crew appreciation increasing Feb 01,2024

helby

25 minutes ago, kazu said:

I thought the same thing she said that pre-paying would lock it in until I saw some contradictory posts.

Curious to see what she replies.

It’s strange that your PCC is calling them rumours and a couple of people have received notification from their TA’s while the rest of us have not.

It’s very strange. Last year the gratuity increase was announced in December, effective 2/1. So on the one hand it’s weird that other than the TA email there’s no mention of it anywhere. On the other hand, I don’t think they made any announcement for drink price increase or the price increases for retreat cabanas or HMC cabanas. So I don’t know!

33 minutes ago, Cuttersmom said:

It’s very strange. Last year the gratuity increase was announced in December, effective 2/1. So on the one hand it’s weird that other than the TA email there’s no mention of it anywhere. On the other hand, I don’t think they made any announcement for drink price increase or the price increases for retreat cabanas or HMC cabanas. So I don’t know!

Good point.  Last year’s announcement gave plenty of notice.  It does seem a bit strange.  Maybe it’s all coming at once - higher drink limit price with HIA, higher price with HIA and new crew appreciation 😉  I didn’t think they usually announced the increase in cabana prices - thought it just happened?

My TA confirmed the gratuity price was increasing on February 1, 2024.

Whar she cannot get HAL to clarify, is whether February 1st is a “book by” or “sale by” deadline. 

If it’s a ‘book by’ day, we’re all set. If it’s a ‘sail by’ date, those with cruise is booked may want to pay early.

No one seems to have a clear answer at Holland America so she has escalated to a supervisor.

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

I emailed my TA (big internet TA) 1/6 after reading on here about the tip increase....

(I wanted to find out if I bought tips pre-increase, would that be "grandfathered")

She got back to me on 1/9 saying she was having difficulty getting an answer on and was still checking.

I wonder what is up?  Is this an internet rumor or for real? Or a corporate secret that got out early?

LOL.

I will get flamed for this, but why would you expect an employee of the cruise line to confirm anything the cruise line does not want you to know...at this time.  I do understand that many HAL cruisers think they have a special relationship with their PCC, but as we constantly point out, those PCCs are simply reservation clerks/salespeople for the cruise line.  Their loyalty is to their employer.  My post is not just intended as a shot to HAL (or their PCCs) but just simple reality that applies to all cruise lines.  

Hank

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I will get flamed for this, but why would you expect an employee of the cruise line to confirm anything the cruise line does not want you to know...at this time.  I do understand that many HAL cruisers think they have a special relationship with their PCC, but as we constantly point out, those PCCs are simply reservation clerks/salespeople for the cruise line.  Their loyalty is to their employer.  My post is not just intended as a shot to HAL (or their PCCs) but just simple reality that applies to all cruise lines.  

Hank

The person you quoted emailed their TA - not a PCC - completely independent from HAL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gratuities, Crew Appreciation whatever you want to call it, are part of the package unfortunately. The whole thing has gotten out of hand especially in North America. We get "gratuity" prompt on debit machines all the time, more and more for things where a "tip" is not normally expected. I think that the whole "Crew appreciation" should just be included in the price. We are all shooting ourselves in the foot every time we tip more for drinks or your steward or any other crew member. We already paid the gratuity. This may come back to bight the crew in ways not intended. I think those extra cash gratuities will start to get smaller. As it is the new rate makes for another $86.00 for the cruise and more if they raise the rate before we sail in 2025. It's really incidental on a $30,000.00 cruise, but still just pay the crew properly and put it in the advertised price.

30 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Gratuities, Crew Appreciation whatever you want to call it, are part of the package unfortunately. The whole thing has gotten out of hand especially in North America. We get "gratuity" prompt on debit machines all the time, more and more for things where a "tip" is not normally expected. I think that the whole "Crew appreciation" should just be included in the price. We are all shooting ourselves in the foot every time we tip more for drinks or your steward or any other crew member. We already paid the gratuity. This may come back to bight the crew in ways not intended. I think those extra cash gratuities will start to get smaller. As it is the new rate makes for another $86.00 for the cruise and more if they raise the rate before we sail in 2025. It's really incidental on a $30,000.00 cruise, but still just pay the crew properly and put it in the advertised price.

That has been proposed and discussed before and apparently, if it were to be added to the cruise fare then the cruise fare would have to go up by more than the crew appreciation.

From what was posted, the tax treatments for the crew in their home countries is very different from salaried to “tips”.  

There were some knowledgeable posters at the time (some with HAL) that explained it better than I could but the cruise fare would go up at least double to what the current crew appreciation is at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have no problem with an increase in the crew appreciation.

However, it will entail a cutback in the additional cash we give to crew.

We have generally given an additional eleven dollars a day (~$150 for a 14 day cruise) cash to crew at the end of the voyage. The amount per crew member varying base upon level of service. We will likely now only give cash to crew members for outstanding service.

We typically spend around $200 to $400 a day for our cruises on HAL for two of us including the taxes and tips. The extra $2 a day therefore amounts to less than a 1% increase. Compared to the increases in everything else it’s really quite insignificant and if anyone deserves it it’s the crew. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Don't care how much it increases. 

You can visit guest services and they will happily give you a form to complete to increase the tip amounts to a higher amount that "you do not care about"......The crew will be most appreciative!

