MSC coming to Galveston in November 2025

George C

I’m going to say this with a disclaimer - I live just under 2 hours away from Galveston and I’m thankful for the many options we now have, compared to just 10 years ago when Carnival was the only option for year-round cruising and Royal Caribbean was only a seasonal option; however, does anyone else think that having 3 mega ships offering the same, tired year-round itinerary is a bit much? 

MSC seems very confident, diving right into Galveston with one of their newest, largest ships. This will be very interesting to see how this over saturated market affects prices in the next couple years and how each line plans on competing with the next. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mattcj89 said:

I’m going to say this with a disclaimer - I live just under 2 hours away from Galveston and I’m thankful for the many options we now have, compared to just 10 years ago when Carnival was the only option for year-round cruising and Royal Caribbean was only a seasonal option; however, does anyone else think that having 3 mega ships offering the same, tired year-round itinerary is a bit much? 

MSC seems very confident, diving right into Galveston with one of their newest, largest ships. This will be very interesting to see how this over saturated market affects prices in the next couple years and how each line plans on competing with the next. 

The next time you cruise out of Galveston, ask your fellow passengers where they are from. Galveston is the cruise gateway for the midwest, west and yes, even northeast.  Galveston is the #4 busiest cruise port, if you are major cruise company eventually one needs to be in Galveston. Even NCL and Disney gives a nod to Galveston.

This is MSC's way of tapping into the midwest and west cruisers.

Edited by longhorn2004
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

The next time you cruise out of Galveston, ask your fellow passengers where they are from. Galveston is the cruise gateway for the midwest, west and yes, even northeast.  Galveston is the #4 busiest cruise port, if you are major cruise company eventually one needs to be in Galveston. Even NCL and Disney gives a nod to Galveston.

This is MSC's way of tapping into the midwest and west cruisers.

I understand that, but if I were to guess, I’d say less than 25% of people cruising out of Galveston fly in for their cruise. I recognize and am very appreciative that Galveston has grown exponentially as a cruise port, but is an itinerary carrying around 15k passengers on a weekly basis truly viable long term? Maybe I’m overthinking, but I cruise for the ports in addition to the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattcj89 said:

I understand that, but if I were to guess, I’d say less than 25% of people cruising out of Galveston fly in for their cruise. I recognize and am very appreciative that Galveston has grown exponentially as a cruise port, but is an itinerary carrying around 15k passengers on a weekly basis truly viable long term? Maybe I’m overthinking, but I cruise for the ports in addition to the ship. 

Be it Galveston, Florida, West Coast or Alaska, itineraries  remain the same for those cruise ships unless a repositioning.  It's all about choices; Galveston has proven to be very profitable.

23 hours ago, mattcj89 said:

I agree. Time will tell. I have been waiting to try MSC but what surprises me most is that they are building a new terminal without testing the waters first. 

The question asked most often from people flying in to sail from Galveston is usually about transport. If this increased traffic is to be a success let’s hope hotel shuttle services, taxis, self-drive facilities and supporting services expand accordingly to keep up with increased volume of passengers, or for many it will be a one and done visit.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Be it Galveston, Florida, West Coast or Alaska, itineraries  remain the same for those cruise ships unless a repositioning.  It's all about choices; Galveston has proven to be very profitable.

With the exceptions of the West Coast and Alaska, what mega ships have one single itinerary featuring the same three port stops all 52 weeks of the year? I love to cruise from Galveston, as it’s my homeport and preferred port to cruise from, but I can’t think of any other mega ship that doesn’t have more than one single itinerary to choose from.

Unfortunately, on these larger ships the options are very limited as to where they can go in one week without tendering. I love the growth and options we have out of Galveston, but some varying itineraries would be appreciated; possibly 8/6 day rotations - Costa Maya, Jamaica, Cozumel (8 day) and Cozumel, Roatan (6 day). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattcj89 said:

With the exceptions of the West Coast and Alaska, what mega ships have one single itinerary featuring the same three port stops all 52 weeks of the year? I love to cruise from Galveston, as it’s my homeport and preferred port to cruise from, but I can’t think of any other mega ship that doesn’t have more than one single itinerary to choose from.

Unfortunately, on these larger ships the options are very limited as to where they can go in one week without tendering. I love the growth and options we have out of Galveston, but some varying itineraries would be appreciated; possibly 8/6 day rotations - Costa Maya, Jamaica, Cozumel (8 day) and Cozumel, Roatan (6 day). 

+1

and more 10/12 nights to add to the  sprinkling currently available.

• Like 3

We have sailed several repositioning cruises in and out of Galveston,  Spring was Panama Canal up to Alaska.  May of this year sailing the Voyager to Europe for a total of 33 days. Also have sailed from Quebec and New York several times.  I really don't care for the mega ships; preferring Vision and Radiance class.  Leaving Sunday on Harmony for DH's birthday cruise with friends.  The ports are not important on this itinerary as we just like to be at sea.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I agree. Time will tell. I have been waiting to try MSC but what surprises me most is that they are building a new terminal without testing the waters first. 

The question asked most often from people flying in to sail from Galveston is usually about transport. If this increased traffic is to be a success let’s hope hotel shuttle services, taxis, self-drive facilities and supporting services expand accordingly to keep up with increased volume of passengers, or for many it will be a one and done visit.

I agree with your comment on transportation but I don't see anything changing in the near future.   Yes, there is demand but the majority look for the cheapest and, with costs what they are today, it is unaffordable for businesses.  They have performed due diligence and find it not profitable. We are an island with limited resources.  Local businesses struggle to find and keep employees.

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

I agree with your comment on transportation but I don't see anything changing in the near future.   Yes, there is demand but the majority look for the cheapest and, with costs what they are today, it is unaffordable for businesses.  They have performed due diligence and find it not profitable. We are an island with limited resources.  Local businesses struggle to find and keep employees.

I understand the problems. Galveston is my local port and have sailed many times and enjoy the repositioning too - TA’s, Galveston to Bayonne last year and bringing ships in, so transport doesn’t generally affect me but I do see the question asked all the time. I agree with @mattcj89 and think the target market has to be expanded beyond local drive-in cruisers.

However building ports and bringing in new big ships isn’t going to be sustainable if the supporting infrastructure isn’t there. Hopefully the cruise lines have done due diligence too and cooperative arrangements can be reached to benefit both sides, otherwise the new choices and variety may be short lived.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Belize is building an island that can handle four Oasis size ships, no more tendering, at least from the ship. The island will be a destination port. Smart move.

Don't think Grand Cayman wants larger ships, hence why they keep stalling on building a port. 

I agree, more itineraries containing some of the east Caribbean would be nice. 

2 hours ago, longhorn2004 said:

Belize is building an island that can handle four Oasis size ships, no more tendering, at least from the ship. The island will be a destination port. Smart move.

Wasn’t this supposed to open in 2020? Any updates on its progress or which cruise lines will use it? 

I was actually referring to the new “piers”  in Galveston rather than new ports as destinations in my post above. Other cruise lines have come and gone from Galveston. I just find it strange that MSC would build a new terminal without test sailing for a season first.

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Wasn’t this supposed to open in 2020? Any updates on its progress or which cruise lines will use it? 

I was actually referring to the new “piers”  in Galveston rather than new ports as destinations in my post above. Other cruise lines have come and gone from Galveston. I just find it strange that MSC would build a new terminal without test sailing for a season first.

I wondered that too, they must be very confident of their position in the market.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2024 at 5:02 PM, c-leg5 said:

The Port of Galveston will refurbish the building currently in place. There are no plans to build a new structure at this time.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, MoCowBell said:

The Port of Galveston will refurbish the building currently in place. There are no plans to build a new structure at this time.

It may not be a complete new structure but it is the refurbishment of a cargo warehouse to create a new fourth cruise ship terminal and all the infrastructure that entails as opposed to renting space at an existing terminal.

Are you saying that the Port of Galveston is footing the bill for refurbishment at no cost to the cruise line?

Edited by c-leg5

Posted (edited)

New terminal at Pier 16 at MSC's cost.

GALVESTON

MSC Cruises said Thursday it would would begin booking 2025 sailings from the Port of Galveston.

The sailings would redefine the cruising experiences in the region with the modern amenities available on MSC Seascape, one of the newest and most environmentally friendly ships in the company’s fleet, the line said.

