Is vibe worth the cost for cruise with no sea days?

cb2367

On 1/19/2024 at 9:04 AM, vacation44 said:

The majority of the people who post about the Vibe have a different opinion, mine included.     We first paid $99 back in 2016 and have been happily paying the increases since to us, and many others, the price is well worth it.   

That does not make my opinion any more or less valid than any other.  I am glad you ind the cost to be acceptable. Happy cruising to you.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:00 AM, bkrickles1 said:

It is not worth it to you but it is to many.

In fact, it's in such demand, that up until recently people would literally run to wherever the passes were sold and most were turned away as they were sold out within minutes.

Now, maybe because of the commotion, they sell the passes pre cruise and still sell out.

I've been on 4 NCL sailings since 2018 and Vibe was sold out on every one.

There's big demand it seems at every price point!!

Literally, WOW!

2 minutes ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

That does not make my opinion any more or less valid than any other.  I am glad you ind the cost to be acceptable. Happy cruising to you.

You are correct, your opinion is as valid as is everyone else's opinion.  However, your original comment came off more as a fact than an opinion which is why I commented.    

Happy cruising to you too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Literally, WOW!

I am about to experience Vibe for the first time in April and I paid 289pp times 3 people.

It's not a little amount of money and my wife is skeptical of the value, but I know that the 3 of us will love it from all the recs on here and what I've heard first hand from cruisers when I've sailed.

And yes, if you search for some older Vibe threads, you will read all about the mad dash people used to do just to get these passes, especially when there were only 100 available on some of the ships.

Unless I missed it, you haven't mentioned actually experiencing Vibe.

If you haven't, it's kind of bad form to knock it so adamantly.

If you have, and feel that way, your opinion is noted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure why I keep reading this topic since I personally have zero interest in Vibe. I just don't understand how it can be worth $30/day. To ME that is a lot of money for, well... nothing... BUT, and this is important, I'm sure I spend money on things that many (most?) people can't understand. Those things make ME happy. Therefore they are "allowed" to cost me whatever I pay. 

If Vibe makes you happy it's worth it!
(And in the discussion here I see many good points to consider to help making you decide.) 

6 hours ago, PATRLR said:

What you've described here seems perfect for Vibe.  Using my recent Viva experience:

• Bar and service open till 7PM
  • Hot tubs open till 10 PM
  • We loved going there after returning from port
  • Don't recall exact time Vibe opened in morning but we ate our breakfast in Vibe a couple mornings (because it located close to the ridiculously small buffet on the Viva).  

Thanks for that information and for sharing your experience.

1 hour ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Because it cost way more than it is worth even at the old price

But you don’t say why you feel it is not worth it unless I missed one of your posts.

You are entitled to feeling this way, but it would be helpful for others to know why you think Vibe is not worthwhile at either the old price or the new price.

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

I'm sure I spend money on things that many (most?) people can't understand. Those things make ME happy. Therefore they are "allowed" to cost me whatever I pay. 

'

as any salesperson will tell you, there is an enormous divide between cost and value. people don't buy a product or service, they buy how that product or service makes them feel or what it does for them. that's why, when people say "it's not worth it," what they really saying is that they personally don't see the value. different people can have different value perceptions about the same product. some people like the strip steak in the MDR; some people know it to be the shoe leather monstrosity that it is.

as for vibe opening hours and hot tub availability... based on my recent experience on the joy, i'd say the bar closes at 7 pm, but they let you stay in there for at least another hour or so, maybe two, while they shut down and make the space ready for the next day. i don't know that there is an official closing time; i'd be surprised if it was as late as 10 pm.  everything in the vibe is very much on a relationship basis... if you come to know the staff, it is likely they'll let you stay in there as long as you want, within reason. they may even bring you water or soda or whatever even though the bar is officially closed. the real question is whether the gate or sliding doors get turned off and no longer work after a certain hour.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We have also experienced the hot tubs remaining open after the bar closes on multiple ships.   However, I am not sure until what time.  

In November I noticed the hot tubs in Vibe open past 7 PM. Oftentimes when I was on the Haven sundeck, I'd peek over the wall to see what was going on in Vibe. Not in a weird sort of way, I swear! I did see people in the hot tubs up until about 8 or 9 PM. Not sure if the tubs were open later or not, but tis what I saw looking in. Pr1ma, btw

*gosh I sound like a peeper now*

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Is your real-life name Tom?

Middle initial is A too...haha, no Tom is far from my name. 

8 minutes ago, UKstages said:

whaddaya mean, now?

