US dollars or Mexican pesos?

TwinMamainMN

Which one do you prefer when traveling to the ports of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo? Would it be easier or a better price to pay street vendors, small businesses and tip in pesos? I know many places will have credit card processing available, but for a couple of tacos and a beer from a street vendor it seems paying in pesos would be better.

I think you will find most vendors do accept US Dollars (bills only) but you can generally expect an awful exchange rate vs paying in Pesos.  For cruisers, who are only in a few Mexican ports and do not plan on spending a lot of cash, it is possible to get along with dollars.  

As to being "better" it is usually better to use Pesos :).  We live in PV, for part of the year, and only use Pesos.  If you do plan on using dollars, make sure you carry a supply of ones and fives since some vendors are not going to give you change in dollars.

In PV, most of the taxis will accept US Dollars, but you will generally be able to negotiate a lower price if using Pesos.  

Hank

• Like 1

For Vallarta:

I will echo Hlitner.   I would not go out of your way to obtain pesos before your trip.  Just hit an ATM at your first port.

Bring a supply of ones and fives to use when running low on pesos.  Cash is king, pesos over dollars and anything bought with a credit card will have the vendor fee passed directly on to you.  

Those of us that are in Vallarta often, and for extended periods, use pesos for everything.  Cruise passengers tend to buy what they want and rarely worry about the exchange rate.  USD's work just fine.  Please note, the "$" symbol is used in Mexico just as it is used in the US.  Assume any price you see for goods or services is in pesos unless it specifically has "USD" listed.  Always verify pesos or dollars when setting a price.  

The taxis found inside the port are only authorized to take people away from the property.  They charge in dollars per person.  

Taxis found out in the city (off port property) are not authorized to pickup passenger on the port property but can bring you back to the port or take you to any destination.  In theory, city taxis are regulated by zone with set fares within and between zones.  Most hotels will have a rate board just inside the lobby listing the set rate (in pesos) to most popular destinations. Know that some drivers will try to get more, especially is you are a cruisers with only dollars.

The city bus or just plain walking are always good options too.

Enjoy! . . .

• Like 1

Since MSN and I both got into the transportation (taxi) issue I should mention that there are several different transportation options around PV.  We already mentioned taxis (always agree on the fare before you get in) whether you are paying in Pesos or Dollars.  PV also has Uber and as long as you have phone service you can use it just like at home.  However, in Mexico there is an option (on the app) to pay for Uber with cash (or you can use your normal credit card).  Uber is often less expensive than taxis, but there are exceptions since "surge pricing" also exists in Mexico.

Another option is to use the local buses and the fare, around town including to and from the port area, is 10 Pesos per ride (no transfers).  The new buses have electronic fare boxes (when they word) and the drivers expect you to drop in the proper amount (in Pesos).  In Mexico we have 10 Peso coins which are great to have when using the bus (we also have 5 Peso coins).  But drivers do not need to give you change (some will and some will not) and they also do not need to accept dollars.  When the Peso to dollar exchange rate was 20:1 (or better) drivers would sometimes accept a dollar bill for 2 fares.  But with the current exchange rate I would guess that if they take dollars they will expect $1 per person.  Just keep in mind that you cannot depend on any bus to accept dollars so it is wise to have Pesos in hand.  Speaking of buses, from outside the port to town you want to look for buses that display "Centro" in the window.  Avoid buses that say "Tunel" unless you know our system and know where you are going.

For getting from town back to the port, by bus, you might want to ask nearby folks where to catch the bus out to Walmart/Sams.  Since we have 2 Walmarts, the best way to be sure you are going to the right place is to look for buses that have both Walmart and Sams displayed in the windshield (or side window).  Another sign that will get you to the port area might be ":Liverpool."   You board buses from the front and normally exit from the rear...but it is also OK to exit from the front.  

Hank

• Like 1

One last bit I forgot to mention:  Port taxis charge per person while city taxis and Uber charge per taxi ride with a normal limit of four passengers in the taxi.  Taxi trivia - there is a zone boundary at the river between el Centro (downtown) and the Romantic Zone (aka Old Town/south side).  You can save a buck or two by catching your taxi north of the river.

A good source for local maps is  https://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-old-town-map/

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Two interesting things I observed while taking PV local bus. Sometimes a street performer would get on a bus and play or sing a few tunes for tip. If the bus is very crowded, a rider boarding at the back would give his bus fare to other passengers to pass on to the driver. Also do note local PV buses have no AC.

17 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Two interesting things I observed while taking PV local bus. Sometimes a street performer would get on a bus and play or sing a few tunes for tip. If the bus is very crowded, a rider boarding at the back would give his bus fare to other passengers to pass on to the driver. Also do note local PV buses have no AC.

The entertainers are still around and some are so bad that folks might be tempted to tip to shut them up :).  If they have any talent, many folks will give them a few pesos.

Hank

Use pesos for small street vendor purchases and CC for larger purchases like tourist restaurants.  You can purchase pesos from some banks in the US before you go.  I have bought at Wells Fargo and IBC.  The exchange rate is horrible, but you won't be buying that much and won't have to bother with finding an ATM.  If you do decide to use a MX bank ATM make sure to use a major banks ATM and decline the conversion rate.  Using USD makes the vendor have to convert to pesos and they get ripped off just like us gringos do.  You can get a better deal by using pesos in larger restaurants also.  We were in a touristy Cabo restaurant in June and they posted their exchange rate, which the law allows the merchant to set their own exchange rate.  The restaurant was exchanging at 16.2 pesos to the USD.  The bank rate at the time was about 17.5.  You would be much better off paying in pesos.  That being said, we live in MX and buy stuff every day.  You will only be in MX a short time so it might not be worth the trouble to save a few $$$.       

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, pppiglet said:

Also note in some parts of Mexico ATM's only take a 4 digit pin.  Mine was 6 and didn't work. Jim's was 4 and had no problem. (I found out the hard way)  Lol...

Interesting I have never seen anything other that a four digit pin for the ones we use in Rosarito.  

15 hours ago, pppiglet said:

Also note in some parts of Mexico ATM's only take a 4 digit pin.  Mine was 6 and didn't work. Jim's was 4 and had no problem. (I found out the hard way)  Lol...

We have never seen this in Mexico (live in PV for the past 18 winters) although we have heard of it happening in some European ATMs (it has never happened to us in Europe).  In Mexico we only use bank ATMs (HSBC, Santander, etc) and they all work with 4 digits.

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinto18 said:

Hank how many pesos is the bus ( eg from port to malecon) ? We used to do the 1 dollar for two back when exchange rate was better but I’d rather have pesos ready . 

10 Pesos.  That is the price for all the local area buses including from the port area into town (either Centro or the Zona Romantica.).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Starlight Durban Cruising said:

Just be aware that exchange rates offered at flea markets and street merchants can vary wildly on the same day. We experienced the following rates this last week in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV: 20/US$1, 17.5/US$1, 16/US$1, in random locations.

Thanks! That's helpful and doesn't really surprise me. We're going to bring some pesos for small cash purchases and tipping.

16 hours ago, Starlight Durban Cruising said:

Just be aware that exchange rates offered at flea markets and street merchants can vary wildly on the same day. We experienced the following rates this last week in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV: 20/US$1, 17.5/US$1, 16/US$1, in random locations.

Wow, 20 is unheard of and 17.5 has been about the average for at least the last several months.  I haven't seen 20 for at least a year.  You should invest at that rate.  The current bank rate today is 16.84 so they were losings money at 20 and 17.5, which I doubt.  

• Like 1