crew appreciation increasing Feb 01,2024

helby

On 1/15/2024 at 11:54 PM, jlawrence01 said:

This was a major discussion on a major YouTube podcast this week where Tony from the  La Lido Loca podcast interviewed a former cruise employee.  The relevant discussions of staffing come at the 1:02:00 mark.  It is an interesting discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziVFOZSJMxc&list=WL&index=23

Thanks for the link.  This supports my earlier comment of the secrecy that surrounds crew tips.  In this clip a former cruise crew member who is now a blogger can't say that crew members are defiantly getting the tips paid by passengers, but does promote how he continues to over tip.

55 minutes ago, Tigerlily75 said:

It looks like HAL has now updated their website: 

Crew Appreciation is a daily (adjustable) amount added to your onboard account and pooled in order to recognize the many team members throughout our fleet who contribute to the guest experience.

For all sailings departing prior to February 14, 2024 as well as the 2024 Grand World Voyage and the 2024 Grand Australia & New Zealand Voyage, the daily Crew Appreciation is $16.00* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $17.50* per guest per day for suite guests.

For sailings departing on or after February 14, 2024, the daily Crew Appreciation is $17.00* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $19.00* per guest per day for suite guests.

The Crew Appreciation charge is paid to Holland America Line team members and represents an important part of their compensation. An 18% service charge is automatically applied to all beverage purchases, bar retail items, specialty restaurant cover charges, all for-purchase a la carte menu items, and all Spa & Salon services. Local sales taxes are applied where required.

*The charges are subject to change without notice.

I have prepaid my gratuities for my cruise post Feb 14,  My account shows my Crew Appreciation as fully paid and no increase.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:00 PM, Shmoo here said:

Boy, I'm glad we reserved our HIA cruise with the gratuities included.

We have HIA booked with Gratuities included also.   So, we don't pay any increases since we booked the cruise?  We are new to HAL.   Thanks

57 minutes ago, CVU said:

We have HIA booked with Gratuities included also.   So, we don't pay any increases since we booked the cruise?  We are new to HAL.   Thanks

Our last cruise (Westerdam 2023) we had pre-paid gratuities and there was a tip price increase after we had our booking and we were fine.....gratuities were included...no matter the price increase. 

And welcome aboard Holland America Line 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

For all sailings departing prior to February 14, 2024 as well as the 2024 Grand World Voyage and the 2024 Grand Australia & New Zealand Voyage, the daily Crew Appreciation is $16.00* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $17.50* per guest per day for suite guests.

For sailings departing on or after February 14, 2024, the daily Crew Appreciation is $17.00* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $19.00* per guest per day for suite guests.

Thanks for this.  It's under FAQs if anyone is searching.

Interesting that for non-suite staterooms that's about a 6% increase and suite staterooms it's about a 9% increase.  Having sailed in both categories I have to admit I don't understand why suite passengers pay more.  It isn't as if they receive a different level of service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Our last cruise (Westerdam 2023) we had pre-paid gratuities and there was a tip price increase after we had our booking and we were fine.....gratuities were included...no matter the price increase. 

And welcome aboard Holland America Line 

We are fine with the increase but wondered if it was a locked price when you book.  Premium Drinks are in our HIA too, so I doubt they add the increase to those?   Thanks

1 hour ago, CVU said:

We are fine with the increase but wondered if it was a locked price when you book.  Premium Drinks are in our HIA too, so I doubt they add the increase to those?   Thanks

It depends on what promo you booked under.

You use the words "Premium" and "too" when referring to your beverage package so I assume (always a mistake) you booked under a HIA Early Booking Bonus promo that included the 'crew appreciation', upgraded beverage package - Signature to Elite (18% service charge included) - and upgraded wi-fi - Surf to Premium. If that's the case, your 'crew appreciation' is paid no matter how much the per diem rate changes.

The 18% service charge on drinks has not changed (yet). It is different and separate from the 'crew appreciation'.

2 hours ago, Bill B said:

It depends on what promo you booked under.

You use the words "Premium" and "too" when referring to your beverage package so I assume (always a mistake) you booked under a HIA Early Booking Bonus promo that included the 'crew appreciation', upgraded beverage package - Signature to Elite (18% service charge included) - and upgraded wi-fi - Surf to Premium. If that's the case, your 'crew appreciation' is paid no matter how much the per diem rate changes.

The 18% service charge on drinks has not changed (yet). It is different and separate from the 'crew appreciation'.

The Premium drink package was in a generous HIA early booking bonus for 17 nt and is also with the Crew Gratuities along with other nice perks, hence I used the "too", meaning also. 

Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, CVU said:

The Premium drink package was in a generous HIA early booking bonus for 17 nt and is also with the Crew Gratuities along with other nice perks...

In that case all your 'gratuities' - drinks and grew appreciation - are included and you won't be billed anything for any 'gratuity' unless you order a drink priced at more than $15. If you do, you will pay the difference between $15 and the price of the drink, plus 18%. 

What remains to be seen is if those who pre-pay their crew appreciation (i.e. it is not included in the booking), at the current rate and sail after February 1, will be billed the increased amount. It seems in the past people who did so were 'locked in'. However, the wording is such that, even if crew appreciation is pre-paid, they could (I doubt it) be billed the increased amount when onboard. Stay tuned and check back on February 2. 😏

11 hours ago, Bill B said:

even if crew appreciation is pre-paid, they could (I doubt it) be billed the increased amount when onboard.

Based on the way our pre-paid grats have been credited (one lump sum on day 1) and billed (daily charge) on previous cruises, I will be betting the other way, and saying that unless gratuities are included as part of a promo, then you will be paying the increased price.

• Like 1

Will the prices of "Early Booking Bonus Have It All" and drinks packages also be going up on February 1 to take into account the more expensive crew appreciation?  Or have they already gone up for all cruises sailing after February 1 ? 

If a cruise sailing after February 1 is booked now, will the cost of the Early Booking Bonus Have It All and drinks packages reflect the current cost or the new rate?  If the same cruise is booked after February 1 or a drinks package is added to an existing booking after February 1, will the new crew appreciation rate be charged as part of those packages?

23 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

If the same cruise is booked after February 1 or a drinks package is added to an existing booking after February 1, will the new crew appreciation rate be charged as part of those packages?

The service charge added to drinks/packages, specialty dinners, etc is currently staying at 18%. The other questions, I don't think anyone on CC knows!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Will the prices of "Early Booking Bonus Have It All" and drinks packages also be going up on February 1 to take into account the more expensive crew appreciation?  Or have they already gone up for all cruises sailing after February 1 ? 

If a cruise sailing after February 1 is booked now, will the cost of the Early Booking Bonus Have It All and drinks packages reflect the current cost or the new rate?  If the same cruise is booked after February 1 or a drinks package is added to an existing booking after February 1, will the new crew appreciation rate be charged as part of those packages?

Not really sure where you’re going with this but 1) the increase takes effect February 14 2) the Early booking bonus HIA that includes crew appreciation is all part of your cruise fare-you had to have booked it when you booked your cruise so the price won’t change 3) the have it all package that doesn’t include the crew appreciation recently increased $5/day to $55/day 4) crew appreciation is separate charge from any drink or drink package gratuity. That remains at 18%. I think you’re confusing the two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1