Grandeur Reviews

58 minutes ago, Snh lname said:

@papaflamingo My comments agree with yours 100%. 

Our cruise had substandard Panama Canal enrichment. That seems to have been corrected by your cruise. My major criticism. 

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. 

The "guide" was supplied by the Canal and I was surprised to find he was Panamanian since his English was better than mine. So probably "luck of the draw," whoever is working the day the ship transits. 

16 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Just as an anecdote, as GMAIC would say, I was in 949 and could not hear a thing.

Thx, @Camillus112, that is good to know.  I just wonder if the PH and above cabins have better insulation. I guess we'll find out soon enough...and I suppose I'll need to apologize to my upcoming neighbors in advance....!  😇

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

Thx, @Camillus112, that is good to know.  I just wonder if the PH and above cabins have better insulation. I guess we'll find out soon enough...and I suppose I'll need to apologize to my upcoming neighbors in advance....!  😇

I think all the named suites and categories A thru D have good insulation. I wonder if they board the lifeboats by class too.   :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Honestly, I think insulation is the same in all the suites and not as big a problem as everyone thinks.  We had friends on one side, the side that the tv was on, and their tv was on our wall.  We never heard them and they never heard us.  On the side we had our couch, as I said earlier, we heard our neighbors maybe 3 times in 16 days and never at night or during any sleep time.  Since I was sitting on our couch, I suspect one of them was sitting on their couch on the other side of our wall so we were literally inches apart, and that's when I heard them.  But I heard NO complaints by anyone on board and our friend heard nothing at all.  So really, don't "over think" this.  If you get a neighbor that is consistently loud, just let them know and ask if they can talk quieter.

38 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Honestly, I think insulation is the same in all the suites and not as big a problem as everyone thinks.  We had friends on one side, the side that the tv was on, and their tv was on our wall.  We never heard them and they never heard us.  On the side we had our couch, as I said earlier, we heard our neighbors maybe 3 times in 16 days and never at night or during any sleep time.  Since I was sitting on our couch, I suspect one of them was sitting on their couch on the other side of our wall so we were literally inches apart, and that's when I heard them.  But I heard NO complaints by anyone on board and our friend heard nothing at all.  So really, don't "over think" this.  If you get a neighbor that is consistently loud, just let them know and ask if they can talk quieter.

I don’t know…when this many people complain/report issue and it has never been an issue reported on Regent’s other ships, I listen. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Well, we were on the Dec 21 Canal cruise in a Superior F1.  Never knew if the folks on one side of us were in their cabin on not.  On the other side, we always knew when they were talking.  I don't know what to say about that other than YMMV.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I don’t know…when this many people complain/report issue and it has never been an issue reported on Regent’s other ships, I listen. 

Yep, I do too. I’ve been on all Regents ships more than once and I’ve never heard a peep from cabins next to us, nor heard anyone complaining about it. As I previously said I was just on Oceania’s new ship which has this same problem and I now learn that coincidentally they were built at the same place

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Our experience too.  What I was saying is that the insulation (or lack of) is the same for all suites on Grandeur.  I doubt they insulated some cabin levels more than others.  I do think it has to do with common walls.  Like others said, we only heard our neighbors from the "couch side" of the cabin not the "tv side."  And the "tv side" were friends of ours and they never heard us either.  So I think the actual problem, for us at least, was only when our neighbors were sitting on their couch, which shared a common wall with our couch, and talking across the room.  Otherwise it was very quiet. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, we were on the Dec 21 Canal cruise in a Superior F1.  Never knew if the folks on one side of us were in their cabin on not.  On the other side, we always knew when they were talking.  I don't know what to say about that other than YMMV.

Our experience too.  The side we heard was the couch side of the cabin where we shared a common wall with couches back to back.  On the tv side, we never heard a peep, and neither did our friends on that side from us.  Only time we heard anything was when our neighbor was, it seemed, sitting on his couch and talking to his wife across the room.  Otherwise it was quiet.  Oh yeah, I was also sitting on our couch when I heard him, so only about 6 inches away through the wall. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:01 AM, Snh lname said:

Our major criticism of the cruise was the Panama Canal crossing. This was not our first crossing. On Holland America we had previews, lectures and in room videos about the Canal, the building of the Canal, etc. We also had an “expert” to ask questions about the Canal. 

On this cruise nothing. Then we had a heavily accented “guide” narrating from the bridge. After the crossing there was a session with the “guide” in a lounge with minimal room. 

