Do you have to tip on excursions you already paid for?

1412p0oi

I get the impression that most of these people do not want to tip anyone be it a waiter, barber Uber driver etc.  Personally I would rather pay $20 for a meal here plus a tip than $50 for a curry dish in London

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

Correct but beware there is a trend to start calling it a "service charge" which can be compulsory.

Yes, service charges are compulsory and also a set amount. It’s very different from tips. I see it often in restaurants, 

1 minute ago, david63 said:

It might be to a native but I can assure you that most places in NZ willing accept and even encourage tipping

I live in Auckland, NZs largest city - the most we ever get around tipping is a rare glass jar that sits on the cashier counter - but is never spoken or referred to.  And occasionally the EFTPOS machine may indicate a tip is possible - and in most cases the cashier apologises for it and advises how to skip it.

Case in point - how are gratuities managed in the Australian and NZ cruise market?  

Not against anyone that willingly wants to tip - go for gold. But when the requirement/expectation to tip is part of the culture then that's a different story.  No thanks to that coming down under!!!  

Just now, Torfamm said:

Yes, service charges are compulsory and also a set amount. It’s very different from tips. I see it often in restaurants, 

Just another name for practically the same thing

Just now, Citizenxnz said:

I live in Auckland, NZs largest city - the most we ever get around tipping is a rare glass jar that sits on the cashier counter - but is never spoken or referred to.  And occasionally the EFTPOS machine may indicate a tip is possible - and in most cases the cashier apologises for it and advises how to skip it.

Case in point - how are gratuities managed in the Australian and NZ cruise market?  

Those who book cruises in Australia and New Zealand from outside that region pay daily crew appreciation. If you book from that region, there is a different fare structure that includes them.

If I recall correctly, gratuities were included in drink prices but not in the spa

12 minutes ago, Citizenxnz said:

Just another name for practically the same thing

The difference is that tipping is optional and the amount decided by the customer. Service charges are a set fee that is a part of the total amount due. They also don’t necessarily go to the individual who provides the direct service.

For example, the service charge in a restaurant in Italy is more of a “cover charge” not an amount that goes to the server. In theory it goes to pay for linens, dishes, bread on the table etc.

Edited by Torfamm

3 hours ago, Citizenxnz said:

As a New Zealander, the practice of tipping is completely foreign to us.  I find the only place in the world where this becomes a big thing to have to manage is America - and it's not just a small brief thing - it's a thing that takes far more cognitive effort than is really necessary.  What is it now for mediocre service - 22%. Ouch, something not quite right there.

How about we resolve on this board to fix this once and for all - if you are a business manager let's just ensure everyone has a living wage and don't require our staff to professionally beg. It'll be super duper easy to fix I hope 😉

I tip 10% in the US, and no more. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, david63 said:

It might be to a native but I can assure you that most places in NZ willing accept and even encourage tipping.

Yes and England too.  About 10 years ago ate at a restaurant in Dover and the bill had the tip line for you to fill out.  

9 hours ago, chrysalis said:

The more that the tour guide reminds us to tip, the less I do....on one recent one, she must  have mentioned it at least 10 times during the relatively short bus ride to and from the destination. Small tip.

One guide in St Vincent handed out comment cards, and when we he collected them, proceeded to read each one....not very polite.

Oh my gosh, talk about putting people on the spot! That's something that would bar me from doing that excursion ever again, or possibly contact all future excursions to make sure that it's not a thing they do. I really hate things like that, and being a highly sensitive person putting me on the spot would really just ruin the experience. 

Thank you all for your reply! I just don't believe in America's tipping culture at all. It's obscene to be expecting me to pay 20% extra just for bringing my food to me? If you waive the 20% I'll go and grab my plate myself. I didn't grow up here and certainly hate a culture where I have a surcharge on top of already having prepaid for everything. It's really like a slap on the back to see a bill much larger than one that you had in mind seeing menu prices.

14 hours ago, Leo37 said:

Always a sensitive subject. When you book the tour, you have 100% paid for the tour, the guide, the activity etc. It's fully paid, there's no requirement or need to tip beyond that.

But, as others have said, some do choose to tip more. Depends on geography (more common in some parts of the world than others) and how good the tour is. We sometimes tip if the tour guide is good, if they are more mediocre we don't.

It's personal choice. No wrong answer.

I think that is the key.

If a tip is expected in the place you are touring do it.

Don't do it in places with a non tipping culture.

and poster not native to NZ who said tipping is encouraged there - not my experience or the experience of the many people I know who have travelled there.

I would take the poster from NZ to be the one who knows what it is like there.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Citizenxnz said:

Not against anyone that willingly wants to tip - go for gold. But when the requirement/expectation to tip is part of the culture then that's a different story.  No thanks to that coming down under!!!  

Scenic river cruises (and Wendy Wu land trips I have been on in Vietnam and China, booked in Australia)  have gratuities included in the price.

You are not expected to tip anyone on the ship or the excursions and I did not see or hear of anyone doing so.

Scenic's own literature says "all inclusive, leave your wallet at home" - I doubt anyone takes that absolutely literally but you certainly were not expected to do any tipping or paying extra to them on the trip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Torfamm said:

We encountered them in restaurant during a recent trip to Milan.  €2.50 per person added.  

On 1/11/2024 at 8:29 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

If you don't "play" a little before you cash out, you could be barred from using the slots. It has happened.

I was sort of planning on it.

you have to tip on excursions you already paid for?

