Bronze Medallions ?

DaveOKC

5 hours ago, Petronillus said:

If I've already heard about medallions, I wasn't paying attention. This thread prompted me to take a look at my cruise history, and I've just discovered that with our last cruise we have completed exactly 100 cruise days. Does that mean that we'll get bronze (entry-level) medallions at some point in our upcoming cruise in February? Will I also be schooled in the secret handshake?

Hard to say what will happen, as it seems to vary so much. Maybe you’ll get a key to the clubhouse. Hopefully you’ll at least find bronze medallions in your stateroom one evening.

The Medallion business certainly was not on my radar screen either until we sailed on Nieuw Statendam in April 2019. We were surprised to find a letter in our stateroom on embarkation inviting us to a presentation party hosted by the Captain. Even my dog was invited up to shake paws as photos were taken of recipients up to, I think, platinum level. Then we were invited to proceed to the main dining room for a Mariners lunch. Very pleasant, but what I’m most eagerly anticipating is the free 4* laundry coming soon.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I think a medal presentation depends on the captain's whims. Prior to Covid we were to receive Silver Medallions. And they were left on our bed. Later learned only one other couple was to receive their medallions and the captain decided not to have a ceremony for just the two couples.

15 hours ago, Petronillus said:

This thread prompted me to take a look at my cruise history, and I've just discovered that with our last cruise we have completed exactly 100 cruise days. Does that mean that we'll get bronze (entry-level) medallions at some point in our upcoming cruise in February?

If you are saying you reached 100 actual 'heads in beds' days on board a HAL ship, then you should have received the medallion formerly known as copper on that cruise (suite and spending bonus days do not count on the Medallion Mariner awards). 

Unlike the newest Mariner program, 'benefits' (such as they are) on the previous/medallion Mariner program don't have to wait for the next cruise. Or at least aren't supposed to under the terms of that program. 

Earlier this year on the Nieuw STATENDAM Rome-Amsterdam our 500 day medallion was left in our stateroom. I don’t remember if they had a mariners event but do know if they did we didn’t receive an invite. I figured it was just another cut back. We did enjoy the in person event when we received the 100 & 300. 

43 minutes ago, highscar said:

In days gone by the medallions were awarded for miles sailed.  I have my parents pin and medallion for 40,000 miles. 

I remember those days! I even have my first medallion under that program, which was the Mariner Program before the one before the Star Mariner program. 
Those first medallions under that program were silver, and the ribbons were orange and blue stripes. Very pretty ribbons. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you think that your medallions will end up collecting dust at home.    Leave them in your cabin or return them to the front desk - they will be used again and not go to waste.

Bravo! That needs to be said, apparently over and over, as some of the people who don't want the medallions take them anyway, then just throw them away. What a waste of materials, and a combined huge waste of space in landfills everywhere! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you think that your medallions will end up collecting dust at home.    Leave them in your cabin or return them to the front desk - they will be used again and not go to waste.

Yes, this is what we did when we received them a few weeks ago. They were just handed to us by our steward, and while I appreciate the recognition I don’t need them at home. I’ve seen them, so that’s it. Left them to be reused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Zuiderdam in July of this year I received my platinum medallion (700 actual days) at a ceremony in the MDR, along with Silver and Gold recipients. After our ceremony the dining room was opened for other mariners (3*? surely 4 and 5*) for lunch.

A lot of people complain about the long ceremonies where recipients file up slowly to have photos with the captain and hotel manager. That may be why the bronze medallions are just delivered. On the world cruise last spring, one of my sisters got her bronze delivered, with a note to attend a photo opportunity if she wanted (not a ceremony). But at 128 days, even the first tiime HAL passengers would get bronze medallions.

This fall's medal ceremony on the grand south america was the most efficient I have seen. Cruise director Jeremy called the silver, gold and platinum recipients up, but just as one arrived and started posing, he called the next name to keep things moving. Then we all headed to the dining room for a mariner's lunch.

There were so many on this 73-day cruise that the recipients were divided into two groups for ceremonies and lunch on subsequent days.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 3:27 PM, sambamama said:

I may not get a second 100 night medal with the high single supplement policy now, and my doing much more land travel, and HAL changing so much of what I loved about cruising, but it would be a shame if they got rid of this ceremony.  It is much more meaningful than the Mariner brunch, IMHO!

There isn't a second 100 night medallion -- just ones for 100, 300, 500 and 700 nights. But don't feel bad -- there is no benefit other than receiving the medallion.