This was totally unacceptable. When I spoke with the CD about all my concerns, he said it was too late when they tried to get someone. When I asked about YouTube videos, I got some ***** and bull about licensing and “corporate.”

Unacceptable. 

We felt the same. Spoke to David and included in the survey.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:33 AM, Jlhalldc said:

Actually, we did have an extended lecture on “The Incredible Story of the Panama Canal” by Jeana Rogers on 1/18 at 2pm. Also, the former canal worker who was narrating our crossing had a presentation with Q&A while we crossed Lake Gatun. Sorry you missed it. But I agree we could easily have had several lectures on many aspects of the history and engineering and environment of the canal. 

There was no lecture on the earlier crossing Miami to LA. Perhaps a number of complaints fit them to bring a lecturer for the return trip.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 3:27 AM, Snh lname said:

@papaflamingo My comments agree with yours 100%. 

Our cruise had substandard Panama Canal enrichment. That seems to have been corrected by your cruise. My major criticism. 

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. 

Perhaps a number of complaints on our cruise made them focus PC enrichment for the return trip

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 12:08 AM, flossie009 said:

The problem of whistling balcony doors has been an issue on this new class of ship since Explorer was brought into service.

When we were on Splendor it appeared they had tried to alleviate the problem by fitting tighter door seals, but that just meant that the door was very difficult to open 🤨

Could the reported problem with lack of sound insulation between suites be in any way related to the difficulties the shipyard had in 2023 with sourcing properly certificated insulation panels? (FT report)

Has anyone checked the suite walls with a magnet to see if an insulated liner has been applied to the steel wall prior to decoration?

How would a magnet assist with knowing it? I have tried magnets and found the ordinary ones would not stay well, only super strong hook my DH had, I was not checking though, just tried some of magnets we bought and realised they would not stay, especially heavier ones 

We were in a Concierge suite on Deck 7 aft of the aft elevators. On one side we could occasionally hear the TV or conversation. On the other side they were apparently sick and we could very clearly hear them coughing. A lot. We never saw them but sure did hear them. 

Speaking of illness, this was our first cruise in a while where we never heard much coughing, other than our neighbors. Also the first time since before the pandemic that neither of us got sick onboard or during our first few days at home. (Knocking wood). 

• Like 2

We are presently on Grandeur, Deck 9 aft. Last night we were woken many times by a "phone alarm" from the suite next to ours. At 5am I realised it was actually the wine glasses in the cupboard intermittently clinking together due to the current choppy conditions! 😅

Our suite seems to be well soundproofed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisevirgin24 said:

We are presently on Grandeur, Deck 9 aft. Last night we were woken many times by a "phone alarm" from the suite next to ours. At 5am I realised it was actually the wine glasses in the cupboard intermittently clinking together due to the current choppy conditions! 😅

Our suite seems to be well soundproofed. 

Interesting!  We were in 960 but our phone situation WAS definitely the phone ringing next door. Glad you had a "false alarm!"

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:55 PM, rcandkc said:

We are on floor 6 in a category G2 and we hear everything from both rooms - much more from the bed wall, where those neighbors like to talk starting at 6am.  It doesn’t appear they are talking loud, just normal conversation (that I wish they’d wait a little later for).  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 11:22 PM, cruiseluv said:

Yep, I do too. I’ve been on all Regents ships more than once and I’ve never heard a peep from cabins next to us, nor heard anyone complaining about it. As I previously said I was just on Oceania’s new ship which has this same problem and I now learn that coincidentally they were built at the same place

Have completed two cruises on the new Oceania Vista. Noise problems from TV and talking on both cruises. Have identified a few cabins far forward on the ship where our TV side of room does not face another TV, so no TVs would be up against our room wall. Instead we would be against crew cabin hallway. They are the only cabins I would find acceptable if I were to cruise on that ship again. Am on Splendor in a few weeks and hope I do not have same noise problem.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, edgee said:

Have completed two cruises on the new Oceania Vista. Noise problems from TV and talking on both cruises. Have identified a few cabins far forward on the ship where our TV side of room does not face another TV, so no TVs would be up against our room wall. Instead we would be against crew cabin hallway. They are the only cabins I would find acceptable if I were to cruise on that ship again. Am on Splendor in a few weeks and hope I do not have same noise problem.

I’ve been on Splendor two times and never experienced that, or heard of anyone that did. On Vista it was quite bad

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I think the problem is on Grandeur, not Splenor. 

• Thanks 1