World Wine tour variety in different regions

zitsky

I did the world wine tour about a week ago on Eclipse, South America.  It was different than the Beyond, Mediterranean, but not entirely.  If I do it next on the Millie in Asia next year, will it be much different?

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I did the world wine tour about a week ago on Eclipse, South America.  It was different than the Beyond, Mediterranean, but not entirely.  If I do it next on the Millie in Asia next year, will it be much different?

I am signed up to do it on our May Millennium sailing. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

figure its based on inventory of that sailing.  might be some variation but mainly the same

I do not know what to expect for wine on an Asia sailing, both at this event and in the restaurants.  We are in the Retreat.  

Why worry,  its vacation and being suprised is good.  Yes get details down on what you want to do excursions. Food and beverage on ship will be same menus mostly with a few add ons hopefully 

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

I do not know what to expect for wine on an Asia sailing, both at this event and in the restaurants.  We are in the Retreat.  

I was on a 15 night TA on the Apex last spring and the wines being offered for wine tour were just from the basic package and several I have had before.  Didn't bother to sign up.

Why waste $45 plus gratuities. 

4 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Why worry,  its vacation and being suprised is good.  Yes get details down on what you want to do excursions. Food and beverage on ship will be same menus mostly with a few add ons hopefully 

My pet peeve is when you ask a question and someone says “why worry?”.

You almost never miss your cruise.  Why worry?

You almost never get norovirus on a cruise.  Why worry?

I’m a project manager.  I’m PAID to worry.  And I don’t LIKE surprises.

Edited by zitsky

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

My pet peeve is when you ask a question and someone says “why worry?”.

You almost never miss your cruise.  Why worry?

You almost never get norovirus on a cruise.  Why worry?

I’m a project manager.  I’m PAID to worry.  And I don’t LIKE surprises.

Not much different background in I have run many projects, small to large, ie taking over 300 room hotel,  but I gave up worrying about everything on vacations and learned it is not needed besides the main details.  Tickets, air hotel etc  All what am I going to drink on day one and eat is not important enough to worry about.  Always plenty of choices and if I don't like it I get something else. Not going to focus on one small event on a week plus vacation beforehand and contemplate should I or shouldn't I.   I fully relax and tune it all out, ie will not project manage my vacation and life.  And since I been doing that, I have had the greatest vacations.  All different I get it.

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I was on a 15 night TA on the Apex last spring and the wines being offered for wine tour were just from the basic package and several I have had before.  Didn't bother to sign up.

Why waste $45 plus gratuities. 

We happened to go to World Class bar when they were doing the wine tasting event and thought the wines we saw coming from the different tasting tables we're labels that we didn't notice from the premium package. Now, didn't have a chance to examine any up close but we were tempted to join in but it was nearer the end of the event so didn't. But,our bartender said to help yourselves to some Charcutie to go with the wines we were drinking!

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

I would expect it to be no different than what it is on a Caribbean or Mediterranean cruise.  Celebrity stocks pretty much the same wines fleet wide so the samples I would expect to be selected from onboard offerings. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I would expect it to be no different than what it is on a Caribbean or Mediterranean cruise.  Celebrity stocks pretty much the same wines fleet wide so the samples I would expect to be selected from onboard offerings. 

I guess we’ll have to bring our own muscadine from North Carolina if Celebrity won’t stock the good stuff.

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I guess we’ll have to bring our own muscadine from North Carolina if Celebrity won’t stock the good stuff.

That would be a wise choice as I am sure you will not find that offering onboard. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

That would be a wise choice as I am sure you will not find that offering onboard. 

You’re probably the only person outside North Carolina who would call that a “wise choice”.

I've done the world wine tour on every cruise we've taken when it was offered (some it was cancelled on).  FWIW - we also stay in Retreat, and the wines are not anything above/beyond what you would get in Luminae or the Retreat lounge.  

If you are doing the world wine tour in hopes of finding a new hidden gem, I would say skip it.  If you are hoping to find something that you won't be able to get anywhere else onboard, skip it. If you are doing the world wine tour as a way to enjoy an hour or so of sampling different wines and chatting with others and the sommeliers about the wines - then I would say sign up.  We enjoy the experience of the event for the socialization aspect - talking to the other people about the wines - so that's part of the fun.  I suspect it will be wines you'll find at the restaurants onboard, and wines you've sampled on the other trips.

Hope that helps.

