Transatlantic excess luggage

My husband and I are considering an extended hiking trip through Italy.  We will carry all of our clothes for the hike in backpacks.  We are considering a TA crossing for the return trip to the US.  I would like to have more than hiking boots and leggings for daywear/dinners on the return cruise portion.  I am seeking any input on luggage storage at/or around the Rome airport.  I thought the Amazon locker suggestion was a good idea from a different thread and am open to any suggestions to access additional clothing for the cruise portion.

34 minutes ago, Tradestock said:

My husband and I are considering an extended hiking trip through Italy.  We will carry all of our clothes for the hike in backpacks.  We are considering a TA crossing for the return trip to the US.  I would like to have more than hiking boots and leggings for daywear/dinners on the return cruise portion.  I am seeking any input on luggage storage at/or around the Rome airport.  I thought the Amazon locker suggestion was a good idea from a different thread and am open to any suggestions to access additional clothing for the cruise portion.

Holland America does have “Luggage Forward”.  Where the company picks up your luggage at your home and ships and delivers it directly to your ship for day of sailing.  It is not cheap , but might be worth it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are staying at the same hotel in Rome pre hike and post hike (before boarding your ship) you could ask them to hold your large suitcase while you are hiking.  I did just that in Sydney when I arrived by cruise then went out in Australia for a week on the train, then returned to the same hotel in Sydney.

The hotel happily stored my big case while I was gone!  

~Nancy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

If you are staying at the same hotel in Rome pre hike and post hike (before boarding your ship) you could ask them to hold your large suitcase while you are hiking.  I did just that in Sydney when I arrived by cruise then went out in Australia for a week on the train, then returned to the same hotel in Sydney.

The hotel happily stored my big case while I was gone!  

~Nancy

Did you do the Indian Pacific?  We have booked that for next year and are looking forward to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

Did you do the Indian Pacific?  We have booked that for next year and are looking forward to it.

Yes!  Sydney to Perth.  I flew back from Perth to Sydney.  Hopefully you are in a double cabin with its own bathroom.  I was in a single room which was fine for sleeping but the hall bathroom was tiny!  The one with shower was a good size though.  The room seat was very uncomfortable, so I just sat on the bed the last two days.  Food and service was excellent!  The included excursion to the Barossa Wine Valley was fantastic.

Bottom line is that if they got some upgraded/comfortable seating in the room and lounge car and a dome type car for scenic viewing I would love to go again. 

OP, sorry for the sidetracked comments, but wanted to respond to @sciencewonk.

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

OP, sorry for the sidetracked comments, but wanted to respond to @sciencewonk

No worries.  I am good at sidetracking, too. 

Thank you both for the great suggestions.  I am leaning toward Luggage Forward because it will eliminate the baggage fees on the airline and the storage fees in Italy, during the first portion of the trip.  I was not aware of this service.  There are many moving parts left to consider before plans are finalized, so thank you for the input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tradestock said:

No worries.  I am good at sidetracking, too. 

Thank you both for the great suggestions.  I am leaning toward Luggage Forward because it will eliminate the baggage fees on the airline and the storage fees in Italy, during the first portion of the trip.  I was not aware of this service.  There are many moving parts left to consider before plans are finalized, so thank you for the input.

Luggage forward may or may not be willing to pick up your luggage far enough in advance to allow for your land time.  If they don't can you leave your bags with a friend to hold  until the date they give?  I still think the best solution is to take your bag with you and leave it at a hotel near your embarkation port.

Luggage Forward also becomes a lot more expensive and complicated when you cross an international border.  You might call to discuss it at (607)482-1100.  They are very service oriented.

Roy

16 hours ago, Tradestock said:

There is a storage facility in terminal 3 at Fiumicino airport, about 10 euros per bag per day.

• Like 1

Thank you for the number to Luggage Forward.  The pick up for the bag appears to be 8-10 business days.  I would need to call them to discuss alternative arrangements or enlist the aid of a neighbor. 

Also, thank you for the storage fees at the airport.  The bag fee for the flight, coupled with the extended storage fees, is the least cost effective option.  The option of purchasing clothing in Italy is moving up the list because it negates all of the storage/transport fees.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tradestock said:

..........  The option of purchasing clothing in Italy is moving up the list because it negates all of the storage/transport fees.

I love shopping in thrift stores-second hand stores in Europe,  if you are not familiar with them.  Something to look up online ahead  of time in the cities you will be visiting.  Under various names - but  great way to pick up some travel clothing extras.  

Outdoor markets used to have a lot of knitwear in Italy when there were factories close by - all in a heap and you could find some winners by digging around.  We had some missing luggage once on a land trip to Naples Italy, and the "cheap things" I picked up at the outdoor markets to tie me over, I am still wearing today.

• Like 2

I agree with Oakriger and have used that strategy on several trips.  If you are staying in the same hotel, before and after your trek, simply ask the hotel (ask the concierge) to hold your luggage until you return.  Most decent hotels will not even charge for the service (although we do always give a generous tip to the concierge) and it is usually a very safe option.  There are also luggage storage places (you can look online) in most parts of the world where you pay a fee for storage.

Hank

5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Outdoor markets used to have a lot of knitwear in Italy when there were factories close by - all in a heap and you could find some winners by digging around...

This sounds like great fun.  We enjoy shopping at the local markets.😀

10 hours ago, Tradestock said:

This sounds like great fun.  We enjoy shopping at the local markets.😀

My own trick with thrift shop clothes when traveling is to take a small retractable tape measure with my "strategic' measurements marked off - or even a knotted string would do - waist, hips, shoulders, length  etc to quickly size up an item -since European sizing and cut can be so different. Being able to try things on in thrift shops can be limited. 

I picked up a thrift shop pullover sweater once in New Zealand for a few dollars, since it had become colder than expected when we were out on a full day excursion. I still get compliments on it every time I wear it since it has slightly aboriginal design motifs. That one was a keeper - my special New Zealand souvenir.

Winners can be found, or even just some good travel basics. A friend got a couture suit on a Rue Mouftard thrift shop in Paris for a few dollars once that she wore frequently at home in her role as college foundation director - it was a prefect look .

It fun to shop so painlessly cost wise when out traveling. If you have to leave it behind, if the suitcase gets over-stuffed no loss either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

My own trick with thrift shop clothes when traveling is to take a small retractable tape measure with my "strategic' measurements marked off

Great tip!  It overcomes the "no fitting room" problem.  The small measuring tape takes up no room and weighs next to nothing in the backpack.  It will be added to the emergency sewing repair items I usually carry on the hikes.  

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 9:09 PM, retird said:

Holland America does have “Luggage Forward”.  Where the company picks up your luggage at your home and ships and delivers it directly to your ship for day of sailing.  It is not cheap , but might be worth it

This looks like a great option for us as well.  We are doing a TA from Rome to FLL and plan on spending a week driving through Umbria and Tuscany before boarding the ship in Civitavecchia.  We both are disabled and require the use of mobility scooters.  We can fit both scooters in an SUV with the seats folded down and still have room for a small suitcase.  We can have our larger suitcases sent Luggage Forward without the hassle of trying to handle them.  Thanks!

• Like 1