The news comes as the Port of Galveston irons out an agreement to bring the company to its planned $140 million fourth cruise terminal, which could be complete by 2025.

“MSC’s announcement to open sales for the MSC Seascape is an exciting day for our port and our cruise market,” Port Director Rodger Rees said.

“It indicates how close we are to executing an operating agreement with MSC Cruises to bring this world-class cruise experience for the first time to Galveston. Once the operating agreement is finalized, we’ll announce the port’s plans for a proposed fourth cruise terminal at Pier 16.”

Seascape would offer seven-night sailings to Mexico and Central America beginning in late 2025, according to the company.

“Expanding to Galveston with the magnificent MSC Seascape is a pivotal moment for us at MSC Cruises and for our guests,” Rubén Rodríguez, president of MSC Cruises, said. “Expanding our U.S. footprint makes our unique cruise experience more accessible to travelers in the central and western parts of the country and it illustrates our commitment to providing families in the region with unparalleled vacation options.”

Starting Nov. 9, 2025, MSC Seascape will set sail from the Port of Galveston to destinations including Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Isla de Roatan, Honduras.

The Seascape is equipped with 7,500 square feet of dedicated children’s space and other amusement options. The ship features about 2,200 cabins and 12 different kinds of suites, with 11 dining venues and 19 bars and lounges, according to the company.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser
  • Like 1

The link is a paid link but I am sure finances will be a joint negotiated venture. It is pedantic to argue whether it is a new structure or refurbishment. Net result is a new terminal.

5 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

The link is a paid link but I am sure finances will be a joint negotiated venture. It is pedantic to argue whether it is a new structure or refurbishment. Net result is a new terminal.

The article is from the Galveston County Daily News.  I did not put the link as one must be a paid subscriber to our newspaper.  The MSC terminal will be new as no structure at Pier 16;  Just as the RCL terminal at Pier 14 was new construction.

17 hours ago, MoCowBell said:

It will be a new structure.  There is no terminal at Pier 16.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MoCowBell said:

Below is from the Port if Galveston.  A new terminal will be built at a proposed cost of $56 million.

https://www.cruisehive.com/port-of-galveston-one-step-closer-to-cruise-terminal-16/115257

50 minutes ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Below is from the Port if Galveston.  A new terminal will be built at a proposed cost of $56 million.

https://www.cruisehive.com/port-of-galveston-one-step-closer-to-cruise-terminal-16/115257

If only they had included one more sentence from the original quote.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/02/25/4th-cruise-terminal-complex-coming-to-port-of-galveston/

“The port will develop the $100 million cruise terminal, $42 million parking garage, internal roadway and other improvements at Pier 16 beginning in early 2024. The estimated $142 million project will be funded with port cash reserves and revenue bonds. The port will convert an existing cargo warehouse into the 165,000-square-foot cruise terminal,” the port said in a news release.

“We’re able to begin this new project now because Del Monte Fresh Produce Co., a long-standing cargo tenant, has outgrown its facilities in Galveston. We are happy to see that Del Monte was able to relocate 30 miles to the south in Freeport, thus retaining its regional economic impact. We leveraged this opportunity based on the unprecedented popularity of the cruise industry and our optimal location in the central part of the United States,” Rees said.

10 minutes ago, MoCowBell said:

If only they had included one more sentence from the original quote.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/02/25/4th-cruise-terminal-complex-coming-to-port-of-galveston/

“The port will develop the $100 million cruise terminal, $42 million parking garage, internal roadway and other improvements at Pier 16 beginning in early 2024. The estimated $142 million project will be funded with port cash reserves and revenue bonds. The port will convert an existing cargo warehouse into the 165,000-square-foot cruise terminal,” the port said in a news release.

“We’re able to begin this new project now because Del Monte Fresh Produce Co., a long-standing cargo tenant, has outgrown its facilities in Galveston. We are happy to see that Del Monte was able to relocate 30 miles to the south in Freeport, thus retaining its regional economic impact. We leveraged this opportunity based on the unprecedented popularity of the cruise industry and our optimal location in the central part of the United States,” Rees said.

What makes that original?

It is a rehash of the Feb 6 announcement by the port.