Live: Experienced cruisers try Celebrity 14 day cruise to Antartica on the Eclipse

jimbo5544

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

This monument was erected to the thousands of souls who lost their lives going thru the passage. 

IMG_8590.jpeg

This is the poem at the Albatross monument at Cape Horn

I am the albatross that awaits you

At the end of the world.

I am the forgotten souls of dead mariners

Who passed Cape Horn

From all oceans of the world.

But they did not die

In the furious waves.

Today they sail on my wings

Toward eternity,

In the last crack

Of the Antarctic winds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beachlover1989 said:

At the end of the world.

Who passed Cape Horn

But they did not die

In the furious waves.

Toward eternity,

In the last crack

Of the Antarctic winds.

Thanks

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, psternklar said:

I agree!!  Thank you so much for posting, it is on our bucket list.

Glad to help!   Every day great far.  Not so much looking forward tonight (Drakes Passage) but very much to tomorrow and the rest of the trip.  

We decided we wanted to do something totally different.  This trip fit the bill.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

At the end of the world.

Who passed Cape Horn

But they did not die

In the furious waves.

Toward eternity,

In the last crack

Of the Antarctic winds.

wow... very moving!

Your pic from the excursion in Ushuaia were great.  I am doing Tierra Del Fuego but am considering adding on the Beagle Channel Catamaran Tour.  Did you definitely see things on that excursion that you couldn’t see from the ship as it approached Ushuaia?  

1 minute ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Your pic from the excursion in Ushuaia were great.  I am doing Tierra Del Fuego but am considering adding on the Beagle Channel Catamaran Tour.  Did you definitely see things on that excursion that you couldn’t see from the ship as it approached Ushuaia?  

Tough question.  My first reply would be that while you might see these, not sure you would see AS much or as in depth.  

• Like 1

In one off situations (meaning I would probably not do this again), I err on the side of spend more to ensure I def see what I want.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am pretty everyone knows, but the monument is two pieces and the whole between them is the shape of the Albatross    

Hi. I will be embarking the day you disembark, so I have been following along.

I have a question re: photos you took at 06:15 AM.  

We are not early risers on cruises, so just wondering if we should plan on a very early day 🙂    If we sleep in, will we miss the lighthouse and albatross monument in all their glory?  I suspect so, but just wondering. 

Edited by SFCAcruiser
typo

6 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

In one off situations (meaning I would probably not do this again), I err on the side of spend more to ensure I def see what I want.  

So if you didn't see what ya saw, you would have chosen different?  Is that what you are saying.  Like going whale watching in Hawaii and not seeing any breaches....

Thank you for the terrific review, which I am following with great interest.  I am traveling in Argentina in April, including Ushuaia and then boarding the Eclipse in Buenos Aires and sailing to New York. Am really looking forward to it!

Antarctica is definitely on my bucket list.  

Thanks again, and have a great cruise.

13 hours ago, SFCAcruiser said:

Hi. I will be embarking the day you disembark, so I have been following along.

I have a question re: photos you took at 06:15 AM.  

We are not early risers on cruises, so just wondering if we should plan on a very early day 🙂    If we sleep in, will we miss the lighthouse and albatross monument in all their glory?  I suspect so, but just wondering. 

That day it was right at 6am.  They did not broadcast into roomd but everywhere else

8 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

So if you didn't see what ya saw, you would have chosen different?  Is that what you are saying.  Like going whale watching in Hawaii and not seeing any breaches....

Pretty much yes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruiseDad-NYC said:

Thank you for the terrific review, which I am following with great interest.  I am traveling in Argentina in April, including Ushuaia and then boarding the Eclipse in Buenos Aires and sailing to New York. Am really looking forward to it!

Antarctica is definitely on my bucket list.  

Thanks again, and have a great cruise.

Thanks for coming along.  

Fairly good size rollers last night.  Did not keep us up.  Day dawned very foggy, and about 39 degrees.  We were still heading SSE at 20 knots.   According to the itinerary, we were supposed to be in Schollart Channel Antartica from 11 to 1 and then Paradise Bay Antartica from 2:30 to 4.

The captain came on at around 9:30 and said that the fog was causing issues, but we were in contact with other ships and the Naval Station at Paradise Bay and proceeding slowly.  Thought our luck was running out.  Then the fog began to lift.  

12 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Correct.   I would suggest doing it.