Then and now

lenquixote66

What are some foods that you ate when you were young but never eat now and vice versa ?

Foods that I ate when I was young but have not eaten in about 50 years are steak,lamb chops.chicken ,Turkey,

Foods that I eat now but never ate when I was young are shrimp,scallops,eel .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What are some foods that you ate when you were young but never eat now and vice versa ?

Foods that I ate when I was young but have not eaten in about 50 years are steak,lamb chops.chicken ,Turkey,

Foods that I eat now but never ate when I was young are shrimp,scallops,eel .

Spam…then and asparagus now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 9:51 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Spam…then and asparagus now.

Hi CGT, I should have wished you a Happy New Year.......so beleated.

I LOVE asparagus😃. As for Spam? I honestly think I have never eaten it in my entire life.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:42 AM, Lois R said:

Hi CGT, I should have wished you a Happy New Year.......so beleated.

I LOVE asparagus😃. As for Spam? I honestly think I have never eaten it in my entire life.

Hi Lois…Happy New Year…well…at least let’s hope it’s better than last year…lol.

Spam…is an acquired taste.  The Hawaiians go crazy for Spam.  It turns out that during WW II Spam became a form of monetary exchange and the Hawaiians used it in their rice dishes.  It caught on and never lost its appeal in Hawaii.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 11:35 PM, Harters said:

And, from the similar influence of American troops, Spam is popular in Korea and makes a good addition to kimchi fried rice. 

I agree spam works well in kimchi fried rice! For me, kimchi was something I couldn't get past the smell of originally. But after getting into Kdramas I was more willing to give it another try. Now I really love the flavors. Seeing it featured so prominently in shows made me more curious. Looking at how much kimchi Korea eats annually as per, https://gowithguide.com/blog/south-korea-tourism-statistics-2023-all-you-need-to-know-5254 it's no surprise it's become their national food.

The cultural exposure from dramas definitely opened my eyes to appreciate it more. Funny how our tastes can change over time like that.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:35 AM, Harters said:

And, from the similar influence of American troops, Spam is popular in Korea and makes a good addition to kimchi fried rice. 

At one time dog was also popular in Korean cuisine.  Popularity does not necessarily make good cuisine.

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

At one time dog was also popular in Korean cuisine.

I'm  sure I've read  that South Korea has only recently banned its use as a meat. 

• 2 months later...

Growing up my Mom was a great cook with rustic entrees like fried chicken, meatloaf, pot roast, etc. but used a lot of canned veggies that I hated; like canned spinach or asparagus but I like fresh asparagus and spinach now.

In general I like more veggies now than as a child, which I think is very common.

Also I didn't eat Mayo until my mid twenties because I thought I hated it.  Mom used Miracle whip instead and I hated it.  once I taste real Mayo, I loved it