Mazatlan-Deer Island?

mitsugirly

Has anyone been here? I know everyone seems to recommend Stone Island, but looking at pictures, Deer Island looks a little nicer to me (?)

If you've went, how did you go and who did you use to get there? If you did an excursion, what all was included? I think I've read it's a pretty secluded island with no food or amenities, but yet I've seen a few videos that mentioned a tour with lunch provided so I'm wondering if that was just that particular tour operator that did that or have things changed recently and they might offer food/drinks?

Has anyone done any snorkeling there?

TIA

2 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Stone Island and Deer Island are 2 beaches on the same long stretch of sand

This is not true.  Deer Island (Isla de Venados) is a real island off the coast pretty much in front of the "zona dorado" and Stone Island is across the channel to the South.

My vote is for Deer Island as a more unique experience.

image.png.2e73b5fab90ac05f31008ae58e5ecff8.png

BTW - The local baseball team is called "Los Venados."

Edited by SelectSys

14 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Stone Island is recommended because it is easy to get there (and back), there are lots of amenities, it is reasonably priced.  

Yes, I do know that but looking for something a little different and more secluded that's not a beach just lined up with vendors and restaurants. 

12 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Stone Island and Deer Island are 2 beaches on the same long stretch of sand. Here is a video that talks about both, including how to get there on your own using a small boat as a ferry. 

Deer Island is not anywhere near Stone Island. Deer Island is actually an island (where Stone Island is not). Deer Island, Bird Island and another...maybe Wolf Island are all islands. Deer Island has a stretch of beach and is less popular and not lined up and down the beach with vendors/restaurants. 

I've watched this video before...that's what made me not want to go to Stone Island. 

10 hours ago, SelectSys said:

My vote is for Deer Island as a more unique experience.

Have you been before? Can you tell me anything about it and who to book with?

As I stated before...looking for people that have actually been to Deer Island and what their experiences were. Also, how to get there and who they booked with. The ship offers an excursion here but as everyone knows, they are always over priced and give you less time. Just trying to see who others might have used and what their experience was like. Also...is there any snorkeling there and how was it?

3 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Have you been before? Can you tell me anything about it and who to book with?

I have not.  However, I have been on the beach across from the island in the "golden zone" and have had "panga" operators ask if I wanted to go to over for a visit.  I would definitely consider it if and when I go back to Mazatlan. 

The cheapest way would be to simply go to the beach and find a boat to take you across.  I am sure more organized tours exist as well but the cost is probably 5-10x more expensive.

2 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Okay, I stand corrected about Stone Island/Deer Island being the same. I was going off that video I posted where they explain one is to the left side and the other is to the right. 🙃

No problem at all. 😉  I think he said the connected island to Stone was Goat Island though. 🙂 

17 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I have not.  However, I have been on the beach across from the island in the "golden zone" and have had "panga" operators ask if I wanted to go to over for a visit.  I would definitely consider it if and when I go back to Mazatlan. 

The cheapest way would be to simply go to the beach and find a boat to take you across.  I am sure more organized tours exist as well but the cost is probably 5-10x more expensive.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I'm a big planner, so not sure I would feel as comfortable just showing up and asking for a boat ride over (although it would definitely be cheaper). I was hoping to find a tour (by a local) that might include going over, possibly sailing by the others and maybe lunch prepared by them. It's always great to hear if others have experienced it themselves and what their experience is. Just hoping someone will chime in. 🙂 

4 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

I'm a big planner, so not sure I would feel as comfortable just showing up and asking for a boat ride over (although it would definitely be cheaper).

Ok, I think you will find many options if you simply search the Internet.  I see many preplanned options.  Here is one:

https://www.mazatlantours.org/deer-island-snorkeling.htm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Ok, I think you will find many options if you simply search the Internet.  I see many preplanned options.  Here is one:

https://www.mazatlantours.org/deer-island-snorkeling.htm

Yea, I've seen their offerings (at multiple ports) but have hesitated on that tour because it says 3 hours but takes you to Deer Island and then over to a hotel in the Golden Zone (Best Western) and no lunch included. But it's still an option. 🙂 

On 1/26/2024 at 9:19 AM, mitsugirly said:

Yea, I've seen their offerings (at multiple ports) but have hesitated on that tour because it says 3 hours but takes you to Deer Island and then over to a hotel in the Golden Zone (Best Western) and no lunch included. But it's still an option. 🙂 

Nevermind. Didn’t read the fine print.🤷‍♀️😆

Edited by mkcurran

On 1/25/2024 at 6:22 PM, TwinMamainMN said:

Stone Island and Deer Island are 2 beaches on the same long stretch of sand. Here is a video that talks about both, including how to get there on your own using a small boat as a ferry. 

