What are these strange words on the Dining res. confirmation ??

Hambagahle

I made dining reservations for our 21 April cruise last night.  went to check them today and what I think  might be the days of the week are in a language I do not know.  (Might be Portuguese??  But WHY??)

Example - first day on the ship and we are booked for Polo it says "terça-feria abr.22".  This is bizarre !!!

I think you could be right!

I just checked my reservations on the UK site and it shows for example Thursday, January 4th. I’m assuming you get the European site? So possibly language has changed especially if you are in Portugal, or maybe just a glitch? The website always picks up the area you're in.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:21 AM, Hambagahle said:

I made dining reservations for our 21 April cruise last night.  went to check them today and what I think  might be the days of the week are in a language I do not know.  (Might be Portuguese??  But WHY??)

Example - first day on the ship and we are booked for Polo it says "terça-feria abr.22".  This is bizarre !!!

That's Portuguese. Terça-feira is Tuesday April 22. Nothing bizarre at all. 

On 1/4/2024 at 1:58 PM, Vallesan said:

I think you could be right!

I just checked my reservations on the UK site and it shows for example Thursday, January 4th. I’m assuming you get the European site? So possibly language has changed especially if you are in Portugal, or maybe just a glitch? The website always picks up the area you're in.

I am in Switzerland, where I live.  We have a fair number of Portugese here but that is not one of our national languages!!

1 hour ago, TITISSA said:

That's Portuguese. Terça-feira is Tuesday April 22. Nothing bizarre at all. 

Actually it IS bizarre - why put something in Portugese on Dining Reservations which were made in English ??  And to someone who has no connection to Portugal at all.  (I have been there - three times - but not in the last 15 or more years).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Actually it IS bizarre - why put something in Portugese on Dining Reservations which were made in English ??  And to someone who has no connection to Portugal at all.  (I have been there - three times - but not in the last 15 or more years).

FWIW.  Over the course of several years, there have been a number of instances when I've done searches for cruises on O's websites that the dates have appeared in Portuguese vice English.  I've chalked it up to O's renown lack of interest/emphasis on IT upgrades/updates.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, redraider1966 said:

FWIW.  Over the course of several years, there have been a number of instances when I've done searches for cruises on O's websites that the dates have appeared in Portuguese vice English.  I've chalked it up to O's renown lack of interest/emphasis on IT upgrades/updates.

I chalk it up to O's webserver reacting to seeing you using a "Portuguese" IP address.

(and O's lack of interest in giving us a way to override that language assumption 😉 )

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

I chalk it up to O's webserver reacting to seeing you using a "Portuguese" IP address.

(and O's lack of interest in giving us a way to override that language assumption 😉 )

How on earth could I have a Portuguese IP address??   I live in Switzerland...which is a long way from Portugal.

As for dates - there are no country specific dates here.  All European countries use the same date format:  DD:MM:YYYY

Edited by Hambagahle

> How on earth could I have a Portuguese IP address??

> I live in Switzerland...which is a long way from Portugal.

I assume you mean you were in Switzerland at that moment?  Strange.  Let me rephrase: Your IP at that moment was from a range of IP addresses commonly thought to be temporarily assigned by DHCP servers based in Portugal.

> All European countries use the same date format:  DD:MM:YYYY

But not when being posh and using month names (well, abbreviations) instead of numbers.  😉 

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

which is a long way from Portugal.

Off topic, but --to me, anyway-- humorous:

"In Europe, 100 miles is 'a long distance'.  In America 100 years is 'a long time'."

• Haha 2

Snaefell - I am Swiss.  I live in Switzerland. Aside from a couple of trips to France (for lunch and then home) I have not left Switzerland since 2020.    My computer has never been to Portugal.  In fact it has never been outside Switzerland (it will when we go on our cruise but that is months away).  And I have never once seen any Portuguese words on Oceania's site.  so why, suddenly, are my dining reservations using Portuguese dates??  When I booked them a few days ago they were all in English.  I find this odd. 

16 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Snaefell - I am Swiss.  I live in Switzerland. Aside from a couple of trips to France (for lunch and then home) I have not left Switzerland since 2020.    My computer has never been to Portugal.  In fact it has never been outside Switzerland (it will when we go on our cruise but that is months away).  And I have never once seen any Portuguese words on Oceania's site.  so why, suddenly, are my dining reservations using Portuguese dates??  When I booked them a few days ago they were all in English.  I find this odd. 

Most computers have "dynamic" IP addresses with "leases" that can last as little as an hour or so.  Stupid-smart webserver software will try to do you a favour by guessing your language based upon where it thinks the IP address you have was assigned from.  (People even pay VPN vendors to provide them "foreign" IP addresses).

So...  Your reservations showed Portuguese --most likely-- simply because your IP address at that moment looked like one from Portugal.  A "few days ago", your IP looked like from elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

so why, suddenly, are my dining reservations using Portuguese dates?? 

And why are you so seemingly bothered by this?

• Like 1

1.  I have never encountered a problem like this before.

2.  I do not read Portuguese.  I had to look up on Google translate to find out what language it was (!) and to then translate it.

3.  it is bizarre in the extreme to be on Oceania cruises US site and have Portugese thrown at you!

I rather like my "sheltered life".  And I have been using computers since the late 1970s.  Internet probably since late 1980s.  It was very very new then.

The language on the Oceania site re. dinner reservations is now back into English.  so it must have been a blip.  Someone pushed the wrong button...

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I rather like my "sheltered life".  And I have been using computers since the late 1970s.  Internet probably since late 1980s.  It was very very new then.

The language on the Oceania site re. dinner reservations is now back into English.  so it must have been a blip.  Someone pushed the wrong button...

Glad to see that war over 🙂

• Like 1