No Receipts for Pre-Cruise Purchases?

Today I booked the Crown Grill for a party of six. Two of our party have the Premium package and four do not.

The amount that Princess charged me does not match what the booking screen said would be charged.

After 90 minutes on the chat feature sending screen shots to prove my case, including what was charged on my MasterCard, the answer I got was

- “we don’t give out receipts” (excuse me???)

- “you can check what you were charged in your onboard folio” (in three months!?!)

- “call your bank”

Has anyone else run into this frustration? Any suggestion as to what I should do besides call my credit card company? I have no receipt to prove what the amount should be because Princess won’t give me one!

36 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

Today I booked the Crown Grill for a party of six. Two of our party have the Premium package and four do not.

The amount that Princess charged me does not match what the booking screen said would be charged.

After 90 minutes on the chat feature sending screen shots to prove my case, including what was charged on my MasterCard, the answer I got was

- “you can check what you were charged in your onboard folio” (in three months!?!)

- “call your bank”

Has anyone else run into this frustration? Any suggestion as to what I should do besides call my credit card company? I have no receipt to prove what the amount should be because Princess won’t give me one!

Yes, I agree the procedure is frustrating. Even when you book shore excursions you get an email advising of the payment amount but there is no reference to what you paid for.

In regard to your Speciality Dining at Crown Grill, I booked a dinner at Crown yesterday. Yep, you get nothing sent back re the payment. In my case, I am in Australia and booked the Crown Grill at $39. My credit card showed a larger amount and then I realised the amount shown on the website is in $US so my credit card amount was much higher when converted to Australian currency. I don't know where you are from so not sure if this is your issue.

Those responses you received from Princess are disgraceful and what happens when some functions are outsourced to slave labour companies. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, leck57 said:

Yes, I agree the procedure is frustrating. Even when you book shore excursions you get an email advising of the payment amount but there is no reference to what you paid for.

In regard to your Speciality Dining at Crown Grill, I booked a dinner at Crown yesterday. Yep, you get nothing sent back re the payment. In my case, I am in Australia and booked the Crown Grill at $39. My credit card showed a larger amount and then I realised the amount shown on the website is in $US so my credit card amount was much higher when converted to Australian currency. I don't know where you are from so not sure if this is your issue.

Those responses you received from Princess are disgraceful and what happens when some functions are outsourced to slave labour companies. 

I guess Princess thinks we’re stupid and don’t want to keep track of what we spend?

If it is a conversion issue, you would think that there should be some way to track that, too. *sigh*

I usually sail with Celebrity and have never had this issue. I have receipts for everything I have ordered, be it excursions, wifi, drink packages or specialty dining. 

I have taken to booking excursions just one at a time.  I wait for the email (usually just a couple of minutes at most), print it out and write on it which excursion it's for.  That's the only way that I have been able to try and keep all of my accounting straight.  ESPECIALLY if some is paid with OBC and "mixed" with CC payment!

• Like 3

I agree that Princess is doing a very poor job in this area.  Besides complaining and pointing out to their management that it is standard business practice with online purchases to provide a receipt identifying what was purchased and amount paid.  Our only other recourse is to take a screenshot before the transaction disappears.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have taken to booking excursions just one at a time.  I wait for the email (usually just a couple of minutes at most), print it out and write on it which excursion it's for.  That's the only way that I have been able to try and keep all of my accounting straight.  ESPECIALLY if some is paid with OBC and "mixed" with CC payment!

That’s part of the problem. I didn’t even get an email saying anything was purchased. My only confirmation is in my dining reservations and it shows no dollar amount at all. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Just now, Steelers36 said:

I agree that Princess is doing a very poor job in this area.  Besides complaining and pointing out to their management that it is standard business practice with online purchases to provide a receipt identifying what was purchased and amount paid.  Our only other recourse is to take a screenshot before the transaction disappears.

I wish I had taken a screen shot. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

That’s part of the problem. I didn’t even get an email saying anything was purchased. My only confirmation is in my dining reservations and it shows no dollar amount at all. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I neglected to mention that as a part of my "process" I take a screenshot first, then when I get an email I staple the two together.  Overkill...I know.

Yes, when it comes to SD reservations I don't believe I recall getting an email...not sure.  I do recall taking a very limited shot of my CC statement (showing *only* the line item for that SD charge) and using that as my "proof".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserMickey said:

I guess Princess thinks we’re stupid and don’t want to keep track of what we spend?

If it is a conversion issue, you would think that there should be some way to track that, too. *sigh*

I usually sail with Celebrity and have never had this issue. I have receipts for everything I have ordered, be it excursions, wifi, drink packages or specialty dining. 

The information for most of this is available on your cruise summary online. 

4 minutes ago, TRLD said:

The information for most of this is available on your cruise summary online. 

