How does dining work on Princess?

lilyhammer

Just booked on Regal Princess and I noticed that unlike booking on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, it did not ask me anything about dining. Does Princess not have fixed dining times like other lines? If so, when are they and how do I request a time? I prefer fixed seating as I always have a seat ready to go and can head right in without waiting.

If not, do I need to make reservations on the app every day then? It looks like these reservations can only be made after final payment? Are there any tips/tricks or caveats to this? I usually like to dine early - what is the earliest that Princess dining starts? 

Seating begins at 5 PM. Princess calls it Dine My Way, and you can just go and stand in line, but most people select a time on the Medallion App. You have to select the time and dining room for each night, so it takes a little time. Point is, you can if that is your preference.  It is for us too.

There is supposed to be a new App soon called the Princess Cruises App. Hopefully it will fix some of the glitches of the Medallion App, but it's release has been postponed. Just so you're aware.

• Like 1

There are multiple dining rooms. I'm on a similar Royal Princess atm and it has the same 3 dining rooms. For this cruise, Allegro and Concerto dining rooms are for those who reserved a dining time. Symphony is for any time dining where no reservations required. So I assume it'll be similar for Regal.

Breakfast is 7am to 9am

Lunch is 12noon to 1:30pm 

DInner is 5pm to 9pm

Which dining rooms open at what time for breakfast/brunch/afternoon tea/lunch vary based on sea/port days and is shown on the daily Princess patter. Dinner is open on all 3 every evening.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. Interesting about the medallion app being replaced by a new app. I can't seem to log into the app using my email/PW (keeps giving server error) but I could log in with my booking #. Looks like Regal princess uses Symphony and Concerto for reserved seating.

So I was able to make a reservation for the same time every night. Assuming you like your waiters the first night, is it possible to lock them in for the rest of the cruise, or is it luck of the draw where you sit every night?

6 minutes ago, lilyhammer said:

So I was able to make a reservation for the same time every night. Assuming you like your waiters the first night, is it possible to lock them in for the rest of the cruise, or is it luck of the draw where you sit every night?

Good for you! Yup, luck of the draw. But once aboard, if you like your servers, ask someone white jacketed. If not then ask for the Dine Line number and they'll fix it.  Remember your table number.

I have not been able to book same time dining. I have the medallion app. The only thing I can see is evening. Once I continue a reply Sorry... we could not find any reservations at this time. Please check back later. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by travelingbums

On 12/25/2023 at 10:23 AM, travelingbums said:

I have not been able to book same time dining. I have the medallion app. The only thing I can see is evening. Once I continue a reply Sorry... we could not find any reservations at this time. Please check back later. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you and @travelingbums
Downloaded the new App?

search app tool:  princess travel

Once you log in and see your cruise, click book dining.  I just booked my dining same time every night.  Much easier than the old App.  Click on the heart symbol if you’ve already reserved to see what is booked.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 57eric said:

The Princess web site says "Request the same time each night if you prefer the same waitstaff."  This can only be done after boarding?

It may be more likely you will get the same waitstaff, if you’re booked that way.

most ships, if you’re happy with the table and waitstaff, then I would request that from the DRO/MD after the meal. Or, most of the time, it’s the hostess that will enter that in the computer for you.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, travelingbums said:

I called Princess yesterday and was told the Princess Sun is a new ship. Reserve your dining 30 days out. 

The dining may not have opened yet.  But, 30 days out?  I wouldn’t trust that info. Check with others on your roll call, as they may post when dining opens.

Also, follow the thread,

Sun Princess, there should be information on the dining opening up.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:01 AM, lilyhammer said:

Thanks for the info. Interesting about the medallion app being replaced by a new app. I can't seem to log into the app using my email/PW (keeps giving server error) but I could log in with my booking #. Looks like Regal princess uses Symphony and Concerto for reserved seating.

You can ask the DRO/Head waiter 

to give you the same table each night.  Most of the ships have told us to see the hostess at the podium on your way out.  They will enter it in the computer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

You can ask the DRO/Head waiter 

to give you the same table each night.  Most of the ships have told us to see the hostess at the podium on your way out.  They will enter it in the computer.  

You can talk to the Restaurant Manager (head waiter) but it really isn't necessary.  Reserve same time and dining room for each night (minus any specialty nights). Dine where you are assigned the first night and if you are satisfied with table and staff, ask the seating coordinator at the front to keep you there for the whole cruise. They normally have a two sided chart where they enter the regular parties for early  (5 or 5:20pm) and late (7pm on). If your reservation is between early and late (say 5:40 to 6:40pm) it might be harder to manage since they may not be able to guarantee the table open for you.

If you didn't like the table or waiter, ask the seating coordinator to fix your seating for the remainder of the cruise but in another section. We did that on Discovery after a bad experience the first night (waiter was great but table location and surrounding tables were annoying. Elaine Torres hooked us up with one of the top waiters in the room and a much better location for the rest of the cruise).

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  I conclude that, unless you really want to jump through hoops, traditional dining is dead on Princess.  To me, the most important component is not the same time, the same table, or the same servers, but the same dinner companions.  Over the years this has been one of the greatest sources of cruising enjoyment for me (although, of course, it hasn’t been foolproof). 

