A few notes about the Discovery Jan 6-13

4 hours ago, enfuego4cruising said:

Thank you for taking the time to post during your cruise. We appreciate your positive and upbeat style. It was fun to read along as we sailed along with you. It was even better to meet you and your DH. We look forward to seeing you on our upcoming sailings. Cheers and safe travels.

We will look for you on our upcoming cruises.  It was so much fun meeting you both.  I owe you a photo .. it’s still not sending.  But I will get it over to you!  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

All their wine glasses used to be the nicer ones on the Discovery but they now are replacing those with the hardy wine glasses

I’m just getting caught up reading your live from!  You took my birthday cruise without me this year 😂. Great comments, I always live reading your threads. 🥰 

I am so sad to hear they are going towards those industrial glasses. I just got off 34 days on Sapphire and they were really strict about not taking those glasses out of MDR or vines. I did bring enough good glasses for me, Adam and our friend on board. But what a pain. 

I’m so happy you guys had such a good time!  What a treat with that whale show!  We will see you for the Eclipse!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, f1jon said:

Hi @Cruise Raider thanks for the great posts. What bar did you ask for the thin rimmed glasses? We'll be on Discovery Jan 27. On Regal in April 2023, I asked very nicely for the nice glasses and was told no. 

The Riedel and other thin lip glasses were standard on the Sky last June. Vines should have them and that is where you will be served wine in those. They may or may not let you "borrow" them. We were chased down like criminals on the Grand in September 2022. No lie!

15 minutes ago, nini said:

The Riedel and other thin lip glasses were standard on the Sky last June. Vines should have them and that is where you will be served wine in those. They may or may not let you "borrow" them. We were chased down like criminals on the Grand in September 2022. No lie!

The Discovery doesn’t have a Vines.  But, you are right that the Grand was so protective of those glasses.  We used to have to trade out our wine when leaving Vines to go to dinner only to be in club class and they’d transfer it back into a nice glass in the dining room.  
That was so silly.  But, if people weren’t reckless with them, or maybe even try to take them home, they wouldn’t have to do that.  The bartenders were very aware of who took the glasses out of their bars and didn’t bother to return them.  

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’m just getting caught up reading your live from!  You took my birthday cruise without me this year 😂. Great comments, I always live reading your threads. 🥰 

I am so sad to hear they are going towards those industrial glasses. I just got off 34 days on Sapphire and they were really strict about not taking those glasses out of MDR or vines. I did bring enough good glasses for me, Adam and our friend on board. But what a pain. 

I’m so happy you guys had such a good time!  What a treat with that whale show!  We will see you for the Eclipse!  

Awe, thanks so much my friend!  
And yes, it was disappointing to see the nice wine glasses disappear but we were never denied one when we requested it.  Our waiter in GiGis was so nice that he saw us with the ‘joker glasses) and swapped them out in nice glasses for us.  
It truly was an amazing cruise and I can agree that the whale show was a very unexpected surprise.  
I have my feelers out about the wine bottle packages.  

23 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The Discovery doesn’t have a Vines.  But, you are right that the Grand was so protective of those glasses.  We used to have to trade out our wine when leaving Vines to go to dinner only to be in club class and they’d transfer it back into a nice glass in the dining room.  
That was so silly.  But, if people weren’t reckless with them, or maybe even try to take them home, they wouldn’t have to do that.  The bartenders were very aware of who took the glasses out of their bars and didn’t bother to return them.  

Thank you for noting that. I always said that it would be nice if we could be charged a deposit on the Riedel and then have it negated when returned.

Also, I have suggested that it would be lovely if Princess sold "souvenir" Riedel Princess stemware (engraved). That could bring in some bucks!

Edited by nini
  • Like 3

On 1/12/2024 at 11:16 AM, New2cruise2022 said:

@Cruise Raider Does the app allow you to schedule an order? Like, could I, hypothetically of course, order a latte in the evening to be delivered to my room in the morning at a scheduled time?

I don't believe it ever does. Use your door hanger for this

On 1/12/2024 at 8:43 AM, Cruise Raider said:

2) being able to view all the ship’s deck plans, not just the one you are on 

As of yesterday morning, they’ve stopped playing the music outside on deck 7, port side.  
My DH sent them praise and thanks over crew chat!  

We are staying on deck 8 in the same area and the music is very faint - I can barely hear it from our balcony. So thanks to your DH for apparently solving that issue! I am a light sleeper and wouldn't appreciate loud music.

You can see any deck plan in the app. There is a little drop down menu in the upper right-hand corner where you can change decks. It's not obvious so I can see how it would be missed.

