Mal de débarquement syndrome

Zeke Eak

My wife and I have only been on one cruise (10 days to Alaska). After the cruise, we experienced the feeling of motion for at least a full week. It was fairly severe and discomforting. According to the internet this is called Mal de débarquement syndrome and there isn't really a way prevent it. Motion sickness has never been a problem for me, but my wife has experienced it on amusement park rides, car rides, etc.

We have another 10 day cruise coming up in April and I'd rather not experience this again.

Any remedies that have worked for the more experienced cruisers?

Thanks for any information. 

I've experienced this on occasion, and it was a bit disconcerting. I also suffer motion sickness on many kinds of transportation, including  ships. I can prevent the motion sickness just by taking a Bonine tablet at bedtime every night, starting the night before embarkation.  My family doctor suggested that I continue the Bonine for 3 days or so after the cruise ended, ét voilà, pas plus Mal de debarquement pour moi. ( no more spinnies after the cruise). I've seen some cruisers mention that spending time in a rocking chair helped them. 

• Like 1

As your research shows there is no real way to prevent it. I experienced it a few times in the Navy and hadn't gotten sea sick, so no connection there. Your inner ear just needs time to adjust to being back on land.

We know a few who have suffered from this ailment, and the suggestion (from their physicians) was to take Meclizine Hcl (one brand name is Bonine) for a few days.  Personally we would suggest talking to your own physician to see if he/she agrees or perhaps has a better option.

Hank

Thanks for the responses.

I figured there wasn't much that could be done, but was hoping for some type of cruiser folk remedy. I believe my wife has used Bonine to combat seasickness, so I may give it a shot.

On 1/24/2024 at 11:25 AM, mom says said:

I've experienced this on occasion, and it was a bit disconcerting. I also suffer motion sickness on many kinds of transportation, including  ships. I can prevent the motion sickness just by taking a Bonine tablet at bedtime every night, starting the night before embarkation.  My family doctor suggested that I continue the Bonine for 3 days or so after the cruise ended, ét voilà, pas plus Mal de debarquement pour moi. ( no more spinnies after the cruise). I've seen some cruisers mention that spending time in a rocking chair helped them. 

This. I used to get this my first few cruises lasting anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. But I loved cruising, so I researched and researched until I came across an article that stated the condition is made worse by flying soon after cruising. The suggestion was to start taking meclizine (Bonine) two nights before getting off the ship and continue to take one a night for at least 2 more days after getting off the ship. But more importantly, take a nasal decongestant 1/2 hour  before your flight and continue on the recommended dosage of that for at least two days.

Since I started this regiment, I haven't experienced any symptoms of land sickness since (like zero symptoms) let alone Mal de Debarquement. 

Edited by ferfoodle
grammar

I never heard of this UNTIL I got it!  Usually after a cruise I would feel like I was still on the ship for up to a week.  Took many cruises.  Then, in November of 2017 I took a ten day cruise.  The bobbing didn't go away.  About six weeks later I went on another ten day cruise.  Fine on the ship (usually you're fine while in motion such as in a car or on a ship) but once home it didn't go away.  That is when I did some googling and found a wonderful group of people on F who have this.  Some people have really high symptoms.  Some people have had it for decades but didn't know what it was.  Some sad stories but mostly people asking for advise.  

Most doctors are not familiar with it so suggest taking meclizine, etc which does not help this (doesn't hurt either).  Many people are on anti-anxiety drugs.  Most say don't cruise again.  Some of us that are mild (such as me) still cruise.  I have cut back on the number and length of cruises and now will only cruise 7 days and not fly home the day I get off.  The one time ,after I got this, I went on a 10 day cruise I flew home that day and my symptoms were a little higher for about 6 weeks.  Cruised in the Med in September for 7 days and flew home next day.  Symptoms were not higher.

Oh, and it is a syndrome if you have it for more than 30 days.  Most people do tend to get better within a few months.  It is considered being in remission and if they cruise again it is prone to come back.  

As for a remedy for you and your wife... don't fly home the day of disembarkment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

What intrigues me is that I do not suffer when I am off the ship on a port day.  It just happens after we get home.  Go figure.

DON

Me too.