Qs about mobility assistance at San Diego port

I can walk but only for short distances at a time, and it is difficult for me to stand for very long.  I use wheelchair assistance at airports and it works pretty well for me.

Is there something comparable at the port of San Diego?  If so do you request it from the port or from HAL?  How do you access it?  Is there a place you go?

I guess what i'm looking for is a bit of a primer on how it all works, if it is available.  Thanks to anyone who's "been there, done that" and can provide any guidance.

Posted (edited)

Request wheelchair assistance for disembarkation directly from the airline you are traveling on. The wheelchair attendants will bring you from the gangway to the luggage carousel where you will find the HAL sign holders. Between the attendant and HAL, they will coordinate getting you to the transportation bus. 

Edited by boze9999

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

Request wheelchair assistance for disembarkation directly from the airline you are traveling on. The wheelchair attendants will bring you from the gangway to the luggage carousel where you will find the HAL sign holders. Between the attendant and HAL, they will coordinate getting you to the transportation bus. 

I think the OP was asking about service at the port, not the airport. We don't even know if he is flying in.

I can't answer his question, because I haven't done this before. But I am looking for answers myself. My wife recently became handicapped, and we are going on our first cruise since she needed she needed a wheelchair. We will also will be going out of San Diego, but we will be driving our own car there,

56 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

I think the OP was asking about service at the port, not the airport. We don't even know if he is flying in.

I can't answer his question, because I haven't done this before. But I am looking for answers myself. My wife recently became handicapped, and we are going on our first cruise since she needed she needed a wheelchair. We will also will be going out of San Diego, but we will be driving our own car there,

Posted (edited)

When you enter the terminal, look to your left or ask for direction to the ADA seating area.  A staff member will take your name and add you to a waiting list (if necessary).

Please be aware that on a typical 7 night voyage, somewhere between 40 and 50 guests require assistance. On the longer or Grand Voyages there are likely to be nearly 100 wheelchair requests.

That being said, a shore side helper can only take you through the check-in procedure.  You will be assigned a Group Number and then wait in a separate seating area closer to the gangway elevators.

A crew member from the ship will arrive to take you onward once your group number has been called or in the case of Open Boarding as prioritized in that zone.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom O. said:

Yes, this is correct.  I know the airport procedures because I've been using wheelchair assistance for a while now.

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

When you enter the terminal, look to your left or ask for direction to the ADA seating area.  A staff member will take your name and add you to a waiting list (if necessary).

Please be aware that on a typical 7 night voyage, somewhere between 40 and 50 guests require assistance. On the longer or Grand Voyages there are likely to be nearly 100 wheelchair requests.

That being said, a shore side helper can only take you through the check-in procedure.  You will be assigned a Group Number and then wait in a separate seating area closer to the gangway elevators.

A crew member from the ship will arrive to take you onward once your group number has been called or in the case of Open Boarding as prioritized in that zone.

David

Do I need to do any kind of pre-arranging with HAL or the port?  When I use wheelchair assist at the airport I always request wheelchair assistance as part of the process of buying the ticket

25 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Do I need to do any kind of pre-arranging with HAL or the port?  When I use wheelchair assist at the airport I always request wheelchair assistance as part of the process of buying the ticket

You would request in advance from HAL.

When you get to the port it seems a problem would be actually getting to and inside the terminal, then over to the waiting area. From there, your name would be taken, and you would be added to the list of people needing assistance to check-in. 
People who need assistance are first come, first served. There is no such thing as 'priority'. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

In years past it would help....but not currently at our port in San Diego. Yes, we do receive advance notice of your request.  What we do not know is when you will be arriving at the port. 

Everything is on a first come - first served basis.  That applies to:

Parking lot to Lobby

Lobby to Check-in

Check-in to ship

Many arrive with their own ....wheelchairs, walkers, and scooters....preferred not only the pier workers but also staff onboard for your voyage.

Airlines do not charge for mobility devices.....nor do rideshares, taxis, or bus transfers.

If you need it....why not bring it?

Any one of us can help push, but we have a very limited supply of wheelchairs and those few are typically in use all day.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Complete and submit a Special Requirement Info form  https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

See also https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/about/our-company/accessibility

I requested a wheelchair at port side for my mother, but she will have her rollator if there is no wheelchair when our car drops us off. Always have a Plan B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hobar said:

Complete and submit a Special Requirement Info form  https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

I requested a wheelchair at port side for my mother, but she will have her rollator if there is no wheelchair when our car drops us off. Always have a Plan B.

Thank you, I just submitted that.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 9:47 PM, Hobar said:

Can I ask a follow-up question?  Will they email me an acknowledgement of my request submission or instructions on how to access the assistance?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Can I ask a follow-up question?  Will they email me an acknowledgement of my request submission or instructions on how to access the assistance?

Nothing other than this.  (I just went to it to check, which is why it has today’s date, and it says “already saved.”).

I also called the accessibility desk and was told to wave down a wheelchair porter, so I won’t have a dedicated one waiting, but was told there will be plenty.

And I also submitted an email to the accessibility desk to request that furniture be removed in advance of our embarkation and I received an email response a few days later notifying me that it would be taken care of.  So if you have concerns about acknowledgment, email halw_access@hollandamerica.com

image.png

Edited by Hobar
Added more info.
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 11:19 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Usually I get an email back 1-2 business days later. Please note they will assist only for the initial embarkation and final disembarkation. Wheelchairs are not provided for use onboard or at various ports of call (though there is usually someone at the gangway who will help push you the length of the gangway if you are in a wheelchair). You are totally on your own as soon as you get to the end of the gangway or back on the ship. If you need to rent a wheelchair for use onboard, the two main companies are Special Needs at Sea (HAL preferred vendor) and Scootaround. I strongly recommend Special Needs at Sea - if you have an issue with the chair, HAL can work with them to offer a replacement. If you use another vendor all they can do is rent you one if available. 

In my experience, for embarkation they will unceremoniously dump you in the lobby, though sometimes they will take you to your cabin or a lounge but it varies from ship to ship. For disembarkation there is usually a lounge near the gangway they will have you go to and then pushers will come with wheelchairs periodically to take you off the ship and back to the port. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zgscl said:

Usually I get an email back 1-2 business days later. Please note they will assist only for the initial embarkation and final disembarkation. Wheelchairs are not provided for use onboard or at various ports of call (though there is usually someone at the gangway who will help push you the length of the gangway if you are in a wheelchair). You are totally on your own as soon as you get to the end of the gangway or back on the ship. If you need to rent a wheelchair for use onboard, the two main companies are Special Needs at Sea (HAL preferred vendor) and Scootaround. I strongly recommend Special Needs at Sea - if you have an issue with the chair, HAL can work with them to offer a replacement. If you use another vendor all they can do is rent you one if available. 

In my experience, for embarkation they will unceremoniously dump you in the lobby, though sometimes they will take you to your cabin or a lounge but it varies from ship to ship. For disembarkation there is usually a lounge near the gangway they will have you go to and then pushers will come with wheelchairs periodically to take you off the ship and back to the port. 

Great information.  In my particular case all I need is help at the port and embarking  because I can't walk far and I can't stand for a long time.  I expect to bevable to get around the ship on my own with judicious planning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zgscl said:

In my experience, for embarkation they will unceremoniously dump you in the lobby, though sometimes they will take you to your cabin or a lounge but it varies from ship to ship.

The four times I have needed wheelchair embarkation (hopefully no more with my new knee!! 😁) the HAL pushers have always taken me all the way to my cabin even when I told them I was able to walk the rest of the way.  They were wonderful and I would have really struggled if they weren't available!

~Nancy

• Like 2

As the one who started this thread I think it behooved me to report how it went as I sit here in the Oceanview Bar.  The executive summary is, like butter.

I took a cab from my hotel.  They kind of shunted us off to the side so I was never where the luggage drop off was,  but that was ok because all I had was a carryon.  I got out, and saw a port employee.  I asked him where the wheel chair assistance was and he directed me to a podium under a red/pink umbrella, about 30 feet away.  I went there and a very nice lady helped me.  At first she wanted me to wait outside, but when I explained that I couldn't stand for long she checked in the terminal and they let me in and I was able to sit.  After about 15 minutes a port employee came with a wheelchair and got me loaded up.  He took me through the check-in and then left me in an area with seating with other wheelchair folks.  They hadn't started boarding yet, but I could see a brigade of HAL employees lining up with wheelchairs.  As soon as they started boarding they came and loaded us up.  Less than 10 minutes later I was on the ship.  The rooms weren't ready yet so they dropped me off at an elevator and said to wait at the Lido buffet.  It was too early for lunch so I just hung around there until the rooms were ready.  It couldn't have been easier.  All my fears were unfounded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

@Toofarfromthesea Thank you for the detail of your experience.  My mom will have her rollator so hoping it is as easy as you had it when we embark at San Diego in March.  Enjoy your cruise.

It was my pleasure.  And thank you for all of the encouraging information you gave me upthread.  I hope things go as well for you and your mom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1