I agree about the room service specialty coffee. I ordered an Americano this morning and it tastes like regular coffee. We have the Plus package so it's not a big deal, but I would not be happy if I had to pay for it.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:16 AM, New2cruise2022 said:

@Cruise Raider Does the app allow you to schedule an order? Like, could I, hypothetically of course, order a latte in the evening to be delivered to my room in the morning at a scheduled time?

Yes, you can set a time for your order via the app.  

24 minutes ago, MTAK said:

We are staying on deck 8 in the same area and the music is very faint - I can barely hear it from our balcony. So thanks to your DH for apparently solving that issue! I am a light sleeper and wouldn't appreciate loud music.

You can see any deck plan in the app. There is a little drop down menu in the upper right-hand corner where you can change decks. It's not obvious so I can see how it would be missed.

I agree about the room service specialty coffee. I ordered an Americano this morning and it tastes like regular coffee. We have the Plus package so it's not a big deal, but I would not be happy if I had to pay for it.

You are most welcome!  We take a white noise machine and it even bothered him through that and that was with the balcony door closed.  So, he was happy when they at least turned it down.  he also likes to sit out on the balcony and hear the ocean and that sound alone.  

The room service coffee isn’t even worth getting.  Even in the piazza, one of the waiters obviously had it made via the room service coffee machines.  It was more like a latte and a cappuccino.  

As for the deck plans, I haven’t found where you can view other ship’s deck plans.  I use it for when I am in the future cruise office and booking a different ship than the one I’m currently sailing on.  I have been able to view all the different decks, though.  And when at home, I can see any ship I wish.  I may be missing something.  

Do you recall the movies that were playing in the evenings on MUTS? The only one I know of is Barbie but my sister would like to know what other movies will be shown. We leave in 6 days!!

6 hours ago, cheezenip said:

Do you recall the movies that were playing in the evenings on MUTS? The only one I know of is Barbie but my sister would like to know what other movies will be shown. We leave in 6 days!!

I do have them written down somewhere.  I will look for you and post it.  None of them sounded that interesting to me but your mileage may vary.  

• Like 1

A few more comments about the new app .. 

I noticed that the app was not allowing me to bookmark anything towards the end of the cruise.  There was no location listed for the events, which is why I believe the new app didn’t have anyway to allow us to put it on our schedule.  
I don’t believe I mentioned this previously and it slipped my mind until I was trying to bookmark some events for my next cruise in the new app.  
I wanted to mention this is my post cruise survey and they no longer ask about the app where it was previously included.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I do have them written down somewhere.  I will look for you and post it.  None of them sounded that interesting to me but your mileage may vary.  

No longer necessary as someone posted them on Discovery now in another venue. Thank you for willing to do this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cheezenip said:

No longer necessary as someone posted them on Discovery now in another venue. Thank you for willing to do this.

Not a problem .. just came back to post them but just happy you got what you needed. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Usually the first day at sea and the last day at sea. So, 4/21 and 4/26?

You are right in that the first formal night was the first full sea day but the second formal night was on the 2nd to last sea day, so the 25th.  They rarely have a formal night on the last full day of the cruise.  

17 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

You are right in that the first formal night was the first full sea day but the second formal night was on the 2nd to last sea day, so the 25th.  They rarely have a formal night on the last full day of the cruise.  

Yep. That's what I meant, just not what I said.

• Like 1

Thanks to your trip report I'm currently sitting in Crooner's listening to Cola Sounds, probably the third or fourth set we have caught at least part of.  Definitely a new favorite thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 1:44 PM, cheezenip said:

If not prohibited, would you mind sharing where?   If it's an issue for the forum, I would welcome a DM.

Thanks @Cruise Raider for all that info!!!  I particularly liked seeing MDR menus that you shared.

For anyone, is the MDR menu a rotating schedule (you know, themed like Pub, French, Italian, etc)? Just curious.  Going to keep comparing to Royal Caribbean, but theirs was specifically cuisine themed each night. 

19 minutes ago, brgreens said:

Thanks @Cruise Raider for all that info!!!  I particularly liked seeing MDR menus that you shared.

For anyone, is the MDR menu a rotating schedule (you know, themed like Pub, French, Italian, etc)? Just curious.  Going to keep comparing to Royal Caribbean, but theirs was specifically cuisine themed each night. 

At lunch, you'll have Pub lunch one sea day, the rest of the sea days will be the same lunch menu. 

Dinner in MDR will have Italian night. Other MDR dinner menus will be Welcome, Princess, Gala, Captain's,and Farewell.  In the buffet, they'll have a focus on a cuisine daily, such as Germany, Italy, India, USA, etc. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

Really bummed to hear no chicken korma. My favorite thing about lunch. Did I see you mention that the gastropub is one of the included "specialty" restaurants that are included in the Plus package? I assumed it was just Gigi's