Navigator App Security Photo Gone?

For the last few years I’ve been accustomed to uploading a security photo to the HAL navigator app prior to arriving for embarkation.

The button seems to be gone now.

Did I miss that this was discontinued? (Not unhappy, just want a smooth check-in.)

• Thanks 1

Appears to be gone.  We had the option and did upload it for our Alaska cruise in May.  For our Nov cruise it wasn't an option and I simply assumed that as we had recently uploaded a pic that none was required.  Wrong.  We had to have our pics taken during embarkation.

Now I did uninstall the app after our cruise in May and reinstalled it just prior to our Nov cruise so I don't know if that would have had some sort of impact on the app and its features?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Not us ever.

33 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It was never required. We have done 4 cruises with the Navigator app...never uploaded a picture.

Thank you for your replies about having never uploaded your photos in the past.

I have uploaded it in the past 7 cruises and have been able to sail through past the photo part of the check-in thanks to their facial recognition technology.

It sounds like this (optional but helpful) step is gone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I wonder why they would get rid of a tech upgrade that saves time?

Both Cunard and Celebrity have you load your own photo.

On our New England Cruise, we waited for over 90 minutes for Guest Services behind passenger after passenger incapable of using the Navigator App. Wild guess… people didn’t follow instructions for uploading the photos that complied with security needs and it’s more streamlined to just take them?

My guess would be next gen technology rollout.  Having matched your passport/photo ID with facial recognition, the ship can continue to use that technology for embarkation/disembarkation during the voyage.  Uploading your own pic would make that step redundant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMattT said:

Thank you for your replies about having never uploaded your photos in the past.

I have uploaded it in the past 7 cruises and have been able to sail through past the photo part of the check-in thanks to their facial recognition technology.

It sounds like this (optional but helpful) step is gone.

We would always upload the picture, but they never seemed to use them.   Now there is no longer a requirement or option but the speed of check-in seems the same before photo and after photo.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We would always upload the picture, but they never seemed to use them.   Now there is no longer a requirement or option but the speed of check-in seems the same before photo and after photo.

Ours seemed to get used. It would be what flashed up when we scanned in and out of the ship at ports. A friends photo was SO terrible (he hurriedly took it that morning at the crack of dawn) that we giggled each time (and the crew with us).

53 minutes ago, BigMattT said:

Ours seemed to get used. It would be what flashed up when we scanned in and out of the ship at ports. A friends photo was SO terrible (he hurriedly took it that morning at the crack of dawn) that we giggled each time (and the crew with us).

Sometimes it seemed to pull up old photos for us  - from 5 years ago....hard to say!

• Haha 1