Is it reasonably easy to be seated with others using open dining, or are my wife and I likely to be pressured to take a table for two?

On 12/24/2023 at 7:38 PM, lilyhammer said:

Just booked on Regal Princess and I noticed that unlike booking on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, it did not ask me anything about dining. Does Princess not have fixed dining times like other lines? If so, when are they and how do I request a time? I prefer fixed seating as I always have a seat ready to go and can head right in without waiting.

If not, do I need to make reservations on the app every day then? It looks like these reservations can only be made after final payment? Are there any tips/tricks or caveats to this? I usually like to dine early - what is the earliest that Princess dining starts? 

I'm curious about this.  Why did you book a cruise without researching the cruise line to understand if they were a good match for you? 

You can fully pay for your cruise early if you want to.  Otherwise, supposedly need to wait, although newbie guests have reported being able to make dining res in DMW.  YMMV. 

You can make request in person on night one to keep same table, time and waiters which DMW doesn't offer nor guarantee.  This is normally successful for one DR or another.  Dining hours start at 5pm or 5:30pm depending on ship and sector sailing.  Ask others in the Roll Call what they are seeing.  Anyway, once you do have access to DMW, the available times are shown.

You are most likely to get same table and waiters if interested in dining early (at open).

On 12/25/2023 at 10:01 AM, lilyhammer said:

Princess does not necessarily release all three DRs into DMW for advance booking.  In fact, I would say more often than not, it is two only as you found.  Since you are seeing available DRs, it looks like you can book ahead of policy timeline.

On 12/27/2023 at 3:18 PM, 57eric said:

The Princess web site says "Request the same time each night if you prefer the same waitstaff."  This can only be done after boarding?

Yes, that is bogus language from when the original Medallion Class app and DMW was released.  There is no possible way for DMW to block guests into the same table each night.  The DR mgmt team can make it happen though on the ship by request.

6 hours ago, 57eric said:

Thanks for the responses.  I conclude that, unless you really want to jump through hoops, traditional dining is dead on Princess.  To me, the most important component is not the same time, the same table, or the same servers, but the same dinner companions.  Over the years this has been one of the greatest sources of cruising enjoyment for me (although, of course, it hasn’t been foolproof). 

Is it reasonably easy to be seated with others using open dining, or are my wife and I likely to be pressured to take a table for two?

It is even that much more difficult to have the same group of "strangers" blocked into the same Sharing table as a Private table (the latter is quite easy normally by request).  On night one, you may be seated at a Sharing table with other guests who just randomly picked your time, but intend to dine at other times on other nights, walk-ups who said they wanted to share, or possibly other guests with your mindset.  All you can do is ask around the table and see if you get at least a consensus from another couple or two and then ask DR Mgmt to block you into that Sharing table.  Perhaps on night two, any missing chairs will get filled by other couple(s) who are also looking for what you have.  DR Mgmt would know now to inquire about what potential couples want to do before placing them at your table.  Otherwise you have a rotating couple or 4 seats.  Best I can suggest.

Another option I have heard of is that couples "meet" on the Roll Call and decide they are all interested in a Sharing Table and you present that on night one to the host or DR Mgr and they can fix you up. 

So, I agree, you do need to jump some hoops to get the old style sharing table, but not so difficult for a private table.

23 hours ago, 57eric said:

Yes, it is usually easy to be seated at a larger shared table. If you meet people you like and want to eat together again, that is also possible. You can either agree to meet and do walk up or ask for a reservation 

On 12/24/2023 at 7:38 PM, lilyhammer said:

I too thought this was odd but once I made full payment then I think within a few days I could go on line and reserve my dining by time and size of table.  And for the Grand Princess they provided a stagger time slots like every 15 minutes.  Not sure what never ships did, but I just select same time every day for solo table and I got it and I got the same wait staff too.

• Like 1

Does anyone know which of the "main" dining rooms on Regal Princess has the Reserve and Suite Class area?  Can't seem to find that information any where on Princess site and their customer chat is a nightmare.  One video walkthrough I saw said Symphony so that is where I made reservations but want to change asap if that is incorrect. thanks!

On 12/29/2023 at 12:33 PM, Torfamm said:

Yes, it is usually easy to be seated at a larger shared table. If you meet people you like and want to eat together again, that is also possible. You can either agree to meet and do walk up or ask for a reservation 

That's great news.  I just made final payment and set up my dining, requesting a shared table every night except when we're planning to do specialty dining.  I was recently on another line where it was difficult NOT to be seated at a table for two.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:33 PM, 57eric said:

I can't believe that Princess finally ended  traditional dining. I guess Covid gave them the opportunity to change over. I have been predicting this would happen for years and every time someone said it will never happen.  Last time I ate in traditional was 2006.  I have to say that there was never an issue with any waiter on any of the lines that I have sailed on. The days of the waiters chatting you up are over. The service would run much smoother if people would just accept whoever shows up at the table and stop trying to get the same staff every night.  I agree the main focus of traditional is having the same table mates. However with the buffet and specialty restaurants there is no guarantee that they will show up each night.

• Like 1