There is no record of my purchase of specialty dining in my Travel Summary. It should be there, but it isn’t.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, CruiserMickey said:

- “call your bank”

Yes, I have had very similar before the cruise for restaurant bookings and a few excursions and it took ages after various emails and different phone calls to get to someone at Princess who could actually confirm a few transactions and explain a few queries/discrepancies. I have always taken screenshots too, but these were not that helpful with one transaction. And as to why bookings I had made and paid for did not always appear on the app or the browser version…..grrrr!

But what a palava. And how utterly utterly crap that Princess do not issue automatic online receipts for paid transactions like this - as I have never once received one

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

Had something somewhat similar last year - Purchased onboard credit - Took THREE WEEKS for purchase confirmation email from the cruise line. Which was good since it Never showed on app/website summery, onboard account on tv or paper copy until final bill.

Guest service just kept saying they see it in the system.  Always showed up within a day or two with other cruise lines in summery/folio and email confirmation was within 24hrs. 

28 minutes ago, Camberley said:

And how utterly utterly crap that Princess do not issue automatic online receipts for paid transactions like this

This is a basic, necessary business practice. Otherwise how do you balance your books?

• Like 2

Booked Crown Grill prior to our cruise and my credit card has a pending charge. Assuming the credit  card goes thru prior to boarding the ship. Should I have waited to book the specialty restaurant until I get onboard so I can use ship board credit to pay for it?

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Poor is a understatement. I have taken to screen-shotting, because they do sometimes charge wrong and straightening it out is a major hassle. (No, I generally don't use a TA so it is my own time.) You can email, but expect to wait 3-4 weeks for any response.

20 minutes ago, Firefly74 said:

Poor is a understatement. I have taken to screen-shotting, because they do sometimes charge wrong and straightening it out is a major hassle. (No, I generally don't use a TA so it is my own time.) You can email, but expect to wait 3-4 weeks for any response.

I do use a US-based discount agent/agency, but I would not expect them to be chasing PCL for the extra charges I personally incur and not part of the basic cruise fare.  I don't use nor expect a "full service" TA.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be expecting the generous discount I get.  I respect their job and wouldn't have them chasing PCL for something unrelated to my cruise booking.  That's just me perhaps.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, califTraveler said:

Booked Crown Grill prior to our cruise and my credit card has a pending charge. Assuming the credit  card goes thru prior to boarding the ship. Should I have waited to book the specialty restaurant until I get onboard so I can use ship board credit to pay for it?

If you didn’t want the money coming out of pocket, then yes, you should wait to book.

We had used up our OBC for excursions, and wanted to make sure we got a table for six at the time we wanted. I paid to get what I want…but there should be a record of that payment and there is not other than on my credit card bill.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CruiserMickey said:

- “call your bank”

Yes.

if I order through the Prrsonalizer on my laptop I get an email receipt and can see it in my Travel Summary. 
when I order in the app- specialty dining and internet I do not get a receipt. Only see my reservations on DMW and the wifi ordered.

I print out my credit card as my receipt and keep it with my printed travel summary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserMickey said:

If you didn’t want the money coming out of pocket, then yes, you should wait to book.

We had used up our OBC for excursions, and wanted to make sure we got a table for six at the time we wanted. I paid to get what I want…but there should be a record of that payment and there is not other than on my credit card bill.

Agree 100%!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dog said:

I order through the Prrsonalizer on my laptop I get an email receipt and can see it in my Travel Summary. 
when I order in the app- specialty dining and internet I do not get a receipt.

My website personalizer would not allow me to book the reservation. It instructed me to book through the app. 🤷🏼‍♀️

41 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

My website personalizer would not allow me to book the reservation. It instructed me to book through the app. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes, the wifi & the Specialty dining have moved to the app and no receipt.

Neither the current Travel Summary, nor the "Payments" reflect the $39 charges associated with making reservations for specialty dining for our upcoming Enchanted voyage, so I am using my credit card statement as a "receipt" to show proof of payment.

I agree that a receipt would be nice, but the advice to check with your bank is not so bad.  You don't have to call; we just check the online status of our credit card payments (or debits).  Unfortunately they may show as pending for a while, but should clear soon.

As far as using OBC prior to departure, when you click on "pay now", it gives you the option to use the OBC.  I was pleasantly surprised by this when booking an excursion, as at first I was hesitant to click on the payment button.

The customer service could use a lot of improvement, but I am just trying to see the glass half full, and find work arounds.  Happy cruising in 2024!

7 hours ago, CruiserMickey said:

I don't know what credit card you use but I am able to check any charges easily online. Transactions made in foreign currency show up on my credit card listing in US dollars - not the foreign currency amount. For instance, we just cruised Australia and New Zealand. I put everything on my credit card. (I have Capital One so I got a text and an email each time telling me a new foreign transaction had been made on my card.) If I charged something for $170 AUD the actual charge that showed up on my credit card was $117 USD. It's quick and easy to check my account online.

• Like 1