KEUKENHOF: FESTIVAL OF TULIPS

I have certainly been to Keukenhof. Even for someone who isn't in to flowers it was a fabulous day. I did it as part of a river cruise, on our last day in Amsterdam. I expected to take the first bus back, but I found it so interesting that I stayed until the later bus.

I know nothing about a tour from Rotterdam. I would make sure that I understood how much time you would have at Keukenhof. The alternative is to do it yourself. I checked the website and there aren't combination tickets from Rotterdam, so hopefully a local could give you information of public transport to Keukenhof.

3 hours ago, emarismom said:

Has anyone done this tour from Rotterdam?

It's not clear what tour you are referring to. Is this a shore excursion? 

As mentioned above, quite easy to do it yourself - frequent trains from Rotterdam to Leiden, and the combination transport from there and entrance ticket for Keukenhof available on their own website. https://tickets.keukenhof.nl/en-US/public-transport?journey=public-transport

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Like 2

The tour is called KEUKENHOF: FESTIVAL OF TULIPS. It is a tour from the MSC Euribia. It lasts 5 1/2 hours. We would do it on April 16th. I cannot find a private tour to Keukenof from Rotterdam. 

• Like 1

From Rotterdam cruise terminal to the Keukenhof will be about an hour each way, especially with a bus and some Keukenhof traffic congestion. Which will leave 3½ hours with your ship's excursion, this might suit you but DYI would leave more time.

1. Public transport is good here, you will have to take a tram/metro or taxi to Rotterdam Centraal Station, take a train to Leiden Centraal Station, buy a combi ticket for admittance and board a dedicated bus to Keukenhof as said by @Cotswold Eagle.

2. Arrange private transport, Google any "taxi" or Uber. Try contacting a taxi from the Leiden/Lisse area as they might be more interested as they can spent their time in between the rides better and could be more flexible than someone from Rotterdam who might need to wait.

In the park there's no need for a tour guide, just roam around, it's just transport that you will need to visit the Keukenhof from Rotterdam.

Enjoy The Netherlands! :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2024 at 1:50 PM, gnome12 said:

I have certainly been to Keukenhof.

How easy did you find it to get to the Tulip Festival taking the bus?  Did you go to the airport and hop on the bus or go to the ferry location and take the bus there or neither?

On 1/11/2024 at 1:27 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Public transport is good here

We are coming into Amsterdam cruise terminal.  Looking at all the transport options to buy the bus and entrance tickets.  Which would you say is easiest walk to Central station and take the ferry over to the bus, and/or get to the airport and hop on the bus.  Or is there a means we aren't thinking of?  Thank you

48 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

How easy did you find it to get to the Tulip Festival taking the bus?  Did you go to the airport and hop on the bus or go to the ferry location and take the bus there or neither?

Neither. It was an excursion from my river cruise.  We had a choice of 2 return times. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

We are coming into Amsterdam cruise terminal.  Looking at all the transport options to buy the bus and entrance tickets.  Which would you say is easiest walk to Central station and take the ferry over to the bus, and/or get to the airport and hop on the bus.  Or is there a means we aren't thinking of?  Thank you

I am not sure what ferry you are referring to, the cruise ship (both river and ocean cruises) dock is on the Amsterdam Centraal Station side in Amsterdam so there's no need to use a ferry. You can easily walk or take the tram for a minute to get to Amsterdam Centraal Station from the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam/Cruise Port Amsterdam.

From there you have two options for public transport, take the Metro underneath the station to Europaplein (Amsterdam RAI convention center) and board the Keukenhof Express Bus there. Or take a train to Schiphol Airport and board a different Keukenhof Express Bus. 

Check out the map at https://keukenhof.nl/en/ov/ 

I would suggest the Metro to Europaplein as it will be cheaper and quicker. The Keukenhof website provides a detailed step a by step.

Enjoy!:classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greatestvalue said:

Is Amsterdam Central Station considered the same as Amsterdam City Centre?  

image.png.5eabb982317e46e574f62356f99c69a0.png

Starting at Amsterdam City Centre you will see by metro 52 it lists Amsterdam CS (Central Station) as a stop. You would take the tram from there about 20 minutes to Europaplein to catch the bus to Keukenhof.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 2

As said above, it's indeed the Amsterdam city center as an general area. The metro is the fastest route from Amsterdam Centraal Station, the bus route is more to the west and therefore less of an option. For anyone doing some Amsterdam sightseeing or staying in the city centre before heading to Keukenhof it might be a good option.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, fuzzywuzzy said:

We will be in Amsterdam May 25 for three days. Are the gardens still open?  Would there still be flowers to see at this time?

Keukenhof closes on May 12th this year.  

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Keukenhof closes on May 12th this year.  

When does it open? We are on a river cruise in late March, and I believe it is one of the stops.