surgeon, etc.) stated that they could not travel, this is *exactly* one of the types of events that should be covered... cancelling the trip for covered medical reasons.

What would not be covered would be the medical/surgical costs, because those are not incurred *during* the trip.

And those should be covered by the traveler's regular medical care, same as if there had not been any trip planned.

GC

9 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi klfrodo,

If the policy was purchased at least one day before he / she fell and broke 2 bones near their ankle, and the fall wasn't related to an excluded Pre-Existing Medical Condition in the Lookback period, I expect their Trip Cancellation claim is a covered claim.

In most plans, but not all, the Trip Cancellation coverage starts 12:01 am of the day after purchase.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I now have a better understanding. To voljeep, I misspoke and I hope I didn't lead you down the wrong path.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I now have a better understanding. To voljeep, I misspoke and I hope I didn't lead you down the wrong path.

thanks to all - kinda thought I had a covered medical reason for sure...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

klfrodo...

This answer doesn't quite make sense, so could you explain your thinking?

OP stated:  "Fell on 10/25 - cruise on 10/31"

Assuming they had appropriate travel insurance, if the physician (or surgeon, etc.) stated that they could not travel, this is *exactly* one of the types of events that should be covered... cancelling the trip for covered medical reasons.

What would not be covered would be the medical/surgical costs, because those are not incurred *during* the trip.

And those should be covered by the traveler's regular medical care, same as if there had not been any trip planned.

GC

It made no sense.