P&O World Cruise 2024 - Red Sea Situation

Hi, I'm currently scheduled to transit the Red Sea on Arcadia in early April 2024 (on the second half of the voyage starting Sydney). Given the almost daily missile and drone attacks in the Red Sea area at the moment I can't imagine P&O will be sending a big white ship complete with Union Jack livery through there anytime soon.

I cant get a meaningful response out of P&O as to whether the cruise will:
  1) Continue as planned (unlikely)
  2) Be cancelled (as other cruise lines have done)
  3) Be re-routed via Africa (as at least one other cruise line has done)
  4) Be cut short and guests flown home fron sat Sri Lanka or Singapore

I believe Arcadia set sail earlier this week on the first leg of the cruise to the USA and Caribbean.

Has anyone on this forum heard anything?

Have any world cruise passengers currently on board been informed of any changes to itinerary or have any information to share?

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Like 1

It will be too early to know. I know one other cruise line, who have told their passengers that the final decision point will be India, as to whether they go via Africa or not. It’s still a long way away, 3 months. Tensions may have escalated, remained the same or (hopefully) reduced… 

19 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

It will be too early to know. I know one other cruise line, who have told their passengers that the final decision point will be India, as to whether they go via Africa or not. It’s still a long way away, 3 months. Tensions may have escalated, remained the same or (hopefully) reduced… 

This is a fair summary of what will happen. An earlier decision may be taken if the situation worsens.

I do not believe 2 or 4 will happen as ship needs to return to the UK. If it’s not safe enough to sail with passengers, then it won’t be safe enough to transit the ship with just crew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cruise_Ready_59 said:

Unfortunately, my access to P&O Arcadia FB is still 'Pending' so I can't look at the moment

Me too. Mine has been pending for 2 days. Not sure why.  I have received  the p.o email as I was due to disembark in Dubai and had  booked a 3 day post cruise stay.  Now disembark Cape Town on 1st April. No update  about flight back to Manchester.  

Carnival have now changed all their cruises through the Red Sea, I expect there is a lot of relieved people out there and also apparently some, as usual, shouting for compensation. What would they rather do sail through the Red Sea with a big Union Jack painted on the bow, I think not 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1