New Princess App available

iamaqt2

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Feb 1st was the original date. Princess has postponed shutting down the old app. I'm pretty sure that YouTuber reported Feb 1 when that was the date and then reported it had changed when it changed. I know she isn't always accurate but in this case, she was reporting what Princess said. So I'll give her a break. 😄 This time. 🤣

Anyway, this stuff with the app drives me crazy as a Software Engineer. The way these things should work is that there is a database on the backend and then the frontend -- both the web and the app -- calls an API to retrieve that data. If it's set up like that, every client on the front end -- web, new app, old app -- would always show the same thing because it's the same data from the same source.

However, Princess' system does have to interact with POLAR the booking system that TAs use. That complicates things a bit, especially if they aren't kept in sync simultaneously. I know people have reported that sometimes if you wait a few hours, the right data appears so maybe they only sync the two systems periodically instead of at the time data changes.

That said, it seems to me that they do a particularly bad job. It makes me wonder what is going on back there where the bits & bytes are stored. I bet it isn't pretty. 😉 

And don't forget about the acceptance test.  After acceptance, all glitches fixed cost extra money. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

And don't forget about the acceptance test.  After acceptance, all glitches fixed cost extra money. 

Industry rule: The later you find the problem, the more it costs to fix it!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, phabric said:

On the old app, my March 2025, showed 3 persons.  Installed the new app.  Now both old and new apps show for March 2025 only 2 person.  Last Monday, called Medallion and was told would be corrected in 5-7 days to add the 3rd person.  Still waiting.

Today, after 11 days I had called Ocean Ready about the 3rd person missing from my booking after I had added the new Princess app also missing on the MedallionClass app. I was able to add her information to the app.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phabric said:

Today, after 11 days I had called Ocean Ready about the 3rd person missing from my booking after I had added the new Princess app also missing on the MedallionClass app. I was able to add her information to the app.

About time, right?  

I used the old app for my cruise that ended last week with no problems. I am still using it to prepare for my cruise in April and will not use the new app until forced to. The last time I tried to log on using my booking number for April on the new app it did not even recognize it. My next 7 cruising all show just fine on the old app

18 minutes ago, memoak said:

I used the old app for my cruise that ended last week with no problems. I am still using it to prepare for my cruise in April and will not use the new app until forced to. The last time I tried to log on using my booking number for April on the new app it did not even recognize it. My next 7 cruising all show just fine on the old app

Don’t blame you.  I downloaded both and use both.  The new app is more accurate than the old one for my cruises and loyalty status. I prefer the new app, over the old one, except I miss the toggle to see all my cruises, without having to log in every time with a booking number! 😣 

So, guess I’ll keep both right now.  I hope your old app goes through your next cruise. 

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Don’t blame you.  I downloaded both and use both.  The new app is more accurate than the old one for my cruises and loyalty status. I prefer the new app, over the old one, except I miss the toggle to see all my cruises, without having to log in every time with a booking number! 😣 

So, guess I’ll keep both right now.  I hope your old app goes through your next cruise. 

The new app shows me as a new cruiser somehow even though I have 50 cruises

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

The new app shows me as a new cruiser somehow even though I have 50 cruises

The old one shows me as a blue, it was correct until I downloaded the new one. Then, the new one was correct.  Go figure!

Did you delete the new one for now?

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

The old one shows me as a blue, it was correct until I downloaded the new one. Then, the new one was correct.  Go figure!

Did you delete the new one for now?

Sure did

• Like 1

We haven't been on a Princess cruise since March 2010. We will be on the Enchanted in March. Lots of changes since 2010. We are Ocean Ready. On the old app it says no need to print your boarding pass. Just show the digital version. I prefer to print the boarding pass. Where do I find the boarding pass? I can't find it on the old and new app or the website.

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

We haven't been on a Princess cruise since March 2010. We will be on the Enchanted in March. Lots of changes since 2010. We are Ocean Ready. On the old app it says no need to print your boarding pass. Just show the digital version. I prefer to print the boarding pass. Where do I find the boarding pass? I can't find it on the old and new app or the website.

There is no longer a physical boarding pass. I take a copy of my booking and a copy of my Travel Summary in case of any onboard issues but the boarding pass is a thing of the past.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:14 AM, Tomcruise92 said:

Not sure when you're travelling but we also had this. The issue for us was that for speciality dining, we had to wait until 30 days before embarkation. It then recognised the Premier package.

I'm inside 30 days.  The app doesn't recognize my plus package and is still trying to charge the medallion shipment fee.

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

There is no longer a physical boarding pass. I take a copy of my booking and a copy of my Travel Summary in case of any onboard issues but the boarding pass is a thing of the past.

Thanks. That was my assumption but I wanted to hear it for another cruiser. I've already printed off the Travel Summary. 

42 minutes ago, doghog said:

Thee is no need for any boarding pass. Your medallion is your entry to the ship

20 minutes ago, memoak said:

Thee is no need for any boarding pass. Your medallion is your entry to the ship

Just going by what the old app said which doesn't mention the medallion. 

Edited by doghog

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

Just going by experience.  6 cruises and never have shown a boarding pass

Just going by what the old app says, since the old app doesn't mention the medallion. March will be our 6th Princess cruise. We always had to show a boarding pass for all our past Princess cruises, so that's why the question. BTW, we are both G L according to the old app. What if someone doesn't have the medallion when they first enter the embarkation terminal? 

Edited by doghog

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

Just going by what the old app says, since the old app doesn't mention the medallion. March will be our 6th Princess cruise. We always had to show a boarding pass for all our past Princess cruises, so that's why the question. BTW, we are both G L according to the old app. What if someone doesn't have the medallion when they first enter the embarkation terminal? 

Very common to be Blue Lane - which means you don't already have your Medallion. They want to charge me to ship mine so we will just pick them up in the terminal - along with a multitude of others. No biggie. We always had to pick up our Cruise Cards in the past. I prefer having the Medallions shipped to me in advance but I'm too cheap to pay them $10 for the privilege.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, pistnbroke said:

Canadians can have them shipped now

I ordered them on the old MedallionClass app and can’t change the delivery, no problem picking them up at the dock.  Don’t know how long delivery would be, might not be home as we fly early to the port.  Bank took 21 days to send new credit card by Canada Post within the same city.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, phabric said:

I ordered them on the old MedallionClass app and can’t change the delivery, no problem picking them up at the dock.  Don’t know how long delivery would be, might not be home as we fly early to the port.  Bank took 21 days to send new credit card by Canada Post within the same city.

We have always had our medallions at least 10 days prior to sailing

New app old app a total joke.

Spent 2 hours on the phone with Alibaba and the forty thieves also known  asPrincess customer service reps. All of my shore excursions and dining reservations disappeared so tried getting help. LOL Just a noisy overseas call center. 4 different reps all worse than the one before. This happened on a previous cruise as well. So ridiculous!

• Like 1