ANY CREAKING CABINS ON ASCENT?

hcat

A post on the "BEYOND CREAKY"  thread   claims that 100 rooms on ASCENT have reported creaking issues which are causing sleepless nights for cruisers.

The noise, allegedly,  comes from behind walls, in the ceiling with lots of banging.  Guest Services responses and failed attempts to rectify are also mentioned.  

If anyone can post any general or specific info here, it would be helpful.  We are paid in full for a Jan 28th  Ascent cruise in AQ Class..Hoping for the best and ordering  ear plugs..planned to use them for the shows  and hope not  to aid sleep.

Wonder if anyone from Cruise Crituc is looking into these issues?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

it would..

I am not on the website where specific cabins are listed so must ask folks here to help out..If someone is on that  site for Ascent maybe they could share the AQ Class cabin nos they heard about.

• Like 1

We just got off the Ascent today and I know several people within the suites complained about loud noises throughout the night, especially the first night as we had rough seas. Several people were discussing with the Retreat hosts but I don’t know if it was resolved. We were in an Aqua Sky suite forward and did not hear any loud noises. 

We were in NCL Encore Dec 10-17, creaking was in walls, but we were caught in the storm and missed a port and was delayed 5 hours on disembarking and getting back to Miami port.  The walls did creak, but the ship handled the wind VERY well.  
We just use the white noise app on our phones and drown out the noise.  
The Ascent is a new ship, probably just settling in, 😊😊, just a guess.  
We have booked our first cruise with Celebrity on the Ascent for December 2024 and are very excited.  We booked a Sunset Verandah. ❤️❤️

I took a gander at that other FB site linked by the poster on the Beyond Creaking thread on this site.  I find FB hard to navigate, but could confirm there were reports and secondhand reports of creaking consistent with ones that have been reported for Beyond since it launched.  I did not see 100s or even dozens of individual reports but would no more question the reports provided than anything on here (except here often people post proof, or such longtime posters they come with credibility, and I know some of you have met each other over the years).   It also seems the other site has some posters that seem surprised by the ship potentially having issues, etc. 

Interestingly there was a theory provided that seemed plausible.  It went... Even when and if the issues can be resolved in one room, if any of the adjoining rooms, including above and below have creaks they may be heard.  It was also stated that the doors were often not fully closed, which sounds to me like a contributing factor but not the main issue that's been a cause of the continued issues plaguing the Beyond (and seemingly the Ascent).  Something like the doors not easily latching is a step above the hangers and bathroom door slam issue, but not something anyone trying to find noise wouldn't identify rain or shine, fear seas or otherwise.

My view is Celebrity and Royal (again) dropped the ball in working to resolve the issue regardless of the cause, until demonstrates otherwise.  The passenger experience falls on Celebrity.  At this point there should be an in room video explainer and mitigation process that doesn't involve foam earplugs. 

• Like 1

thanks for checking out the other site..

If no one posts here with first hand info or a video with sound (similar to the Beyond  posts).. then I think we will be Ok.

There is an easy cure to the clacking hangers... but what has been described on BEYOND.. seems stuctural???

We were forward on deck 8 in a porthole verandah and I listened out for any of the noises described in the Beyond thread. We heard nothing. Then we were midship on deck 10 in a sky suite….again, we heard nothing unusual. Weather was calm the whole time. I will also note that the doors to the balconies latch differently than on S class. There is not a lever that is pivoted up and down. It would be very, very, perhaps even impossible to close the door incorrectly. So I doubt unusual noises are coming from doors that weren’t shut all the way. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

We were on the Madien Voyage and the following week on the Ascent... Trust me  most nights we had  the creaking}/popping sound, Sky Suite 10145.  Our neighbors also had problems.  They had a team of engineers from the Ship Yard in France on board the first week.  They listened to my recording, and I told them it was exactly the same noises that happened on the Beyond, they worked for several hours. It was much better, we slept well for 2 nights.  Then on turn around day, that night it started back up again.  We spoke to the Retreat Concierge and asked to have the Ship Yard team come back but we're told they left and flew home! The noise was constant every couple of seconds.  Not all suites experienced this, but a number of people shared thier experience and were told (as initially we were) that the ships was "settling" which is not true. The second week the Ascent Maintance team came in, opened up the ceiling, spent several hours and said they couldn't fix it, it was in the walls. We were offered a different suite several doors down, but when the Head Butler took us down to see it, within seconds it was creaking/popping also! 

I am not an engineer, but the design of the ships Beyond and Ascent, adding more suites could be the problem? We spent weeks on the Edge and a month on the Apex in the same area and did not have any problems. Also sailed over 21 years on just about every Celebrity ship, never the problems of the Beyond /Ascent. We will not sail on these two ships again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is firsthand - but not AQ. We were in 6271, an IV, for the December 10-17 sailing. We had creaking, but even more irritating, there was a dripping or popping sound in the upper left of the window. Try sleeping at night with a drip….drip….drip. We reported it, and maintenance was in our stateroom and worked on it. Unfortunately they did not resolve the sound. Our room steward also heard the dripping/popping, and acknowledged the noise, and the creaking.

I had earplugs and had to use them. I had no choice. I did not realize others were complaining until reading this thread.

The issue with doors latching that I had read about on the other other message board seemed to be about the hallway and bathroom doors, magnets, and not the balcony door.  I think it was a different commenter that said the IV windown open a bit eliminated whatever noise that person had in their cabin. 

My thinking is there's a few different issues being experienced by passengers depending on the room type, but that there is undoubtedly a wall and ceiling issue that some rooms have and those can't be avoided through self help.  

One upshot of the much criticized Retreat Lounge is seems like a good place to exchange info among passengers and confirm issues.   

Has anyone overlayed the rooms with issues with a deck map to determine if there is proximity to the stretch part of the ship? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cap_D said:

The issue with doors latching that I had read about on the other other message board seemed to be about the hallway and bathroom doors, magnets, and not the balcony door.  I think it was a different commenter that said the IV windown open a bit eliminated whatever noise that person had in their cabin. 

My thinking is there's a few different issues being experienced by passengers depending on the room type, but that there is undoubtedly a wall and ceiling issue that some rooms have and those can't be avoided through self help.  

One upshot of the much criticized Retreat Lounge is seems like a good place to exchange info among passengers and confirm issues.   

Has anyone overlayed the rooms with issues with a deck map to determine if there is proximity to the stretch part of the ship? 

We will be in AQ Class on Ascent so we could not enter the RETREAT to share info.. Posting  on CC is a good start!  We will  also ask our Roll Call group to post any issues they experience.  Hope things are smooth sailing for all.of us!

With BEYOND, I suggested that a sticky be created,  but did not happen..  Maybe a "Creaky Cabin" sticky could cover BEYOND and ASCENT!  (needs approval)

An deck overlay would be great but seems like alot of work and research,  as no one seems to have a list.

Sounds like a design flaw or quality  control issue ??  We are booked on APEX for 2025, but after that we'll avoid E Class..Def not booking XL anytime soon.

• Like 1

We were in a Magic Carpet Suite 10178, for the Dec 10 sailing of the Ascent.  YES, we CAN confirm there was a lot of creaking.  We both wear ear plugs to bed so not a big issue for us.  But we were surprised for a new ship that creaking was occurring.  We have been on the Apex 2x and do not remember any creaking.  The Apex rooms were in the exact location of the Ascent room  we booked.  Now for a real positive, The Magic Carpet on the Ascent was so quiet you never knew it was moving, however on the Apex you knew when it was moving because of the noise.  For us this was not an issue on all three sailings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hcat said:

what type of ear plugs are good for sleeping?  ones I looked at are for loud  concert sound...maybe we need both

I use very simple earplugs from Amazon.

Mack's Soft Moldable Silicone Putty Ear Plugs - Kids Size, 6 Pair - Comfortable Small Earplugs for Swimming, Bathing,Travel, Loud Events and Flying | Made in USA

now I could get the Bose, but between my sleep apnea dental device and a chin harness to keep my month shut, along with my sleep apnea mask and tubing someone may mistake me as an alien.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We just completed a Dec. 17-24 sailing with mostly fair weather, and YES we had significant creaking and popping in our room - Deck 9, aft Sunset Veranda. Our family on deck 11 (aft) experienced the same, they said it seemed like the ship was coming apart it was so loud at night. There was also extreme swaying motion in all parts of the ship and we overheard many guests complaining that the ship seemed poorly constructed and unstable.