Can debarkation airport transfers be purchased onboard?

SunnyNy

Yes, absolutely transfers to the disembarkation airport can be purchased on board. I have done it many, many times. 
If you have any unused OBC, that will work to pay for the transfer, too. As a solo, there are only two airports I have found where it costs less to use a taxi. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

San Diego is one of them.  The airport is down the street about 2 miles.

If you have non-refundable OBC then go ahead and use it for the transfer.

Otherwise you have options.

City bus $2.50 ....taxi $20+ tip.... Uber/Lyft....under $20 most of the time.

Many times I've encountered guest who have either walked to the pier or from it to the airport.

David

P.S. ADA equipped taxis/rideshare are difficult to find.  HAL transfers could be the best option.  

Edited by DAllenTCY

@DAllenTCY is there anywhere to store luggage at the cruise port after a cruise?  We have a later flight out of San Diego to Canada so can’t do that luggage transfer thing as our airline isn’t listed. Plus we can’t do a HAL tour/transfer because of the timing of our departure either apparently. 

We were just hoping to walk to a restaurant for lunch maybe but not lugging 2 suitcases (returning from a South Pacific cruise).   Thanks. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

We were just hoping to walk to a restaurant for lunch maybe but not lugging 2 suitcases (returning from a South Pacific cruise).

Hi CB! There are restaurants literally a block from the port exit, including across the street (you do have to make a "dog-leg" for the crosswalk) within the Wyndham Bayside. Lugging cases is quite possible.

ETA: here is a multi-venue venue! And you don't even have to cross the street:

https://portsidepier.com/

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Hi CB! There are restaurants literally a block from the port exit, including across the street (you do have to make a "dog-leg" for the crosswalk) within the Wyndham Bayside. Lugging cases is quite possible.

ETA: here is a multi-venue venue! And you don't even have to cross the street:

https://portsidepier.com/

We have been there several times but because we are doing the 35 day cruise will have more luggage & carry on than normal.  We just would have preferred to check it somewhere.  We will take the latest we can to get off the ship and I guess if we have to will just go really close by to grab a bite.  I will double check again once on the ship if we can take their tour then to airport but doubt it.  Thanks though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

We have been there several times but because we are doing the 35 day cruise will have more luggage & carry on than normal.  We just would have preferred to check it somewhere.  We will take the latest we can to get off the ship and I guess if we have to will just go really close by to grab a bite.  I will double check again once on the ship if we can take their tour then to airport but doubt it.  Thanks though!

There was a San Diego Zoo + airport transfer listed, but the only one showing now is a city highlight tour ending at the San Diego Airport. Says it's for flights leaving after 430pm. Allows you to not mess w/luggage once on the bus until you get to the airport. 

20240106_001602.thumb.jpg.97abe49af5f4ff273831c024e8829b4b.jpg

20240106_001616.thumb.jpg.82ff3faf96eef851f995af1bd61fbfb6.jpg

There's also the regular airport transfer which would allow you to drop your luggage at the airport and then you could go back out on your own w/o worry of luggage.

20240106_001545.thumb.jpg.3e1aef421b29abce581427e4987f8d8c.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Haljo1935  thanks for those photos/info about airport transfer.  One issue is we aren’t domestic but I’ll definitely check when we get on the ship if anything works.  We have lots of OBC so wouldn’t mind using some of that.  

• Like 1

You definitely can buy onboard but should book sooner rather than later - they usually stop selling 3 or 4 days before the end of the cruise. You most likely can just buy it in your navigator app under shore excursions. 

• Thanks 1