Denali road closure - is it still worth going?

hmcrn

Hi all!  We were beginning to plan a June 2025 cruise to Alaska.  We have been once before, but that was 20 years ago.  We would be going with a group who all definitely want to see Denali and the mountain. (along with Glaciers and wildlife).  None of them have been before.

I have just seen that the road in Denali is closed at mile 43, so you can't go out to the viewing area to see McKinley.  I realize that it is often fogged in anyway, but we had managed to get a great view way back when, so were hoping to get lucky again.  Some reports state it may open in 2025, but others feel it won't be until 2026.  

Are there other places to view the mountain from?  The bus trip out would be fine to see wildlife and other vistas if we could also go somewhere else to get views.  

Or should we postpone a year or two if this is important to the group?

Thanks for your advice!  

24 minutes ago, hmcrn said:

Are there other places to view the mountain from?

From Anchorage, from Willow, from Big Lake, from Talkeetna, from the South Denali Viewpoint, from the Veteran's Memorial, from the North Denali Viewpoint... All assuming the Mountain is not covered in clouds.

@AKStafford has provided several locations along the George Parks highway which provide viewpoints of Denali if it is visible.  And if you check the website for Denali National Park the park service is posting that the road will not be opened past Pretty Rocks through the year 2026.  Our local newspaper here in Fairbanks has a reporter stationed full time in the Denali area; the last she reported was about delays in preparing the camp for the construction workers who will be making the repairs.  Open past Pretty Rocks in 2026 may be suspect.

Denali is not the only great national park in Alaska.  Has your party investigated the Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park and Preserve?  

Yes, there is more than one point where you can see Denali but feel lucky if you are so blessed.  I have seen the mountain from Anchorage (very small), Talkeetna at the Princess Lodge, before arriving at the ranger station on the Denali park road, and from way out in the park at Kantishna (today you have to fly in).  The mountain has to be “out” and you have to be in the right place to see it!

Thank you everyone!  This is great. 

@Northern Aurora - yes, we are looking at other parks as well.  So much planning!  But this is one that is on the top of everyone's bucket list.  🙂

My husband and i were blessed to see it long ago, and hopefully will be lucky again!  

We had thought about staying a night at the Princess Lodge in Talkeetna, so that may be an options as well.  Thank you again to all!  

My personal opinion is that if visiting Denali is a really an important part of your trip I would not go until the road is fixed.  Driving just 43 miles into the park is just not worth it.  However aas Northern Aurora points out Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park and Preserve is a really great to go to that you not be able to get to if you try to go to Denali.  St Elias will also be less crowded than Denali.

DON