Super helpful, thank you!!

Has anyone ever used Aqua Sports Mazatlan before?

I see they offer a "snorkel" tour to Deer Island (which we wouldn't need since we have our own equipment) BUT...they offer a ride over to Deer Island for $20/pp using one of their water taxis and they drop you off and bring you back whenever you'd like stating "you decided when and how long you would like to stay on Deer Island" Oh, it also states they will provide a Sunbrella with 4 chair for $15 if needed. 

Edited by mitsugirly

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 6:06 AM, mitsugirly said:

I find it so weird that when I do a search on Deer Island there is absolutely no threads with it in there other than this one. No one has been there out of all the cruisers?

On 2/12/2024 at 3:43 PM, SelectSys said:

That first one has a link within it that goes no where and from 4 years ago so the cost would probably not be right. 

I have read that snorkeling isn't the greatest in Mazatlan but I snorkel everywhere people say that you won't see anything and always manage to find something. LOL  We are also going for the beach and a nice place to hang out. It looks a lot better than Stone Island or anything else I can find. 

On 2/12/2024 at 3:57 PM, SelectSys said:

Dang, I didn't realize you could do a search that way and put in Cruise Critic. I'll have to remember this. 

I looked at everything on that list and most things are really really old or it's just people asking about going there and people telling them to go to Stone Island instead.  Ugh! The struggle is real in trying to figure this out. 

I did contact Aqua Sports Mazatlan who has a listing on their website for a trip over to the island, but it has taken them days to respond and when they did, they ask me for how many people. I responded back and it's been days again with no response...which of course makes me nervous. 

Anyone know how much a taxi/uber to the Golden Zone would cost? I'm beginning to wonder if it's just too much of a hassle to do it on our own and just book with the cruise line...therefore giving up a lot of precious time of being on the beach because it says 5 hours, which of course includes travel time and people giving reviews about only actually getting about an hour on the beach. 

On 2/15/2024 at 3:34 PM, mitsugirly said:

taxi/uber to the Golden Zone would cost?

I have no idea of the cost, but I prefer uber over taxis as this prevents being charged a higher rate.  Regardless, taxis are plentiful in the city and I am sure they will be lined up outside the cruise port.  

BTW - I would guess it's no more than 15 minutes if traffic isn't too bad.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 3:34 PM, mitsugirly said:

Anyone know how much a taxi/uber to the Golden Zone would cost? . 

It has been years since I've taken a pulmania from the Cruise Ship Terminal to the Golden Zone.  I normally go to the Church first, and then take a pulmania from there to the Golden Zone, two distinct trips.

I will guess that for 1 to 3 passengers, from the Cruise Passenger Terminal to the Golden Zone should cost about $25 US.  I hope someone else comes along to correct me and give you a more current price.

Aqua Sports finally answered me and said that it's about 5 minutes away from their place and should cost about $10-15 by taxi. It looks like they go out of a boat dock in an area close to the cruise ship.

I'm just trying to see if it's worth it to pay for a taxi there, taxi back, then the trip over to Deer Island $20/pp. My goal in taking a private boat over there was to be able to stay longer on the island since people reported they only spent about 1 hour there of their time listed because the rest is travel time. However, they said it's a 3 hour tour, which still isn't the amount of time I wanted to stay and probably also includes the ride there and back.  

$20/pp plus $15 there $15 back would be around $110 total for our group of 4. Seems reasonable. 

To book Carnival it is $89.99/pp, but includes lunch and it does say 5 hours (including transportation). I'm not sure why you would only get 1 hour at the beach. Did that review fib a little bit? They state it's a 30 minute bus ride and then another 40-50 boat ride over. Are they getting on the boat somewhere far away??? The Golden zone? So basically this tour, using Carnival, would cost us $360.00  BIG difference.

What would y'all do?