22 minutes ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I've done the world wine tour on every cruise we've taken when it was offered (some it was cancelled on).  FWIW - we also stay in Retreat, and the wines are not anything above/beyond what you would get in Luminae or the Retreat lounge.  

If you are doing the world wine tour in hopes of finding a new hidden gem, I would say skip it.  If you are hoping to find something that you won't be able to get anywhere else onboard, skip it. If you are doing the world wine tour as a way to enjoy an hour or so of sampling different wines and chatting with others and the sommeliers about the wines - then I would say sign up.  We enjoy the experience of the event for the socialization aspect - talking to the other people about the wines - so that's part of the fun.  I suspect it will be wines you'll find at the restaurants onboard, and wines you've sampled on the other trips.

Hope that helps.

I remember on one of the world wine tours I had a delicious Pouilly Fuisse the sommelier said it was Natalie Woods favorite so I had an extra glass for her 😆.  It sold on the ship for $55 a bottle that was many years ago well before they offered packages.  Unfortunately I went back to my cabin and fell asleep woke up just in time to go to dinner. 

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

You’re probably the only person outside North Carolina who would call that a “wise choice”.

My father once almost set our house on fire making muscadine wine in the basement of our house. 

It was the only wine I tasted until I was around 17.  

full disclousre -  I was born and raised in Alabama.. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

My father once almost set our house on fire making muscadine wine in the basement of our house. 

It was the only wine I tasted until I was around 17.  

full disclousre -  I was born and raised in Alabama.. 

North Carolina has some quite good wine if you look for it.

The central part of the state and west makes the best wine.  Muscadine is popular in the east but shows up elsewhere.  We grow everything from Cabernet Franc to Petit Manseng.

My favorite winery Raylen was just bought by higher end Jolo.  I also buy from the Biltmore Estate even though some of their grapes come from California.

I just today moved my North Carolina wine from the guest room to the wine refrigerator.  So no room for the case from Paso Robles.

Keep in mind that I drink $7 Costco Prosecco so you may want to ignore everything I say.

This is the vineyards in the area where we live -- 

image.thumb.png.9429e08c924742477710220f455a38bf.png

I am not sure I have ever had a North Carolina wine.  I'll have to check and see if there are any carried. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not sure I have ever had a North Carolina wine.  I'll have to check and see if there are any carried. 

Loudon County?  We’re members at Doukenie. Some of the others on that map are as much event centers as wineries…

But then there’s Catoctin Creek for great rye whiskey. And Market Burger…

20 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Look for anything from Biltmore Estate.  But others are good too.

Edited by zitsky

18 minutes ago, markeb said:

Loudon County?  We’re members at Doukenie. Some of the others on that map are as much event centers as wineries…

But then there’s Catoctin Creek for great rye whiskey. And Market Burger…

Love all those places.  

Catoctin Creek is noted for their Rye and I find it excellent.  

We also have Adroit Brewery close to us as well. 

Shssssh.  Don't tell about Market Burger, it is a closely guarded secret, fantastic burgers and fries. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Love all those places.  

Catoctin Creek is noted for their Rye and I find it excellent.  

We also have Adroit Brewery close to us as well. 

Shssssh.  Don't tell about Market Burger, it is a closely guarded secret, fantastic burgers and fries. 

And old school malts. Don’t forget those. Need to pick up our wines at Doukenie. And a burger…

😀

Just now, markeb said:

And old school malts. Don’t forget those. Need to pick up our wines at Doukenie. And a burger…

😀

We've been enjoying 868 Estate Vineyards lately.  Also visited Creeks Edge a few months back  Lovely venue. We had the place all to ourselves on a lovely day during the middle of the week. 

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

We've been enjoying 868 Estate Vineyards lately.  Also visited Creeks Edge a few months back  Lovely venue. We had the place all to ourselves on a lovely day during the middle of the week. 

We could hijack the whole thread here…

We’re big on Delaplane, and (we live in PWC) Pearmund, Vint Hill, and Effingham. None of which will ever be on a cruise ship!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, markeb said:

We could hijack the whole thread here…

We’re big on Delaplane, and (we live in PWC) Pearmund, Vint Hill, and Effingham. None of which will ever be on a cruise ship!

I worked in telecommunications when I was in the Navy so Vint Hill holds a special memory for me.  Love how they name their wines.    I pointed out there was a mistake in their Morse code on their home page -- they still have not fixed it 🙂 

• Haha 1