We usually tip the guide a small amount, also the driver, and on occasion, the driver a little more than the guide..

Some of the roads we have been driven on in different parts of the world have been quite steep, high, narrow and scary.  Drivers on these routes have often had to undergo special tests to be approved to drive safely on them, and as we appreciate being back down safely at sea/street level,  we give the driver a tip to express our thanks for his/her care..

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/11/2024 at 5:42 PM, david63 said:

Correct but beware there is a trend to start calling it a "service charge" which can be compulsory.

In the UK, if it's compulsory then it has to be included in the base amount and can't be an additional charge, regardless of what it's called.  That's the law.

I think it's the same across the EU.

1 hour ago, fruitmachine said:

In the UK, if it's compulsory then it has to be included in the base amount and can't be an additional charge, regardless of what it's called.  That's the law.

I think it's the same across the EU.

In my experience it is not the same across the EU.  Maybe a footnote on the menu, IDK.   Last time in London (pre-covid) we had service charge added on the final bill.  They said it was because we were a group of six.  There seems to be some loopholes I the law.  

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

In my experience it is not the same across the EU.  Maybe a footnote on the menu, IDK.   Last time in London (pre-covid) we had service charge added on the final bill.  They said it was because we were a group of six.  There seems to be some loopholes I the law.  

Yes - you're right and I hadn't thought of that.  There's been a huge clampdown on the likes of low-cost airlines not being allowed to advertise a fare that had additional service charges & fees, but the larger group scenario still seems prevalent, so the law is not watertight.   If you're unhappy with the service, you can legitimately still refuse to pay even a mandatory charge.

Interestingly in the UK, if the charge is mandatory, it has to include 20% VAT (so the restaurant immediately have to give a sixth of it to the government) but if it's discretionary, then it's considered not liable to VAT (because it's actually a tip).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

The cruise I went on recently bills $20 per person for the cabin staff gratuity. That seem quite a lot. They aso charge 20% on speciality dining and 20% on the drink package cost, about  $150. I averaged about 3 glasses of wine a day at $10+

$2 gratuity + 47c tax.  I was billed 47c each time since the rest was prepaid. Question, since only $42 of the drink gratuity was used. Who pocketed the rest? Given I only spent $210 on drinks it was actually more than 20% on what i used.

To be constantly pressured for tips above  20% seem unreasonable 

Edited by Susannekells

On excursions I generally do not tip except in 2 different occasions on the same cruise.  1st time was ship booked tour in Belize to the Mayan ruins.  One of our guides was an amazing guy and took his time to share so much about the ruins, their culture and I was the only one who tagged along to listen to him.  He helped me get great pictures (solo cruiser) and after hearing his partner talk at our lunch stop about how the one beer Belize makes is trash (and it is) and how much their people in Belize LOVE Bud LIght but how expensive it was ($4/can apparently she hasn't been to NY, Vegas or a cruise ship LOL) I had no problem buying him a couple of Bud Lights over lunch.  Needless to say he was the envy of other tour guides he was dining with when I brought them over.  He was such a great guide I got his email and we keep in touch.  If I get the chance to do Belize again I would hire him in a heart beat.

The 2nd was a private tour I booked in St. Lucia.  Wasn't fancy.  Riding around in the dude's wood panel 70s station wagon but a top notch local tour.  I was the only one willing to ride in the front seat with him but the added commentary and conversation was GOLD.  We had a traditional St. Lucian lunch which was warm home made bread and a local cheese.  He apologized as he though I was expecting a fancy lunch (some of the others were whining) and I laughed and told him the only thing I wished I had was maybe some butter for that warm bread but other than that I was happy.  Needless to say at some of our shopping stops he steered me to the locals and made sure I got good discounts.  The banana liquor I bought was on his recommendation and it was fabulous.  I flipped him a $20 and he was over the moon.

Bottom line is if a tour guide makes the focus of their talk their gratuity you won't see me reaching into my wallet.  Do just a bit more and make the tour special and the focus is sharing the local culture and vibe:  you will get a lot of appreciation from me.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:11 PM, 1412p0oi said:

I really want to know because I don't have any cash on me and my bank isn't a depository one either (and haven't used cash in almost a decade to pay for anything) and an article brought this to my attention. Second, it's frankly a gulling practice to me for people to be *expecting* tips from you as part of an excursion I already paid big bucks for. So I would really like to hear people's thoughts on this and whether I will be prevented from going back on the cruise ship if I don't give a tip.

Whether you feel an obligation to tip tour guides is predominantly based on your Nationality.

Personally, I feel no obligation to tip any guide. However, if a guide provides my wife or i with exceptional service, we will provide a tip, with the size of tip relating to how we valued the service. If they just did the minimum, they get nothing, but a thank you.

11 hours ago, Susannekells said:

I went on a tour a driver took as to 3 places in each place there was a tour guide and a driver, 7 people all  wanting tips. The cruise I went on recently bills $20 per person for the cabin staff gratuity. That seem quite a lot. They aso charge 20% on speciality dining and 20% on the drink package cost, about  $150. I averaged about 3 glasses of wine a day at $10+

$2 gratuity + 47c tax.  I was billed 47c each time since the rest was prepaid. Question, since only $42 of the drink gratuity was used. Who pocketed the rest? Given I only spent $210 on drinks it was actually more than 20% on what i used.

To be constantly pressured for tips when you already paid 20% is unreasonable