We've used the form in the past to clear out our OBC and also to add a few bucks when expectations were exceeded.

5 hours ago, mwj said:

We have no problem with an increase in the crew appreciation.

However, it will entail a cutback in the additional cash we give to crew.

We have generally given an additional eleven dollars a day (~$150 for a 14 day cruise) cash to crew at the end of the voyage. The amount per crew member varying base upon level of service. We will likely now only give cash to crew members for outstanding service.

Agree.

I'm going to rethink our tip strategy.......Along with the auto charge tips, we've tossed cash around to those onboard who have exceeded our expectations (and sometimes we have filled out the form to increase the auto charge tips).....Maybe it's time to just let HAL assess the tips and we stop w/the extra cash......

Our next cruise is $74/day per person....at $16/day, tipping charge represents 22% of our cruise fare....seems reasonable but perhaps that's the ceiling. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

You can visit guest services and they will happily give you a form to complete to increase the tip amounts to a higher amount that "you do not care about"......The crew will be most appreciative!

We've used the form in the past to clear out our OBC and also to add a few bucks when expectations were exceeded.

We turned 5* this 51 day cruise. We have $800 in stand alone tips for our bar tenders and crew members. They work hard, we appreciate them, and we can afford it, thanks be to God.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am quite amazed by the number of replies to my initial informational  posting and note that others also have TAs who also passed on the same information.  I neglected to say initially that the information was sent by HAL to my TA.

Yes, the increase is small  and I agree that an increase in crew compensation is a positive thing. I would like to see gratuities included in the fare  on the small luxury lines and on many river cruise lines.  My experience there is that a high  level of service is maintained and crew don't get less because some remove the crew appreciation.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, helby said:

I neglected to say initially that the information was sent by HAL to my TA.

I thought your initial post was perfectly clear. The note was sent to your TA and is signed by HAL. Again, thanks for sharing.

I may get flamed for this but whatever they pay the crew via tips will never be enough. To solve the problem just include tips in cruise price. But I know HAL pricing will then be higher than other cruise lines.

Yep.  

Our two April cruises are now at the new tips of $16/day when I view the pre-pay online option....looks like we missed our opportunity to save $2 a day. 

That now explains why our TA was unable to get an answer from HAL regarding if we would be "grandfathered" if we bought them online before the price went up. They were scurrying to get the website updated with the new amount. 

Makes sense.

No worries.....

Edited by FlaMariner

I'm still seeing the old rates on HAL

. @Native Floridian 26 can you please link to where you see the increased rates on HAL?

@FlaMarinerwhat do you mean by "Our two april cruises are now at the new tips of $16/day"??? Isn't $16 a day the old rate? I'm totally confused.

image.png.ba25759e8abfc6fcf133094be4521c22.png

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/faq

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm still seeing the old rates on HAL

. @Native Floridian 26 can you please link to where you see the increased rates on HAL?

@FlaMarinerwhat do you mean by "Our two april cruises are now at the new tips of $16/day"??? Isn't $16 a day the old rate? I'm totally confused.

image.png.ba25759e8abfc6fcf133094be4521c22.png

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/faq

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/crew-incentive

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Thanks!! I couldn't find that to save my soul. I did find the old crew appreciation rate in both the FAQ and it's stills showing the old rates for my 2025 cruises. A bit inconsistent.

Let's hope HAL is still allowing those booked to pay at the 'book by' rate, but my TA can't get an answer out of HAL. I think it would be discourteous if HAL did a blanket raise without allowing those pre-booked an opportunity to pre-pay. All the other lines give their customers this grace period.

Also, what happened to the Feb 1st deadline? Maybe that is the grace deadline for all of us who are already booked? Again, my TA can't get an answer either.

25 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My bad.  I thought $16 is the new rate?  But it's the old rate?  

I am (obviously) confused also. Nothing new. LOL

1 minute ago, FlaMariner said:

My bad.  I thought $16 is the new rate?  But it's the old rate?  

I am (obviously) confused also. Nothing new. LOL

LOL.... no worries. We're in the same boat 🙂 

For clarification:

Anything other than a suite: old rate $16. New rate $17

Suites old rate $17.50 new rate $19

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

LOL.... no worries. We're in the same boat 🙂 

For clarification:

Anything other than a suite: old rate $16. New rate $17

Suites old rate $17.50 new rate $19

That’s my understanding on the pricing.

I couldn’t find the new rate either on the website until the link was kindly provided.  The Facts in Know Before You Go are still the old rate.

Interestingly enough I went to check my Volendam cruise earlier to see if showed there and the prepaid  crew appreciation is completely gone as an option.  I had prepaid ours due to the favourable exchange rate (no crystal ball) a few weeks ago.  I’ll find out what happens on board, I guess.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

That’s my understanding on the pricing.

I couldn’t find the new rate either on the website until the link was kindly provided.  The Facts in Know Before You Go are still the old rate.

Interestingly enough I went to check my Volendam cruise earlier to see if showed there and the prepaid  crew appreciation is completely gone as an option.  I had prepaid ours due to the favourable exchange rate (no crystal ball) a few weeks ago.  I’ll find out what happens on board, I guess.  

I also looked at my current booking to see the prepaid gratuities rate, but I couldn't find it either.

Edited by Native Floridian 26