Grandeur of the Seas Be Wary 12/17-12/27

It's amazing how people can have total opposite experiences on the same ship. We sailed on Grandeur a couple of weeks ago and had a fantastic cruise. We thought the ship was in good shape and the crew was fantastic.. Granted, she is an older ship and she is worn but, I think it adds character. We did not see or notice some of the things that the OP showed in their pictures. I guess we were having too much fun to notice all of that.

I'll sail on her anytime.  

I'm sorry that you had a bad cruise.

Edited by TexCruise371
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, TexCruise371 said:

I guess we were having too much fun to notice all of that.

I think this is a big key.

If someone goes in thinking "this is an older ship, it's going to have so many issues" they are going to be looking for those and that's all they're going to see. On a board for another cruiseline a few years ago, someone went on an older ship and even from all their pre-cruise comments and questions you could just tell that they were going in looking for things. And their pictures proved that out. Some of the "issues" they found you could tell they were literally crawling around on the deck looking for things.

But if someone goes in thinking "I'm going on a cruise and I'm going to have a great time" you're much more likely to experience that and not notice the little things.

(And yes, before anyone calls me out, I *have* said I'm nervous about my upcoming Anthem cruise. I have never been on anything that large, and from all I can tell it's sold out - I do know that it's Presidents' Week break, so I'm anticipating a lot of families on board. BUT I know I have my solo balcony - and my TA got me one with the extended balcony. I know there is the adult-only solarium. So I know I'll have some places I can go to escape if I need to. I'm going to meet up with my best friend at Disney Springs for hanging out and for eating during our stop in Port Canaveral/Orlando. I'm going to give Hideaway Beach a try and not be afraid to leave if it's too noisy and I can't find a quietish place. I love being at sea, and that will be enough. I'm planning to do a live report - if people are interested. And even though I'm nervous, I'm going in expecting to have a relaxing time at sea.)

• Like 5

Gosh, this thread is making me doubt my first cruise on Royal - a 15 day cruise on Jewel with only 6 scheduled ports, some of which I doubt will happen based on the odds and weather patterns. Jewel is only 2 years younger than Grandeur (1998 vs 1996) - I hope these photos aren’t indicative of the state of all those older ships.

The cruise was originally planned for Grandeur and would be after the pending dry dock, but I believe RCL is “redeploying “ Grandeur to either the Asian or Australian market this fall.

OP - those photos are pretty disgusting. sorry you were subjected to those conditions.

I sailed on the now destroyed Marco Polo in 2017….soon after it celebrated its 50th birthday (launched in 1965). While the stylistic choices (and some furnishings) were definitely dated the ship was … clean and ship-shape. Crew were observed doing exterior maintenance, bedroom and bath linens were perfectly fine (not threadbare, stained or torn), mattress comfortable and pool and exterior teak work in good condition.. So it definitely is possible and logical to keep older ships in good condition.

LOL. We were on Grandeur a few years ago. They installed a new wall phone. We pointed out to our room steward, that the cabinet door wouldn't open where the phone was installed. The installer came back the next day and moved it to the vanity countertop. ☺️

• Haha 1

Grandeur has been  my least favorite ship since covid though I did go on her first cruise out of texas. She wasnt ready for texas that's for sure. Bossy waiter who insisted on telling me what I could order. Bugs in my sink in the bathroom took 2 legs to get rid of. Etc. Ship had just come in from some island and not ready for a full ship. Pizza not hot. I did 4 legs, none were good.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:30 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Jewel 2004, Grandeur 1996.

Jewel is a gorgeous ship

First time on the Jewel was last November. We liked it too. Lots of wood in the style of older ships. Everything worked and it was kept as clean as possible (sometimes rush hours at the Windjammer were a bit hectic but the area had enough aisle room).

We enjoyed the aft eating area outside.

The food on that particular trip was the best I had since the re-opening (six previous cruises to that one).

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 12:30 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Jewel 2004, Grandeur 1996.

Jewel is a gorgeous ship

Right @Hoopster95 - thanks for the non-judgemental correction - not always how it’s done on CC unfortunately.

Went back to my source to verify and found i mixed Jewel with Vision. Royal swapped our cruise from Grandeur to Vision and I’d just been comparing those.

5 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:

Right @Hoopster95 - thanks for the non-judgemental correction - not always how it’s done on CC unfortunately.

Went back to my source to verify and found i mixed Jewel with Vision. Royal swapped our cruise from Grandeur to Vision and I’d just been comparing those.

@ColdCruise,

Going on the Vision in April for the first-time.

Do you have anything specific you want me to evaluate or have a concern about?

@Engineroom Snipe Thanks for offering:)

It is what it is, as long as they don't drop my Greenland ports, I’ll deal with it. Chose the itinerary not so much the ship. As far as I can tell fr videos there’s not much difference between Grandeur & Vision (68 pax & 5Tons). 
However if you notice anything unique or quirky, that would be interesting to read. 

enjoy your cruise

2 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:

@Engineroom Snipe Thanks for offering:)

It is what it is, as long as they don't drop my Greenland ports, I’ll deal with it. Chose the itinerary not so much the ship. As far as I can tell fr videos there’s not much difference between Grandeur & Vision (68 pax & 5Tons). 
However if you notice anything unique or quirky, that would be interesting to read. 

enjoy your cruise

I have been on Enchanted which is a stretched Vision. I enjoy the forward views in the Windjammer having coffee and breakfast. The only thing missing is a children's splash area. The Vision would be a tough ship in summer on a Kids Sail Free voyage (I love children but I know my limits, do not buy a summer cruise on Royal if you expect a semi-adults only experience). I cannot complain about summertime families in the summer. 🤣

Overall, the ship was good. The food was adequate. I loved all of the varnished wood onboard.

