HAL Alaska SB on Noordam or NB on Nieuw Amsterdam

Parissa

Hi,

This will be my 1st time on HAL Alaska cruise. Would really appreciate your opinion. Booking a 7 day Glacier cruise and planning on spending couple days in Anchorage either on the front end or back end.  I've read that Nieuw Amsterdam is preferred over Noordam and that it's better to go sail Southbound vs Northbound. My ideal week would be going Northbound on NA  or Southbound on Noordam, however I'm somewhat flexible on which week I choose!  So my question is, should I book the cruise based on the North or Southbound trip or book it based on the ship preference?   South bound on Noordam or Northbound on Nieuw Amsterdam. Thank ou

Our Alaska cruise wasn't on HAL, and our experience with HAL is only with Noordam (which we enjoyed in New Zealand/Australia *very* much!).

We carefully chose a NB itinerary.  We wanted to enjoy the "landscape" on shore. early in the season.  We wanted the scenery to be likely to get more dramatic as the cruise continued on, rather than the other way.

So we also carefully selected starboard side, which on a one-way cruise Vancouver to Seward/etc., would have the shore almost entirely on the starboard side.

It was definitely the right decision... for *us*.

Others may have different preferences.

We also enjoyed the inside passage, which isn't usually included unless on sails from Vancouver.  (Seattle departures usually go outside of Vancouver Island.)

We thought the Hubbard Glacier was the high point; we enjoyed it more than Glacier Bay.  There was a LOT of calving, and the Captain let us stay there for a long time, slowly spinning the ship so everyone could enjoy that view even if they weren't roaming around on the ship (which is recommended for this itinerary... it's ALL so gorgeous!).

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Parissa said:

Booking a 7 day Glacier cruise and planning on spending couple days in Anchorage either on the front end or back end.  I've read that Nieuw Amsterdam is preferred over Noordam and that it's better to go sail Southbound vs Northbound.

We very much enjoyed our cruise on the Zuiderdam (sister to Noordam); the main thing that Nieuw Amsterdam has that the Vista ships (Noordam is one) don't is the upcharge restaurant Tamarind. 

We booked our one 1-way AK cruise NorthBound and found it was as GeezerCouple described -- you are getting more and more ALASKAN as you go! If you have a stressful job or life, cruise-first allows you to relax (in between sightseeing) before tackling upper Alaska!

Northbound Nieuw Amsterdam is my recommendation.

Back to add -- out of Vancouver for the "true" inside passage. Very much of the cruise the side -- port or starboard -- of your cabin won't matter. 

I think why people prefer southbound is the shorter flight home? 

ETA: I forgot to say: Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

Edited by crystalspin

I haven’t been on the NA yet but the only reason I would think it is preferred over the Noordam is because of Tamarind.  I would choose any ship with Tamarind over one without.  Even so, the Noordam is still a lovely ship.

I would consider your flight arrangements in making the north/south decision.  Perhaps the flights to/from Alaska, from Atlanta, are at undesirable times, although that might be alleviated by arriving/departing a couple of days earlier or later.

I really don’t think there is much difference between north and southbound cruises, if you’re only cruising.  If you’re considering a land tour, that would need to be taken into consideration too.  I recommend doing a land tour first and follow with the cruise, which would mean a southbound cruise.

We are opting southbound because our plan is to fly out a couple of days early to enjoy a bit more exploring prior to our cruise. We are booked on Nieuw Amsterdam in June. I don't think you can lose either way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LisaLeone said:

We are opting southbound because our plan is to fly out a couple of days early to enjoy a bit more exploring prior to our cruise. We are booked on Nieuw Amsterdam in June. I don't think you can lose either way!

You are correct - either direction is a winner. We L🧡VE Alaska!

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1