Naples to Capri DIY - is this itinerary doable?

benel204

Hello,

I've combed through the forum and gleaned some information, and now have questions for those who have done or are planning to go to Capri from Naples port.

Our ship in port from 6 AM to 6PM in May. We will leave the ship about 7:30 AM

We want to include some scenic walking (downhill) AND efficient transportation when it makes sense.

This is our tentative plan for a leisurely, unhurried day.

• Take the ~8:25 or 8:35 Ferry to Capri.  =>For a visit May 10, should we buy our ferry tickets in advance?
  • At Capri Marina get a taxi to Anacapri.  (No chairlift when we get to Anacapri--fear of heights for one person).
  • Walk to Villa San Michele -  ?distance? 
  • Then walk or bus from Anacapri to Capri Town, see the Piazzetta plus the Augustus Garden (and maybe the Charterhouse if it's close by)
  • Take the Funicular or walk back to Capri Marina
  • ~3:30 PM ferry back to Naples port

Is this a leisurely day? 

Are the paths and stairs from Anacapri to Capri well marked?

And the path from Capri down to the Marina?

Thanks in advance to those who know Capri.

Edited by benel204

It´s about 10 min walking (leisurely) from Anacapri center to Villa San Michele. When you walk on you automatically get to the Scala Fenicia (the Phoenician stairs). But those are leading down to Capri Marina Grande not to Capri town. I don´t know of a walkway between Anacapri and Capri town.

All walkways are nicely marked. So you hardly can miss them.

Sounds like a leisure day (if you take the bus between Anacapri and Capri). Walking the Phoenician stairs is not recommended to anyone having problems with their knees. And I recommend good shoes (no flip flops!).

The Via Krupp from Augustus gardens down to Marina Piccola has reopened. Something I never did so far as it was always closed.

When you walk to Augustus gardens you pass by the Certosa San Giacomo (Charterhouse).

steamboats

I get that you're looking for leisure, but it's a shame to wait and leave when masses of tourists are heading to Capri if you have the opportunity to get ahead of them.  If you take a 7 AM ferry you'll be ahead of the crowd but you won't need to race off the ship to make it, as the ferry port is adjacent to the cruise port.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steamboats said:

It´s about 10 min walking (leisurely) from Anacapri center to Villa San Michele. When you walk on you automatically get to the Scala Fenicia (the Phoenician stairs). But those are leading down to Capri Marina Grande not to Capri town. I don´t know of a walkway between Anacapri and Capri town.

All walkways are nicely marked. So you hardly can miss them.

Sounds like a leisure day (if you take the bus between Anacapri and Capri). Walking the Phoenician stairs is not recommended to anyone having problems with their knees. And I recommend good shoes (no flip flops!).

The Via Krupp from Augustus gardens down to Marina Piccola has reopened. Something I never did so far as it was always closed.

When you walk to Augustus gardens you pass by the Certosa San Giacomo (Charterhouse).

steamboats

Thanks for the input; and good to know that San Giacomo is near Augustus gardens.

5 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I get that you're looking for leisure, but it's a shame to wait and leave when masses of tourists are heading to Capri if you have the opportunity to get ahead of them.  If you take a 7 AM ferry you'll be ahead of the crowd but you won't need to race off the ship to make it, as the ferry port is adjacent to the cruise port.

Thanks for the tip about the early ferry.  My only hesitancy about 7 am ferry is that we are not early risers. And with a port intensive cruise, we have to decide which days will be the "easier" ones, just in terms of go go go all day. Avoiding crowds will be a motivator though!😁

4 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I agree with euro cruiser.  Try for that earlier ferry.  You'll appreciate that extra 90 minutes of fewer crowds on Capri.

Will we be able to purchase ferry ticket right there, or better to purchase in advance?  How about on the return, better to purchase in advance?

You can purchase your outbound tickets on the day of, especially if you go for the 7 AM ferry, but be sure to get your return tickets either in the morning, or as soon as you arrive on the island.  You don't have to purchase the return from the same ferry company, pick a time that works and get it.

I know it would be nice to have flexibility about the return but cruise crowds all heading back at the same time due cause sell outs on the late afternoon returns.

If you go early, maybe consider returning early and just chilling on the ship for a few hours (or napping) to make up for the early departure.

• Like 2

Just now, euro cruiser said:

You don't have to purchase the return from the same ferry company, pick a time that works and get it.

Thanks for the tip euro cruiser. 

I don't understand your comment above, don't have to return from the same ferry company?  Are there more than one ferry companies?  I thought there was ONE ferry company operated by the local municipalities.

There are two companies that do the Naples-Capri route year-round (NLG and Snav), and possibly a third in the summer.  Each has their own ticket office at Molo Beverello, just steps away from each other.

You can see the winter schedules here:  2024 Capri ferry schedules: from Napoli to Capri - Book online

Do not book from the above source, they are excellent for information but add a significant fee for booking.  Just buy when you get there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Do not book from the above source, they are excellent for information but add a significant fee for booking.  Just buy when you get there.

Ah ok, that's why I see the two ports.  But either port/company would work, looks like.

I'm curious what the "booking fee" is from the link you sent.  I've visited the website and it's very informative.

Molo Beverello is the port for the fast ferries, it's adjacenet to the cruise port (across the parking lot).  Calata Porta di Massa is the port for the slower ferries (car carriers), it's about sixth-tenths of a mile on foot from the cruise port, so either one works.  Beverello is just more convenient and the boats are faster.