Whaaaaaa???? You had already figured it out? 😱

My experience is generally the same as the others. In the Vibe’s I have visited the bar closing time is fluid, but usually around 6/7pm. The Vibe bartenders will frequently be encountered at other venues (theatre is common location) so I suspect that is a driving force in closing.  

After the bar closes, some staff remain to cleanup and prepare for tomorrow.  I have never been asked to leave, but usually an hour or so after the bar closes the place is empty and you get the vibe that the Vibe is closing.  They stack and tie down all the loungers and secure the umbrellas every night, so it’s kinda obvious things are winding down. At some point the access door will be switched off and entry will not be possible, but I’ve never tried to enter later at night so don’t know when that happens. I have tried to enter early morning to sit outside and enjoy my coffee only to find it locked so it definitely is locked at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only glanced through this thread, but will add my 2 cents (which I have not seen-but might have  missed)-

We are frugal cruisers and are booked on our first NCL (the Viva) in about 15 years on an "inside". We in the past have  varied our cabins and justified a balcony or an aft balcony (as  high as we have booked) but start as "insiders" and look to upgrade later if it appeals to us, and if there is opportunity.

With our upcoming cruise next week (Viva) we  cannot upgrade or get into the Vibe due to the occupancy. I was saying today to the hubby, knowing what I know now, I would have just booked an inside (closer to Vibe area) and book Vibe, thinking the cost is comparable (actually quite a bit less potentially) than booking a balcony.For us, the Vive would be a more worthwhile "add-on" experience than having a balcony.

Either way, I cannot test my theory unless my lowball bid on a balcony gets accepted or we splurge a bit more for a Cabana in the Vibe which is still available (and costs about the same a recommended upgrade bid for a balcony).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

With our upcoming cruise next week (Viva) we  cannot upgrade or get into the Vibe due to the occupancy.

since you may have only glanced at or skipped over some of the vibe threads, i will tell you that many of us have had success purchasing the vibe on embarkation day. board as early as possible and head to wherever they are doing restaurant reservations... usually, there is an additional table set up just outside that location at which they sell vibe passes. i've been told by the reps who do this that they have passes available at the start of every cruise.

the availability of vibe passes may vary, however, depending upon the ship's occupancy and the weather and how port-intensive the cruise is and a variety of other factors, including whether or not they oversold the vibe due to a computer glitch, as some found on a recent cruise. but, generally speaking, some vibe passes are available on every cruise on embarkation day.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Either way, I cannot test my theory unless my lowball bid on a balcony gets accepted or we splurge a bit more for a Cabana in the Vibe which is still available (and costs about the same a recommended upgrade bid for a balcony).

I find your perspective very interesting, and I like the way you’re thinking.  We always book a balcony (since I believe I am claustrophobic), but rarely really use it for any amount of time.  Personally, having sailed Prima, I would take s Vibe Cabana in a heartbeat.  Hurry…get that cabana booked before it’s gone.  Drop your bid for balcony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I find your perspective very interesting, and I like the way you’re thinking.  We always book a balcony (since I believe I am claustrophobic), but rarely really use it for any amount of time.  Personally, having sailed Prima, I would take s Vibe Cabana in a heartbeat.  Hurry…get that cabana booked before it’s gone.  Drop your bid for balcony.

Thanks for the support- we're "verrry" close to doing that ....

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Prima vibe does not have cabanas,

53 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Prima vibe does not have cabanas,

I didn’t say that Prima had cabanas.  I was saying after sailing Prima, I would definitely do a cabana on Viva if offered.

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

or we splurge a bit more for a Cabana in the Vibe which is still available (and costs about the same a recommended upgrade bid for a balcony).

I obviously haven't looked at your specific cruise but others I looked at, the cabana cost about $100 more than the 2 passes that are included.  In my opinion, the extra $100 wouldn't keep me out of the Vibe.  

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

some people like the strip steak in the MDR; some people know it to be the shoe leather monstrosity that it is.

Why do you feel the need to insult shoe leather like that? 😉

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

i don't know that there is an official closing time; i'd be surprised if it was as late as 10 pm.  

As the guy who threw that 10PM number out there, I acknowledge it probably isn't 10PM.  But, I thought for sure I'd seen 10PM listed somewhere, but I can't find it on any of the paperwork I kept.  The only place it might have been is the Vibe "welcome letter" which I didn't keep.  

12 hours ago, vacation44 said:

You are correct, your opinion is as valid as is everyone else's opinion.  However, your original comment came off more as a fact than an opinion which is why I commented.    

Happy cruising to you too.

I cannot control what others read into my posts that is not there un any way, shap, ot form.  That is on others, not on me!