Cabin Pricing Changes Fast

Merc85

As soon as the fall 2025 New England cruises came out we booked a Retreat cabin for the sail date we wanted.  It looks to be a very nice trip.

Just out of curiosity I rechecked the pricing on the same cabin type two weeks later and it had gone up 28%!!!  Wow, sure am glad we booked it upon release.

• Like 1

Our fall 2024 New England sailing was sold out inmost categories.  Recently a few  cabins are now open ( 1 unobstructed veranda, 1 Concierge, 1 AQ)  There is a very short window for seeing the fall foliage, colors can be breathtaking so prices climb quickly

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Merc85 said:

As soon as the fall 2025 New England cruises came out we booked a Retreat cabin for the sail date we wanted.  It looks to be a very nice trip.

Just out of curiosity I rechecked the pricing on the same cabin type two weeks later and it had gone up 28%!!!  Wow, sure am glad we booked it upon release.

Don't count your chickens just yet.  Here's another story...

We booked a Sky Suite in the summer of 2023 just before the rumors about all the Celebrity cutbacks broke.  We, too, watched the prices increase.  Then, 35 days before sailing, Celebrity cut the prices on our voyage dramatically.  We suppose they needed to fill the ship.  Our Suite booking was slashed to 50% of what we paid.  We called Celebrity to request a fee adjustment or some kind of credit.  We did not really expect much but thought it couldn’t hurt to ask.  Celebrity politely refused to give us any refund citing that we were beyond the final payment date.  That’s their policy.  They did upgrade us to an ‘upper’ Suite but tried to strip our original OBC and prepaid gratuities.  I complained until they relented and transferred them to the new booking.  Even after the upgrade and transfer, we were still several hundred dollars in the hole.  Celebrity would not issue OBC or FCC for that difference.  I can’t imagine how the Move-Up bidders would feel after outlaying even more $ in the Move-Up process only to see the price drops.

Edited by Winemaker_1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Don't count your chickens just yet.  Here's another story...We booked a Sky Suite in the summer of 2023 just before the rumors about all the Celebrity cutbacks broke.  We, too, watched the prices increase.  Then, 35 days before sailing, Celebrity cut the prices on our voyage dramatically.  We suppose they needed to fill the ship.  Our Suite booking was slashed to 50% of what we paid.  We called Celebrity to request a fee adjustment or some kind of credit.  We did not really expect much but thought it couldn’t hurt to ask.  Celebrity politely refused to give us any refund citing that we were beyond the final payment date.  That’s their policy.  They did upgrade us to an ‘upper’ Suite but tried to strip our original OBC and prepaid gratuities.  I complained until they relented and transferred them to the new booking.  Even after the upgrade and transfer, we were still several hundred dollars in the hole.  Celebrity would not issue OBC or FCC for that difference.  I can’t imagine how the Move-Up bidders would feel after outlaying even more $ in the Move-Up process only to see the price drops.

Most cruises work this way after final payment, many will only offer a 25% OBC in the difference in price drop, if they offer anything. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

5 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Don't count your chickens just yet.  Here's another story...

We booked a Sky Suite in the summer of 2023 just before the rumors about all the Celebrity cutbacks broke.  We, too, watched the prices increase.  Then, 35 days before sailing, Celebrity cut the prices on our voyage dramatically.  We suppose they needed to fill the ship.  Our Suite booking was slashed to 50% of what we paid.  We called Celebrity to request a fee adjustment or some kind of credit.  We did not really expect much but thought it couldn’t hurt to ask.  Celebrity politely refused to give us any refund citing that we were beyond the final payment date.  That’s their policy.  They did upgrade us to an ‘upper’ Suite but tried to strip our original OBC and prepaid gratuities.  I complained until they relented and transferred them to the new booking.  Even after the upgrade and transfer, we were still several hundred dollars in the hole.  Celebrity would not issue OBC or FCC for that difference.  I can’t imagine how the Move-Up bidders would feel after outlaying even more $ in the Move-Up process only to see the price drops.

Move Up bids often are not awarded until a week of so before sailing and can be cancelled or modified up until the bid is accepted.  
Before making a Move Up bid it is a good idea to check the price the desired cabin is selling for.  There have been times just outright upgrading is a better deal.  I have also see the bid range lowered on Move Up offers.  

21 hours ago, Merc85 said:

Yep. 

A friend emailed me about a great price on Ascent Retreat Jan 2025.

3 hours later when I checked email it had doubled.

Bummer

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Yep. 

A friend emailed me about a great price on Ascent Retreat Jan 2025.

3 hours later when I checked email it had doubled.

Bummer

Happened to me on probably the same sailing.   Xcel had cheap prices for like a day for a Jan 2026 sailing.  I couldn't my credit card out faster, and booked at the insane cheap price. 👍

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

Happened to me on probably the same sailing.   Xcel had cheap prices for like a day for a Jan 2026 sailing.  I couldn't my credit card out faster, and booked at the insane cheap price. 👍

WAIT--THAT WAS IT.

6 minutes ago, KKB said:

WAIT--THAT WAS IT.

A similar thing happened for an Ascent Jan. 2024 sailing, I had the opportunity on that one, but already had/have a 10 day'r in March and not enough vacation time, while I was trying to convince myself the pricing went away, still kinda upset, I could have made it work.  

2 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

us too.  It was an insane price 

• Like 1