Very Confused Between RCCL and NCL 4 Day Cruise.

Daruma

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I can book a 4 day cruise with similar Caribbean itineraries on the NCL Jade out of Orlando/Port Canaveral, or the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas out of Tampa, (Tampa is more convenient at a 1 hr drive vs Port Canaveral being about 2.5 hr drive). 

Both are in the Aug/Sept, of 2024 timeframe.

The NCL one, for a solo traveler with an inside cabin is $1,389, which obviously includes FAS.

The RCCL is $680, ok... add about $150 for their non-alcoholic "Refeshment" package, and that's about $830.

I really don't care about the NCL FAS WiFi, or Speciality Dining, but if I do want Speciality Dining on the RCCL I can get Unlimited, (vs only 2 with NCL FAS), Speciality Dining for an additional $150 if I wanted to, and that's still only $980... CONSIDERABLY cheaper.

For those of you both more experienced in cruising in general, and more specifically have probably cruised both lines... what, if anything, am I missing? 

Thank you for your help.

Take care, 

Lou

Screenshot_20240107_170012_Brave.jpg

Edited by Daruma

Off the top of my head, one thing to note is that the Grandeur is about 10 years older than the Jade.  It's also consistently rated the worst ship in the RCCL fleet. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ditto to above. You simply cannot look at just two itineraries and think you are comparing apples to apples. Doesn’t work like that. Even within the Royal fleet there is an extraordinary difference between Grandeur and many of their other ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both.

My son is actually taking that RCCL GoS cruise in August 2024 as his college graduation present... I suppose I could book with the cancelation insurance and wait for his review, lol.

So, other than dated, possibly less... uh... "fun" ship... is that about it for tangible, objective differences vs subjective, opinion, (I'm not diminishing your thoughts, but looking for anything I'm missing regarding the price... value and "worth it" are opinion based), differences? 

Both reservations are on hold for about 80 hours... hence the beginning of my research, lol.

YouTube here I come 🤣😂

1 minute ago, destar said:

NCL offers a lot more with their package than RC, they are always more expensive, I find NCL worth it.

Such as? That's exactly what I'm looking for... what am I getting from NCL vs RCCL to justify almost double the price? 

22 minutes ago, Daruma said:

I really don't care about the NCL FAS WiFi, or Speciality Dining, but if I do want Speciality Dining on the RCCL I can get Unlimited, (vs only 2 with NCL FAS), Speciality Dining for an additional $150 if I wanted to, and that's still only $980... CONSIDERABLY cheaper.

Originally you posted that you don't care for the FAS package.

All the above are included with NCL package, you only pay gratuity for alcohol and dining. NCL has one of the best alcohol package at sea. 

• Like 1

Just now, destar said:

Originally you posted that you don't care for the FAS package.

All the above are included with NCL package, you only pay gratuity for alcohol and dining. NCL has one of the best alcohol package at sea. 

No, what I meant was I don't care about the WiFi or Speciality Dining that's included in FAS... but if I DID care about Speciality Dining, I could add UNLIMITED Speciality Dining on the RCCL cruise, vs only getting 2 on NCL, and still only come out to $980 vs $1,380.

I don't drink alcohol, so I'd have to upgrade NCL's FAS anyway to get soda, water, juice, coffee/tea, etc... for about the same $150 for RCCL's "Refeshment Package" so that's a wash.

6 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Are they both priced for that week in September? You mention August/September, and if the NCL is in August, it will be more than mid-late September for the RCL cruise.

NCL is last week of August, RCCL is a month later; last week of September. 

Also, and this may account for much of the difference now that I think of it...

The RCCL only stops in Cozumel. 

NCL stops at Nassau, Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, and Grand Bahama Island... so port fees probably play a part in that pricedifference.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that NCL's deposits are completely refundable until 4 months out so you could make the deposit and take your time researching.  I haven't sailed on RC's older ships (except back when they were new) but the Jade is no spring chicken either.  We have been on the Jade 3 times and like the ship.  However, I choose cruises on itinerary and prefer port heavy so the ship is very secondary.  We tend to lean into NCL for the FAS package and our status perks. I've never been on a ship I actively disliked though on any line.  Least favorite would be Carnival Sunshine due to it's annoying layout and crowded feeling.

We are also making a similar decision.  Booked on Celebrity Constellation next and it it quite the bargain compared to the NCL Viva, which is more than twice the price for a cruise of the same length.  To be fair, the Viva is brand new and has a great itinerary, which is a combination you don't find often.  We have been on Constellation previously so I'm not concerned.  If we cancel the Viva it will be because of the pricing.  I don't mind paying for something I want but I find it harder to enjoy something I've overpaid for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Are they both priced for that week in September? You mention August/September, and if the NCL is in August, it will be more than mid-late September for the RCL cruise.

I think you have hit on the main reason for the higher pricing.  Also, September is prime hurricane season, but I'm sure that's not news to the OP since he lives in Florida.

• Thanks 1

As a general rule, NCL holds prices fairly high early out and then tends to offer last minute discounts closer to sailing after final payment if inventory remains. If you want to sail NCL and you have to book early, then you'll likely have to pony up early in and maybe try to refare if prices decline. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

For me, I would do the NCL because of more port stops. Just preference.

Not sure what part of the beverage package you do want, but you could refuse the FAS drink package (or FAS all together) and not have to pay the gratuities on it, then buy NCLs soda package. If you are looking for the coffee/water/juice that's probably not your answer, but you could buy water for the room and it would probably reduce costs.

7 minutes ago, vswan said:

For me, I would do the NCL because of more port stops. Just preference.

Not sure what part of the beverage package you do want, but you could refuse the FAS drink package (or FAS all together) and not have to pay the gratuities on it, then buy NCLs soda package. If you are looking for the coffee/water/juice that's probably not your answer, but you could buy water for the room and it would probably reduce costs.

