How Could We secure a Handicap Balcony

We can only cruise from the San Diego port  as we can no longer fly . We usually book into a handicap balcony to Hawaii or Mexico or Mexico & the West coat to San Francisco . But .now all the handicap are booked . Is there a way to get on a wait list  or any other ideas ?

Thank much for5 any help 

Cliff

42 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We can only cruise from the San Diego port  as we can no longer fly . We usually book into a handicap balcony to Hawaii or Mexico or Mexico & the West coat to San Francisco . But .now all the handicap are booked . Is there a way to get on a wait list  or any other ideas ?

Thank much for5 any help 

Cliff

Cliff, did your TA tell you there were no more accessible cabins available? Some people take the accessible cabins although they don't need them, so be sure to check.

We have gotten fully accessible cabins for 3 years. (Actually,  same cabin! 5055 on Rotterdam) Just completed a 51 day cruise on Jan 14th. Perfect for my DH in a wheelchair. 

There are also partial accessible cabins available. Ask your TA about both.

2 years ago our HAL PCC was vacationing and I called HAL direct. "No accessible cabins " 2 weeks later, got a call from our PCC and there were still 2 available.  Check, check, check all available options!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

.  Check, check, check all available options!

we book a cruise 2 years out " no Handicap cabins avaliable " 😞 I can function in a non-accesable world so it's OK 🤷‍♀️ huge change in Itinerary about a month ago and there were a LOT of cancellations on our roll call , I called HAL to check , I had to drop down from a SS to a VA but I got a handicap cabin . so CHECK CHECK CHECK ! and Booking EARLY doesn't hurt , also larger ships have more H/C rooms . 

Edited by fox02554
  • Like 1

We took advice & phoned HAL .Wow we were able to get a accessable on Nov 9,2024  Koningsdam . Booked into a VA deck 8 using club Orange from a VH yo the VA upgrade . Thanks again 

Cliff

• Like 3

We've been trying for one since we booked the cruise (4 weeks on Nieuw Statendam in April) 18 months in advance, with only partial success.

It was single cruise made up to two cruises.  Eventually, we changed to a back-to-back and was able to get an HC cabin for the first 2 weeks, but not for the 2nd half.  We check the website daily, and ask our TA to contact HAL weekly.  

To the best of our knowledge, there is no waiting list, but only first come, first serve.

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We took advice & phoned HAL .Wow we were able to get a accessable on Nov 9,2024  Koningsdam . Booked into a VA deck 8 using club Orange from a VH yo the VA upgrade . Thanks again 

Cliff

Smart move on buying Club Orange for the cabin upgrade.  I'm guessing the combined cabin/Club Orange price came in lower than the VA cabin price, after including the Club Orange cost.

Assuming you got one of the 4 VA accessible cabins I see on the Koningsdam Deck 8 floorplan, your cabin should be pretty spacious--the size of a Signature Suite just without the suite amenities or floor layout.  The one drawback to those cabins is they are below the Lido buffet so you might hear dinnerware carts rumbling above you at odd hours.