MSC coming to Galveston??

SPacificbound

Just the Seascape moving to Galveston, or will they add a 2nd ship there as well?

I can't imagine there's enough variety of itineraries that are possible to accommodate 2 ships.

1 hour ago, peder said:

Just the Seascape moving to Galveston, or will they add a 2nd ship there as well?

I can't imagine there's enough variety of itineraries that are possible to accommodate 2 ships.

I just mentioned the same thing. 

I’m going to say this with a disclaimer - I live just under 2 hours away from Galveston and I’m thankful for the many options we now have, compared to just 10 years ago when Carnival was the only option for year-round cruising and Royal Caribbean was only a seasonal option; however, does anyone else think that having 3 mega ships offering the same, tired year-round itinerary is a bit much? 

MSC seems very confident, going all in on Galveston with one of their newest, largest ships. This will be very interesting to see how this over saturated market affects prices in the next couple years and how each line plans on competing with the next. 

• Like 1

Sooo...

Test booking a one-week room for two has a YC deluxe suite going for $3,256.44 (Voyagers Club discount). That's a bargain, even taking into account the ho-hum itinerary.

Driving to Galveston is much shorter than Miami. It's even slightly shorter than Port Canaveral. However, I don't think MSC Galveston is for us until the itineraries expand. 

• Like 3

Looking forward to trying MSC. Been wanting to try them for a few years now but my wife won't fly unless it's absolutely necessary. If the cruise I have booked for December of '25 wasn't a 10 day Panama cruise I'd cancel in a heartbeat and book MSC. Hoping maybe I can book a spring '26 cruise. The itinerary doesn't worry me as Seascape looks nice enough that I probably won't want to get off the ship. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rudyard said:

Looking forward to trying MSC. Been wanting to try them for a few years now but my wife won't fly unless it's absolutely necessary. If the cruise I have booked for December of '25 wasn't a 10 day Panama cruise I'd cancel in a heartbeat and book MSC. Hoping maybe I can book a spring '26 cruise. The itinerary doesn't worry me as Seascape looks nice enough that I probably won't want to get off the ship. 

I understand about not getting off the ship.  Last MSC YC cruise San Juan was the port that we stayed on the ship and had a great time.   Really had the run of the ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KittyCruz said:

I just received the email from MSC about this today.  As a Texan this makes me happy because I can quite possibly talk my husband into more cruises, since we won't need to book additional flights or hotels to/in Miami.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/Search Result?embkPort=GLS

I also realized that with this Port I could aspire to @morpheusofthesea dear wife and bring along 12-14 pieces of luggage... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rudyard said:

We were on Seascape this past november/december and its a beauty!  I'm hoping they also have some short 3-4 day cruises added since those make for a nice need to get away trip

• Like 1

We just booked our first MSC cruise. We are excited to try the YC and see how it compares with the Retreat on Celebrity besides being a lower cost option. We were able to status match to Gold which is nice.

We are experiencing the infamous MSC IT issue with my wife account. It will not link the cruise or VC membership number. CS says they are working on fixing it.

53 minutes ago, SunriseCoffee said:

We just booked our first MSC cruise. We are excited to try the YC and see how it compares with the Retreat on Celebrity besides being a lower cost option. We were able to status match to Gold which is nice.

We are experiencing the infamous MSC IT issue with my wife account. It will not link the cruise or VC membership number. CS says they are working on fixing it.

They will get it done and you will have a great experience in YC.   I can’t wait to get back on MSC.  Loved the lounge and restaurant.  Butlers are very good and some even better.  Stay warm in Dallas.  Northeast Texas is frigid for the next couple of days.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SunriseCoffee said:

We have been cruising mostly suites on celebrity for last 6 years, also a few suites on rccl oasis class . Definitely yacht club is thousands cheaper and a better product. Love the live music in yacht club lounge every night , neither celebrity or rccl offers live music in suite lounge . Outdoor area is way less crowded than Edge retreat area . I also get ten percent off fare since I am a veteran. 

• Like 1

We are excited about MSC in Galveston. It saves the cost and inconvenience of flying to Florida. It seems like MSC will be in the new terminal 16 which is planned to be ready in 2025.  

We have an 11-day Celebrity cruise booked in a veranda cabin that is about the same cost with the drink package & 1 wifi device. The retreat was 2x the veranda. That cruise is more about the ports than the ship for us. On the MSC cruise out of Galveston, we will likely not get off at the ports.  

@Hobby3333 We will try to stay warm. Thanks

• Like 1

For those not super familiar with Galveston 

When planning your cruise look to see what is happening on the island, because it can effect ones ability to get a room the night before.  example the first weekend in December is Dickens on the Strand and most decent hotels/VRBO type offerings start getting booked in July.

For those flying the best airport to fly into is Houston Hobby

Food - there are lots of awesome places to eat in Galveston: Star Drug (does a great breakfast, but is a local fave and gets busy so plan on getting there early)  besides that our faves are Black Pearl, Katie's Seafood, Mosquito Cafe, Gaido's and Cajun Greek 

Drinks - Daquiri Time Out will get you ready for vacation and that drink package

Besides the seawall there is lots to see/do in Galveston 

https://www.visitgalveston.com/plan-your-trip/maps-neighborhoods/seawall-district/

Moody Gardens https://www.moodygardens.com/ 

Bishop's Palace https://www.galvestonhistory.org/sites/1892-bishops-palace

Railroad Museum https://galvestonrrmuseum.org/

Ocean Star Museum https://www.energyeducation.org/

Galveston Naval Museum https://www.galvestonnavalmuseum.com/

Bolivar Ferry https://www.galveston.com/trip-planning/transport/galvestonferry/

• Like 2