The problem with this, as I recently was informed, is that "declining" FAS doesn't drop the price of your cruise fare, so unless the gratuities are the actual concern, there's very little reason not to just take the benefit and use what you can of it. 

1 hour ago, destar said:

NCL offers a lot more with their package than RC, they are always more expensive, I find NCL worth it.

Not true at all.

I've just been comparing similar cruises on both NCL & RCCL.

For multiple world regions.

Royal's prices are dramatically higher than NCL's on all of them.

30 minutes ago, macewank said:

The problem with this, as I recently was informed, is that "declining" FAS doesn't drop the price of your cruise fare, so unless the gratuities are the actual concern, there's very little reason not to just take the benefit and use what you can of it. 

That depends on the items.

Neither DW or I are alcohol drinkers. Actually, I drink on occasion; DW very rarely.

Sailing on a 15 day next week. FAS gratuities are over $600  That is a CONCERN.

Declined!

Dining gratuities are a bargain (compared to purchasing dinners outright)- if you want to use those restaurants.

• Like 1

Hi there. 

The best thing you can do is to determine what is important to you and how much it's worth to you.

If you feel that you are comparing a similar experience on both ships, only you can decide if you want to spend more for the Norwegian experience vs. Royal. When we were pricing a British Isles cruise a while back, I really wanted to go with NCL as we were keen to try to focus our cruise dollars with one line to build loyalty perks (as you can see by my signature, we still haven't done that!) but I couldn't justify the price difference between them and Royal so we went with Royal. We had a wonderful cruise and no regrets. 

I have sailed on both vessels you are considering... mind you I was on the Grandeur in 1998 so I can't speak to what the experience would be like today. My parents, who began their cruising obsession with Royal, cruised on the Grandeur's sister ship the Enchantment last year and they said it was their last with Royal. If I recall correctly, their chief issues were the low quality of the food, the ship being rundown and service being lackluster (they are now booking NCL and Celebrity exclusively). 

Hubby and I cruised a 14 night itinerary on the Jade in November and it just sparkled. There are no top of ship bells and whistles, not even a movie screen at the pool, but it was renovated last year and looks brand new. Food ranged from very good to excellent and some of the most memorable meals we had were in the dining room over the specialties. Generally, it never felt overcrowded in any of the spaces (though the chair hogs were in full force for the entire cruise) and we had an amazing cruise. 

I'm one of those "any cruise is a good one" so I don't think you can go wrong. 

Whatever you decide, happy cruising!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Bear in mind that NCL's deposits are completely refundable until 4 months out so you could make the deposit and take your time researching.  I haven't sailed on RC's older ships (except back when they were new) but the Jade is no spring chicken either.  We have been on the Jade 3 times and like the ship.  However, I choose cruises on itinerary and prefer port heavy so the ship is very secondary.  We tend to lean into NCL for the FAS package and our status perks. I've never been on a ship I actively disliked though on any line.  Least favorite would be Carnival Sunshine due to it's annoying layout and crowded feeling.

We are also making a similar decision.  Booked on Celebrity Constellation next and it it quite the bargain compared to the NCL Viva, which is more than twice the price for a cruise of the same length.  To be fair, the Viva is brand new and has a great itinerary, which is a combination you don't find often.  We have been on Constellation previously so I'm not concerned.  If we cancel the Viva it will be because of the pricing.  I don't mind paying for something I want but I find it harder to enjoy something I've overpaid for.

We were in Cozumel recently, and the Constellation was next to us at the pier.  It had lots of visible rust and peeling paint on the outside.  My daughter talked to some one cruising on it, and they said that there was all new carpeting and paint on the inside.  FWIW.

Posted (edited)

Bottom line. you’re asking us to make YOUR cruise decision for YOU!

You’re on an NCL board.  So, sail the Jade.  I personally like the Gem class ships.  That would be a good choice!

Sounds like you want a la carte cruises.  I’d check out Carnival!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

We were in Cozumel recently, and the Constellation was next to us at the pier.  It had lots of visible rust and peeling paint on the outside.  My daughter talked to some one cruising on it, and they said that there was all new carpeting and paint on the inside.  FWIW.

Thanks for that info.  It is due for dry dock a month before we board.  The price is right and the itinerary (Italy and Croatia) is perfect so . . . as long as it floats, lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Sounds like you want a la carte cruises.  I’d check out Carnival!

No, I'm not looking for ala carte cruises, and I wouldn't touch Carnival with a 10 foot pole.

I'm simply asking/saying... I don't care about the WiFi at all on any ship, on any vacation... so NCL FAS WiFi is not a "plus" to me, nor do I particularly care about Speciality Dining for such a short, (4 day), cruise... I've received/purchased 4x Speciality Dining "chits" for my Escape 4/13/25, seven day cruise... but for a 4 day cruise, meh 🤷‍♂️

The main point of my question, and my apologies for not being more clear... is for pretty much double the price, what am I missing? 

Do I only get bread and water, and must pony up more to eat? Do I get no electricity in my cabin and have to pay more for it? Do I not get a bed and have to pay more for it? While those are facetious examples, hopefully that clarifies my question... are there a bunch of hidden fees/expenses on the RCCL that do not exist for, are already included in, the NCL price, (FAS not withstanding because I'm sure that's part of the difference, maybe all of it?)

Why is the NCL cruise, in August, with two more stops, worth DOUBLE, ($1,388 vs $680)?

As you and everyone else in this thread has proven, you're not comparing apples to apples.

NCL has FAS, RCCL does not

NCL has 2 more stops, RCCL does not

NCL ship is 10 years newer

NCL sailing is August, RCCL is end of September

If none of this is important to you, then you should choose RCCL!!

• Like 3