The booking fee is 12 euro (on a 25 euro ticket) or 14 euro (on a 50 euro round trip ticket).  That's outrageous, usury level in my book.   That's nearly half again the cost of a ticket one way!

If you can't relax and enjoy your trip unless you have the tickets in hand before you leave home, buy directly from the ferry operators.  It's easy to do, we can walk you through the process if you have questions.  If you're okay with waiting, I'd do that.  The tickets are non-refundable, so ask yourself if you would still go if it was pouring down rain on the day you are there.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

f you're okay with waiting, I'd do that.  The tickets are non-refundable, so ask yourself if you would still go if it was pouring down rain on the day you are there.

Good point about the weather.  If there would be no long lines at the ferry office to purchase tickets on the mid May morning we will be there, then we can wait to purchase at that time. 

I never had a problem getting a ticket at the ticket booth for the 8:35 am ferry. As the sea can be rough after a nightly storm or as you can have rain I wouldn´t buy the ticket in advance online (and not with that fee!)

If you have chosen the other ferry line for the return trip you can buy the ticket directly after you arrive at Marina Grande.

steamboats

As another long-time (over 50 years) independent traveler we also echo the issue raised by Euro Cruiser.  Going to Capri, on your own, is quite easy and doing it this way gives you the easy option of changing your mind if you happen to get a day with awful weather.  But, when you are doing this type of DIY, where you are heading some distance from the port, it is wise to get an early start.  Plenty of time to nod-off while you are on the fast boat to Capri :).  The early start simply gives you more options, as the day develops.  

We also agree with the other posts that it is wise to buy a return ticket, as soon as you arrive on Capri (the ticket office is at the end of the pier).  Also keep in mind that the ferry tickets are NOT interchangable between the various companies running ferries.  We suggest choosing your return ferry at the best time (not based on picking one particular company) and always allow extra time (we suggest at least an hour) in case the ferry is running a little late.  Also make certain that you buy a return ticket to Molo Beverello as there is another ferry port in Naples that is some distance from the port.  

Hank

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As another long-time (over 50 years) independent traveler we also echo the issue raised by Euro Cruiser.  Going to Capri, on your own, is quite easy and doing it this way gives you the easy option of changing your mind if you happen to get a day with awful weather.  But, when you are doing this type of DIY, where you are heading some distance from the port, it is wise to get an early start.  Plenty of time to nod-off while you are on the fast boat to Capri :).  The early start simply gives you more options, as the day develops.  

We also agree with the other posts that it is wise to buy a return ticket, as soon as you arrive on Capri (the ticket office is at the end of the pier).  Also keep in mind that the ferry tickets are NOT interchangable between the various companies running ferries.  We suggest choosing your return ferry at the best time (not based on picking one particular company) and always allow extra time (we suggest at least an hour) in case the ferry is running a little late.  Also make certain that you buy a return ticket to Molo Beverello as there is another ferry port in Naples that is some distance from the port.  

Hank

Than you, Hank.

Based on all the great advise from everyone, we are planning to get off the ship as early as feasible, get the ticket there (and return ticket at the same time), assume it will be Molo Beverello both ways (the ferry closest to the ship).

We will aim for the 7 am ferry from Naples; and we'll plan on ~3 PM return ferry from Capri to be safe. Is that too late a return, given the ship leaves at 6 PM? I don't want to stress the return.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:41 PM, benel204 said:

Than you, Hank.

Based on all the great advise from everyone, we are planning to get off the ship as early as feasible, get the ticket there (and return ticket at the same time), assume it will be Molo Beverello both ways (the ferry closest to the ship).

We will aim for the 7 am ferry from Naples; and we'll plan on ~3 PM return ferry from Capri to be safe. Is that too late a return, given the ship leaves at 6 PM? I don't want to stress the return.

Great timing if you  can get up in time.  When we have wanted an early start we have always skipped breakfast - usually the one dressed first (guess that is always me) nips toThe buffet for a coffee  and have had a yogurt or something in the room from the previous day.  Then we do not waste time queuing.  Between a breakfast andan early start I would choose the latter. 

• Like 1

Don't feel too pressured about the early ferry. As a non-morning person, it is tough for me to be functional in the morning and having to do so on vacation sucks the joy out of my day. 🤣 Also, breakfast is what wakes me up. Without it, I'm likely to do something stupid like forget my wallet or put on two different shoes. 😉

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Don't feel too pressured about the early ferry. As a non-morning person, it is tough for me to be functional in the morning and having to do so on vacation sucks the joy out of my day. 🤣 Also, breakfast is what wakes me up. Without it, I'm likely to do something stupid like forget my wallet or put on two different shoes. 😉

Thanks -- I appreciate that perspective!  If I have to get up too early, I tend to strategy about "will I be able to sleep on the bus/ferry".... And going to bed earlier never works.  I'm night owl, plain and simple.

5 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Great timing if you  can get up in time.  When we have wanted an early start we have always skipped breakfast - usually the one dressed first (guess that is always me) nips toThe buffet for a coffee  and have had a yogurt or something in the room from the previous day.  Then we do not waste time queuing.  Between a breakfast andan early start I would choose the latter. 

Just get breakfast delivered to the room that day.. jeepers 🙂 . 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Just get breakfast delivered to the room that day.. jeepers 🙂 . 

It is true.  

Our ‘quick exit breakfast’ plan was first devised when we had a kettle in the stateroom (AOS) years ago.   I suppose I never thought to change something that worked so well for us.  In reality just a cup of coffee split between two though.  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2