Will try and post a quick review at the end of the cruise. This way, if I have some little quirk, I can measure it against the whole cruise and not base it on one particular experience.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have been on Enchanted which is a stretched Vision.

Enchantment was Grandeur's "twin" sister at birth.

Vision class was three sets of sisters

Splendour / Legend

Grandeur / Enchantment

Rhapsody / Vision

22 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Enchantment was Grandeur's "twin" sister at birth.

Vision class was three sets of sisters

Splendour / Legend

Grandeur / Enchantment

Rhapsody / Vision

@Another_Critic

I stand corrected. I did like Enchantment and looking forward to being on a new ship.

Sorry for the bad info, never sailed on the Grandeur or Rhapsody.

On the Vision right now, and she is in great shape. We were on her last in 2017, and there have been some obvious (but minor) upgrades. Have not seen anything like what the OP posts, so….  And she is going into dry dock one more time later this year. 

Apparently, the HD thinks these ships will be replaced in 2029. 

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

On the Vision right now, and she is in great shape. We were on her last in 2017, and there have been some obvious (but minor) upgrades. Have not seen anything like what the OP posts, so….  And she is going into dry dock one more time later this year. 

Apparently, the HD thinks these ships will be replaced in 2029. 

@alfaeric

2029 is a good thing. Better than the 2027 rumors.

Is the dry dock for standard inspection?

I cannot find anything about the dry dock as far as enhancements or changes of the configuration which is just fine with me.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

@alfaeric

2029 is a good thing. Better than the 2027 rumors.

Is the dry dock for standard inspection?

I cannot find anything about the dry dock as far as enhancements or changes of the configuration which is just fine with me.

Based on the timing, normal dry dock. She’s been amped, it appears. 

• Thanks 1

@alfaeric thanks for the scoop - reassuring the ship’s in good shape !

and like @Engineroom Snipe i enjoy the traditional touches like some well maintained teak! 

my last 3 cruises have been on new builds within the first few months of their sea lives NCL Viva (Nov 22), World Explorer (Feb 23) & NCL Prima (Sep 22). Plus i have booked Icon OTS and World OTS end of 24. Vision & NCL Sky the only “mature” ship on the schedule.

My recent sailings aboard all these new build are ironic - my favorite ship was the 50+ year old Marco Polo (her destruction was IMO a real tragedy sacrificed to chasing big ships-big money 💰 ) 😭

• Like 1

Skipped ahead and missed many of the reviews. Having said that, we recently did an Adventure of the seas cruise. We loved the workers and have to admit we had many bright spots to our cruise and overall loved that ship.

The ship though had many, many,  overly worn areas, stained and or frayed areas as well.  We are incredibly loyal to Royal… (almost Diamond plus) but have to concede the older ships don’t receive the TLC the newer ships do. What is truly unfortunate is the cost of cruising is becoming ridiculous as we test the upper limit as to what the consumer is willing to pay.  Sometimes feels like RCL cares way more for the dollars and less for the returning loyal Royal customer.

• Like 2

I was on Vision in August and she was wonderful across the board. She is showing her age but in a good way. So much character and grace. Grandeur was our first cruise and fully responsible for our now total obsession with cruising so she has a special place in our hearts but she was old 11 years ago and it sounds (and looks) like she is in desperate need of a make over. Hope she gets some love and soon!

Edited by Tangibelle
typo
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tangibelle said:

I was on Vision in August and she was wonderful across the board. She is showing her age but in a good way. So much character and grace. Grandeur was our first cruise and fully responsible for our now total obsession with cruising so she has a special place in our hearts but she was old 11 years ago and it sounds (and looks) like she is in desperate need of a make over. Hope she gets some love and soon!

Thank goodness my wife has your kind eyes.

I need some attention and a make-over but she has not decided to put me in dry-dock yet!

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2024 at 11:49 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

To the OP, I am sorry to read about your experience. I cruised on Grandeur twice last year and had a great time on both cruises. Fortunately I didn’t encounter any of the issues you experienced. Additionally, SuperMario was on one of these cruises. No one is more loyal to RCI than him. I figure if the ship is good enough for him, it’s good enough for me. 

Probably it was one of SuperMario's Free cruises he was awarded for a Crown Anchor number he hit.

I would think he would know better then to pay to sail on that ship.

Don't know why anyone would pay to sail on that ship. I know we sure wouldn't. Way to may other fish in the Sea to every sail on that ship no matter the itinerary or the price.

On 1/21/2024 at 2:46 AM, goldfish65 said:

There's a firestorm of scathing reviews from that sailing!  All sorts of allegations. I was on Grandeur in January and in September. I was aware of the ship's age, and I noticed some wear and areas that needed maintenance, and the sewage odor. No issues with cleanliness or bad food. Even in a Suite, the towels were frayed, I let it go.  I cruise to disconnect and to be on the water. Eleven nights on Grandeur might be too much for me, if the ship is full. Thank you for sharing your experience. Here's hoping the ship gets back in shape during dry dock. 

when is this ship expected to go into dry dock? just curious as we are sailing at the end of May.  One picture is certainly worth 1,000 words.....no reason for uncleanliness.  

1 hour ago, 3red7s said:

when is this ship expected to go into dry dock? just curious as we are sailing at the end of May.  One picture is certainly worth 1,000 words.....no reason for uncleanliness.  

Next time she gets worked on it may look something like this: