Sydney to East Coast US--All at Once or Break It up?

DCThunder

I'll be flying back from Sydney to the US East Coast in November 2024 following a cruise.  What are the pros and cons of doing it all at once vs. taking a day in SF or LA before flying back east?  And has anyone done the 15+ hour flight from SYD to DFW?  Is that as awful as it sounds?  I'd still need to fly from DFW to CLT to get home, so there is that too.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, nini said:

Have you considered a stop and a few days in Hawaii?

Unless this is being done through Hawaiian Airlines and their free stopover program, you would be "breaking" the through fare from the east coast to Australia.  Instead of that through fare, you would be paying the sum of a ticket to Hawaii, added to a ticket from HNL to SYD.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Unless this is being done through Hawaiian Airlines and their free stopover program, you would be "breaking" the through fare from the east coast to Australia.  Instead of that through fare, you would be paying the sum of a ticket to Hawaii, added to a ticket from HNL to SYD.

Just a thought to book a "separate mini vacation" before proceeding to Australia since they are coming from the east coast.

However, @FlyerTalker is exceedingly more knowledgeable than me on these logistics.

• 3 months later...

According to the Qantas website the flight from Sydney to LAX is 13h 45m.  The one from Sydney to DFW is 15h 05m  Looks like an hour and 20 minutes difference.  May not matter if you can sleep through it.  I would make the decision based on the best schedule for connecting flights considering total travel time between SYD and CLT.

This was quite a few years ago now but when I was in Sydney and was flying to New York I did it in one hit. The QF flight left SYD around 10am landing at LAX early morning and then I flew the last bit right after. The timing of it was pretty decent because I woke up early stayed up for a leisurely lunch onboard, watched a film or two and went to bed taking breakfast shortly before arriving in LAX. Despite it being the same day it was quite easy to imitate it being overnight. 

However, I'm probably not the best person to ask because I don't really experience jetlag...Upon arrival in NYC that evening I showered, ate dinner and went to bed and woke up the next morning just fine without the need for an alarm clock...

1 hour ago, fbgd said:

This was quite a few years ago now but when I was in Sydney and was flying to New York I did it in one hit. The QF flight left SYD around 10am landing at LAX early morning and then I flew the last bit right after. 

Is it back when Qantas used to do LAX-JFK on their own planes? They had a pretty easy setup for a while where an aircraft did SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD (was also BNE or AKL at times instead of SYD) and was able to collect passengers connecting to/from other QF flights (but only other QF flights, and only as part of a trip in or out of the US, i.e. you couldn't stop in LAX for two days and then continue to JFK on QF metal).