Grandeur Reviews

19 minutes ago, bitob said:

The cabin soundproofing issue is also a problem on Oceania’s new build. Same parent  company. Same shipyard. This can only be corrected at dry dock 

i was on the grandeur for 3 cruises starting Nov 24. 3 different suites. No soundproofing issues. 

btw. I thought grandeur was fabulous. I booked 4 more cruises booked on her

Were the 3 different suites on different levels of ship, different as to fore and aft, etc?  Wondering if mistakes were made in just certain sections. 

3 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Were the 3 different suites on different levels of ship, different as to fore and aft, etc?  Wondering if mistakes were made in just certain sections. 

Two different grandeur suites and one grand suite. All midship. Decks 9 and 10. Might be size of suite but I know many many passengers had the issue 

Just now, bitob said:

Two different grandeur suites and one grand suite. All midship. Decks 9 and 10. Might be size of suite but I know many many passengers had the issue 

Guess I’ll have to save for a grandeur suite 😀.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Snh lname said:

We were also on that cruise and had similar comments. The chair hog issue was annoying both around the pool shaded areas and in the non-assigned seat dining (pool and veranda). Jorge (George) in the Compass Rose was a dream. For the second consecutive Christmas New Year cruise we had our “son” Nino as our waiter. We also had MANY wonderful personnel in the dining venues. 

Our Penthouse on deck 6 was comfortable and quiet. Rajib, our butler, could not have been more helpful. 

Cannot really comment on food because we had Kosher proteins. Everything was custom cooked and delicious. When we didn’t have the Kosher, we had fish or veggie. No complaints about anything. 

We are appreciative of RSSC and look forward to our 3 currently booked cruises. 

I have a question for you regarding the Penthouse on deck 6.  I do not see a dressing table in the cabin other than the nightstand shows a small mirror and a chair next to the bed?  Did you have a place to use blow dryer with a regular size mirror?

12 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

I think trying to choose a cabin based on whether there'll be some sound bleeding or not is a fool's errand. 

Well, I’m a VERY light sleeper so it’s important to me.  I’ve never heard the tv from other suites on the other ships so I’ll stick to them if I can’t get a suite on grandeur that I know will not need soundproofing.  My choice. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Well, I’m a VERY light sleeper so it’s important to me.  I’ve never heard the tv from other suites on the other ships so I’ll stick to them if I can’t get a suite on grandeur that I know will not need soundproofing.  My choice. 

That's probably a good idea, if that's a huge concern. It's a big gamble. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bitob said:

The cabin soundproofing issue is also a problem on Oceania’s new build. Same parent  company. Same shipyard. This can only be corrected at dry dock 

Interesting that the soundproofing issue occurs on new builds from both Regent and Oceania. I wonder if, due to its heavy debt load, NCLH opted to save money during construction by reducing the amount of soundproofing between suites in categories below the named suite categories. I guess I’ll find out in a few months when I sail on Grandeur in an F2 suite.

Dave

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

Interesting that the soundproofing issue occurs on new builds from both Regent and Oceania. I wonder if, due to its heavy debt load, NCLH opted to save money during construction by reducing the amount of soundproofing between suites in categories below the named suite categories. I guess I’ll find out in a few months when I sail on Grandeur in an F2 suite.

Dave

I sailed in an F1, and didn't hear a thing from either side. Mid-ship, deck 9.

• Like 2

Regarding sound problems, we are also on Grandeur (743) and it hasn’t been a problem. You can hear some occasional mumbling but only rarely. We may have quiet neighbors. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Obviously, what you hear or don't hear from adjoining cabins depends on what the occupants are doing or not doing.

That's what's so nebulous about this whole subject matter. Some people can't hear and keep their TVs loud, or talk loud. It's luck of the draw. The plural of anecdote is not data. 

• Like 1

I would also see if same marine architect was used for both ships. They are the ones that design without insulation. The ship yard just builds, but they could have poor quality control. Many of the new ships are having major complaints about noise, rattles, etc. they are having to remove ceiling panels and redo entire connection to ship infrastructure . think it’s all related to the containerized design of modern ships.

Our major criticism of the cruise was the Panama Canal crossing. This was not our first crossing. On Holland America we had previews, lectures and in room videos about the Canal, the building of the Canal, etc. We also had an “expert” to ask questions about the Canal. 

On this cruise nothing. Then we had a heavily accented “guide” narrating from the bridge. After the crossing there was a session with the “guide” in a lounge with minimal room. 

This was totally unacceptable. When I spoke with the CD about all my concerns, he said it was too late when they tried to get someone. When I asked about YouTube videos, I got some ***** and bull about licensing and “corporate.”

Unacceptable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snh lname said:

Our major criticism of the cruise was the Panama Canal crossing. This was not our first crossing. On Holland America we had previews, lectures and in room videos about the Canal, the building of the Canal, etc. We also had an “expert” to ask questions about the Canal. 

On this cruise nothing. Then we had a heavily accented “guide” narrating from the bridge. After the crossing there was a session with the “guide” in a lounge with minimal room. 

This was totally unacceptable. When I spoke with the CD about all my concerns, he said it was too late when they tried to get someone. When I asked about YouTube videos, I got some ***** and bull about licensing and “corporate.”

Unacceptable. 

I agree this is unacceptable, and I rarely find things unacceptable. This was a Panama Canal voyage, sold as such as a highlight, on a line known for its good quality "enrichment" sessions. To be told it was "too late" to get someone was a dismissive answer. I loved everything about the ship and the service during our recent sailing in December, but the lack of a Panama Canal program would be really disappointing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snh lname said:

@marycruz My wife tells me the night table between the bed and the veranda has the mirror and har dryer outlet. I don’t like using a hair dryer, so I didn’t know. 

Thanks.   In some of the suite pictures I saw in their website there was a small mirror like a handheld one on the night table and some other pictures had no mirror.