Passengers attempt to bring 100 bags of weed onto cruise ship (NCL JOY)

On 1/28/2024 at 6:22 PM, PhillyTravelBug said:

So, does that mean the dry dock for the Joy is done?  Guess they thought they'd be bored without the galaxy pavilion.

No, it was before the Joy sailed from Miami to Southampton. It's in dry dock now.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:53 AM, garycarla said:

Edibles are easy to take onboard.  Very limited smell to start with.  Bury inside a medicine bottle works well.

I'm not sure posting on an open forum with presumably your names as the account name is the smartest thing.  NCL staff read these.  You might find your luggage getting extra attention.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:12 PM, UKstages said:

who knew that cheech and chong enjoyed cruising?

(i guess they are in the correct age demographic.)

i do wonder if there were any "contemporary cruisers" onboard.

Dave's not here man...

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, argyll1881 said:

I'm not sure posting on an open forum with presumably your names as the account name is the smartest thing.  NCL staff read these.  You might find your luggage getting extra attention.

Never, EVER put stuff in your checked bags.

100 "bags"? What kind of a measurement is that? They are supposed to quote a weight in kilos, and tell us how much the street value is which is always a LOT more than what you would pay. At least, that's what my older brothers told me.

"Dime bags" are the closest I can think of, but I don't think anyone has used that measurement since the 1970s. My older brothers told me they only contained about a gram or so and you could roll a joint with it but not much more, they said. 100 "dime bags" would be about 100 grams, about 3.5 ounces. That is still a lot for two people according to my older brothers. Over the "personal use" limit the old laws had (my older brothers said this too).

I mean, that just what my older brothers said.

1 hour ago, fshagan said:

"Dime bags" are the closest I can think of, but I don't think anyone has used that measurement since the 1970s. My older brothers told me they only contained about a gram or so and you could roll a joint with it but not much more, they said. 100 "dime bags" would be about 100 grams, about 3.5 ounces. That is still a lot for two people according to my older brothers. Over the "personal use" limit the old laws had (my older brothers said this too).

I mean, that just what my older brothers said.

I might have bought a dime bag or two in the 1990s.....just maybe.

A dime bag did not have a fixed quantity like let's say an eighth (of an ounce) but rather cost $10.00 and the better you knew the guy the better your sack was.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:53 AM, garycarla said:

Edibles are easy to take onboard.  Very limited smell to start with.  Bury inside a medicine bottle works well.

Not knowing there was dogs. I am so glad I did not have a small handful of edibles in my checked bag....

15 hours ago, fshagan said:

100 "bags"? What kind of a measurement is that? They are supposed to quote a weight in kilos, and tell us how much the street value is which is always a LOT more than what you would pay. At least, that's what my older brothers told me.

From another article on the topic: The seized packages weighed 71.9 kilograms, or about 158 pounds, the affidavit said.

That's a lot of bags! 

4 hours ago, tommccabe79 said:

From another article on the topic: The seized packages weighed 71.9 kilograms, or about 158 pounds, the affidavit said.

That's a lot of bags! 

That would normally get an indictment for intending to deal.. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:13 PM, tommccabe79 said:

That's a lot of bags! 

Good lord! That's a lot of cannabis!

I'm trying to remember, but when "dealing" was set at more than an ounce, the cops told us (my big brothers anyway) that if you can hold all the loose weed in two hands cupped together that would weigh about an ounce. 158 pounds would be 2,528 ounces.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:39 PM, MSUjohn said:

I might have bought a dime bag or two in the 1990s.....just maybe.

A dime bag did not have a fixed quantity like let's say an eighth (of an ounce) but rather cost $10.00 and the better you knew the guy the better your sack was.

I actually couldn't remember so I did a quick Google search. In my mind, a dime bag usually got you about an eighth or 3.5 grams, but Google said one gram. But I may have been confused by the other measurement we used, a "lid" (the amount that would fill the lid of a Prince Albert tobacco tin).

• Haha 2