Has anyone used a beverage card on HAL recently that they bought? Is the unused balance still refundable?

kazu

My friend and I are sailing in April and the total cost of HIA for the 2 of us doesn’t make sense.  We were going to use the wine packages and a beverage card.  

Last year there was a thread where a person was not refunded the unused balance of their beverage card on the N Statendam.  Others said they were refunded.  My DD DH and I always were refunded but that was pre-covid.  I’ve used HIA since then.

Has anyone used one lately (I know most people take HIA 😉) and if you had an unused balance was it refunded to your on board account?

I would prefer not to complicate our on board account with beverage purchases but if it’s non refundable I will reconsider. Thanks so much 🙂 

5 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

Why not just buy refundable OBC? There isn’t a savings with the card is there?

I just wanted to avoid the kerfluffle of sorting out beverages on the on board statement.  I am cruising eith a friend.  I buy OBC but I like avoiding the beverage charges and the sorting things out.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

But won't you and your friend have separate statements/accounts even if in the same room?  If so, you'll still have the clutter on the statement but there should be nothing to split out to your friend.

Not sure.  We may just use my card and settle up later.

She hasn’t been able to travel for many years due to her DH’s blood work and chemo.   Sadly, he has passed away.   I pay double anyways so have offered her to come along.  I doubt she even has a log on with HAl as it has been so long.

Whenever I didn’t use HIA I always used a beverage card.  The clutter is not just a drink - sometimes iit’s not even the right location on the bill.  I just prefer to KISS.

It’s just something I prefer to do and was hoping I would get an answer.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the beverage card for alcohol. However, once upon a time (not sure if it is still the case) we could pre-purchase a soft drink card for $25 that was good for $50 worth of soda. I believe that only the initial $25 would be refunded if a balance was left on the card at the end of the cruise.

1 minute ago, daisy-mae said:

I'm not familiar with the beverage card for alcohol. However, once upon a time (not sure if it is still the case) we could pre-purchase a soft drink card for $25 that was good for $50 worth of soda. I believe that only the initial $25 would be refunded if a balance was left on the card at the end of the cruise.

That is totally correct as they are at a discount.

good to hear that you got the balance refunded.  Thank you 

There are no terms and conditions on the HAL site and my call to ships’ services took me to the Philippines which I take with a grain of salt 😉 

I appreciate the help instead of telling me alternate routes.  I am well aware of them all. 😘 

1 hour ago, kazu said:

There are no terms and conditions on the HAL site and my call to ships’ services took me to the Philippines which I take with a grain of salt 😉 

This is interesting. I've looked at the four Beverage Cards on the HAL website. The page for each card has DETAILS (which don't tell you much 😂) and under that, a link for a pop-up window - BEVERAGE PACKAGE FAQs - stating in part: "Below are the Terms and Conditions, not sure we need to add this, but may be helpful to add some of these notes?" (I can't figure out if that's that a statement or a question 🤣) and "Packages are non-transferable and non-refundable. No sharing is permitted."

Now the question becomes -

Is a Card a Package?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mudscraper said:

We always use beverage cards.  On our last cruise this past November the unused $$$ on our cards were refunded to our final statement.

Thank you very much. 🙂 

10 hours ago, Bill B said:

This is interesting. I've looked at the four Beverage Cards on the HAL website. The page for each card has DETAILS (which don't tell you much 😂) and under that, a link for a pop-up window - BEVERAGE PACKAGE FAQs - stating in part: "Below are the Terms and Conditions, not sure we need to add this, but may be helpful to add some of these notes?" (I can't figure out if that's that a statement or a question 🤣) and "Packages are non-transferable and non-refundable. No sharing is permitted."

Now the question becomes -

Is a Card a Package?  

LOL - I saw the same thing.  it is a card 🙂 😉 

6 hours ago, mudscraper said:

We always use beverage cards.  On our last cruise this past November the unused $$$ on our cards were refunded to our final statement.

Was there a final credit on your statement that was then refunded back to your  credit card?

I am wondering if a credit balance can be applied to your account, but not refunded (so essentially non-refundable OBC)

No  first hand  experience, but we were on the  Zandaam last June and met a lady who had purchased a beverage card and was told  on board it was non-refundable. She was quite surprised by that (as were we)

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

No  first hand  experience, but we were on the  Zandaam last June and met a lady who had purchased a beverage card and was told  on board it was non-refundable. She was quite surprised by that (as were we)

i remembered your post regarding this and it is one of the reasons I asked the question.  they were always refundable in the past.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@kazu if you do buy a drink card, will you update us w/the outcome?

Absolutely.  And I probably will buy it.  I’ll fight like H**L if there’s a balance and I don’t get it back.  😉 😂