Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Would like to say more but this is as far as I will get with this one as the report says the ship was repaired "on the scene", the damage has been assessed and the newspaper reports basically otherwise repeat themselves.

Pfelling gauge has dropped to 306cm.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The thunderstorms are mainly not coming down in the Danube valley but closer to the Alps and the Isar river catchment area. Isolated showers are happening elsewhere. Pfelling gauge is stable.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Pfelling gauge stable. More rain has gone to the Rhine basin than the Danube basin upstream from Regensburg. River level expected to fall a little but could be backed up by just enough volume of water.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Pfelling gauge stable. 310cm.

Thunderstorms over the Danube, Lech and Isar. A good mix (although the Isar does not help Pfelling gauge of course). Screenshot of radar image slightly cropped:

image.png.817abd1de3a5b7d4a33aac9949b7c462.png

notamermaid

• Like 1

Pfelling is doing okay at 311cm. The rain has made the river levels rise further upstream. This may translate into added centimetres at Pfelling but with a few rivers joining that not all got good amounts of rain and locks along the way we cannot say what will happen exactly.

notamermaid

• Like 1

With the river in Germany looking pleasant, let us have a change of topic this weekend. I have recently come across an article in a German magazine. This magazine covers Bavaria and Austria and focuses on "the traditional", you could say what is old crafts, traditional values, the world away from modern crowding cities. The recipes with seasonal fruit and vegetables are a delight to read and something I wish you can experience occasionally on a river cruise along the Danube. So, the old crafts is what caught my eye, that article was really interesting and I will share the topic with you as you can get a glimpse of it on a river cruise. This is bead knitting, I think that is the word, something that a lady in Regensburg has "rediscovered" for herself. The technique evolved in the 19th century and was used for example for small handbags. The old items can be found in museums and are collected by private individuals of course. This lady in Regensburg learnt the trade for herself and has decided to showcase a small collection. So if you are interested, read this English article from bavaria travel: https://bavaria.travel/insiders/claudia-fluegel-eber-bead-embroidery/

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Read too quickly and thought you said "bread knitting."  Couldn't wrap my head around that...  Glad that the article set me straight!

I like a platted loaf.

That is awesome I’ve used beads in crochet, knitting and various methods of embroidery and using a beading frame but that looks really super fiddly. Well done her and after very short consideration have decided not to give it a try. I will however continue experimenting with the knitting of bread! That’s surly the way to go!

Edited by Canal archive

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Read too quickly and thought you said "bread knitting."  Couldn't wrap my head around that...  Glad that the article set me straight!

The trusted Dr. Oetker company gives lessons on that online. 😁 Seriously, try the three string first. Then when you have mastered that, try the four string and then for the real pros there is the five string dough version of the "Zopf": https://www.oetker.de/inspiration/tipps-tricks/t/hefezopf-flechten-so-einfach-geht-es

You can look up videos on youtube as well, probably in English also.

notamermaid

• Like 1

There has been more rain over Bavaria than expected so the river has risen substantially. Pfelling gauge is now at 404cm and forecast to rise. Which brings Passau gauge to - wait for it - probably to 600cm and more. It is now at 553cm. This is all still within a pleasant range. Unless this wave causes a short problem (let us say a few hours delay to explain the word short here) at the two bridges it should be all good. Delays at the bridges at this point are something that will only be announced at short notice. The forecast for the river levels changes every few hours.

notamermaid

• Like 2

@notamermaid Well there's some excellent news for Danube travelers!  I'm wondering...is there some sort of crucial low water point similar to Pfelling on the lower Danube between Budapest and Bucharest (docking location Oltenita) for those cruising that portion of the river?  Is there a link where I might be able to monitor lower Danube water levels leading up to our river cruise there aboard the Avalon Passion this October?  Thank you!

1 hour ago, moonriver54 said:

is there some sort of crucial low water point similar to Pfelling on the lower Danube between Budapest and Bucharest (docking location Oltenita) for those cruising that portion of the river?

I do not know one particular spot and I am completely unfamiliar with the Budapest to Bucharest sections and the Lower Danube. According to general info on the river there are places prone to low water where the river tends to shift sandy ground (makes sense). The sections that are influenced by the dams/locks are fine.

I will get back to this and your second question when I am back at my computer (where I have some links stored).

Meanwhile - I think I have not linked these for a while - here are maps of the Danube for download: https://www.viadonau.org/en/newsroom/publications/waterway-maps

notamermaid

On 8/19/2024 at 12:34 PM, moonriver54 said:

is there some sort of crucial low water point similar to Pfelling on the lower Danube between Budapest and Bucharest (docking location Oltenita) for those cruising that portion of the river?

Could not find out anything specific in addition to what I said previously. Captains will of course know bottlenecks and shallows from their detailed navigation maps.

On 8/19/2024 at 12:34 PM, moonriver54 said:

Is there a link where I might be able to monitor lower Danube water levels leading up to our river cruise there aboard the Avalon Passion this October?

@Izengolf  has kindly provided this in post #157:

https://www.afdj.ro/en/content/danube-water-level

Here is another website: https://www.danubeportal.com/en/waterLevel

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pfelling gauge looks to have peaked at 489cm and at Passau the forecast was wrong by quite a few centimetres. The level there did not quite reach 600cm. The water still coming from Pfelling and further upstream should not be a problem and if the forecast is correct this time should not create a second peak. Looking really good I would say for the rest of August.

notamermaid

• Like 3

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Could not find out anything specific in addition to what I said previously. Captains will of course know bottlenecks and shallows from their detailed navigation maps.

@Izengolf  has kindly provided this in post #157:

https://www.afdj.ro/en/content/danube-water-level

Here is another website: https://www.danubeportal.com/en/waterLevel

notamermaid

Thank you so much!  Now I can at least monitor the water levels to get a feel for the lower Danube.  This is greatly appreciated!

23 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

Thank you so much!  Now I can at least monitor the water levels to get a feel for the lower Danube.  This is greatly appreciated!

My pleasure, I am glad that it is helpful.

Bucharest is a long way from Pfelling and Germany. The river is different in its nature in Romania. Which port will you use for Bucharest?

A bit of statistics for fun. The Danube has two source rivers, those are the Breg and the Brigach. From where they meet the Danube is 2783.4km long. Of that the Danube is navigable for 2414km from Kelheim to Sulina.

The Danube Commission has a really good page on the Danube basics (where the info above is from) that unfortunately appears not to be available in English.

notamermaid

• Like 1