First NCL Cruise Next Month and I Have Questions.

Hello All,

My wife and I will be taking our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway next month. I've read through the forum and got answers to most of my questions but I am still a little fuzzy on a few things.

1. I have the FAS package and we each get 150 minutes of wifi. I will upgrade one of us to unlimited. It sounds like it is best to do this on the second day on the ship as opposed to ahead of time?

2. How to book shows? Sounds like I have to do this onboard. Doesn't look like I am able to do this ahead of time.

3. Where to eat the first day? We hope to board around noon. Sounds like I should do one of the MDR's cause O'Sheehan's and buffet will be packed.

4. How much can you eat in the MDR's? We're not huge eaters but just curious if you can order multiple entrees, apps or desserts or is it limited somehow.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

1. I have the FAS package and we each get 150 minutes of wifi. I will upgrade one of us to unlimited. It sounds like it is best to do this on the second day on the ship as opposed to ahead of time?

2. How to book shows? Sounds like I have to do this onboard. Doesn't look like I am able to do this ahead of time.

3. Where to eat the first day? We hope to board around noon. Sounds like I should do one of the MDR's cause O'Sheehan's and buffet will be packed.

4. How much can you eat in the MDR's? We're not huge eaters but just curious if you can order multiple entrees, apps or desserts or is it limited somehow.

1.  We don't have any experience with doing an upgrade, but, I believe you have the correct info.

2. You can log into your account and book shows around 21 days pre-cruise (basically the same time as "Check-in" for your cruise.  *Note "Check-In" is providing your information and watching the Safety Video.  When you select a time, that time is for arrival at the port.  Your actual boarding time will be approximately 11:30 (in most cases).

3. As for your first meal onboard, I believe you have the correct idea.  Just ask which Main Dining room is open.

4. Yes, you may order any appetizers, sides, and desserts you desire. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers. How important is it to check in as early as possible on the 21st day? I already have a room assigned. Is it just for people that are waiting for a room to be assigned?  I ask because I belong to a Facebook group for this cruise and they are all saying they are staying up late to make sure they can check in immediately. Not sure of the urgency of checking in.

Edited by tonyfall1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

Thanks for the answers. How important is it to check in as early as possible on the 21st day? I already have a room reserved. Is it just for people that are waiting for a room to be assigned?  I ask because I belong to a Facebook group for this cruise and they are all saying they are staying up late to make sure they can check in immediately. Not sure of the urgency of checking in.

Most "new to NCL cruises" don't realize that the "Check-In" time is for arriving at the port!

Once you have passed through the check-in desk, you will be sent to appropriate area within the terminal.  Actual boarding takes place in the following order (more or less)...

1) Haven and Suites

2) Wheel chair assistance 

3) Latitudes status (Ambassadors, Diamonds, etc. ...other priority statuses)

4) all others  or as you arrive at the port if the above have cleared the Check-In areas.

I hope that answered your questions. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

1.  We don't have any experience with doing an upgrade, but, I believe you have the correct info.

2. You can log into your account and book shows around 21 days pre-cruise (basically the same time as "Check-in" for your cruise.  *Note "Check-In" is providing your information and watching the Safety Video.  When you select a time, that time is for arrival at the port.  Your actual boarding time will be approximately 11:30 (in most cases).

3. As for your first meal onboard, I believe you have the correct idea.  Just ask which Main Dining room is open.

4. Yes, you may order any appetizers, sides, and desserts you desire. 

And as many entrees as you want.

• Like 2

I thought of another one.  What time does the pool open?  I am an early bird usually up by 6 am ET. Wondering how early I can go and get a chair by the pool.  I'm not a chair hog just an early bird so wondering what time I should get out there.

1 hour ago, tonyfall1 said:

Hello All,

My wife and I will be taking our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway next month. I've read through the forum and got answers to most of my questions but I am still a little fuzzy on a few things.

1. A very very very few people will game the system and upgrade on the second day. Me, personally, I will upgrade on the first day because the cell service in the ports is really bad with 10’s of thousands people streaming their cruise to friends and family. 

2. Show reservations open at the same time online check in opens. Midnight eastern time, 21 days prior to departure. If they are allowing reservations you can also go to Headliners comedy club as soon as you embark. 

If you want an early port check in time, you need to check in at midnight. You need your passport, emergency contact information, credit card, and photo (mug shot - facing straight into the camera, plain back ground, no glasses or head covering). 

3. We always eat at the buffet. We board early, take care of show and dining reservations, and there at opening. 

Savor and Taste Main Dining Rooms (Deck 6 aft) are open. O’Sheehans, 

4. Order and eat as much as you want. Like the bar, order things you would never try at home. And if you don’t like it, order something else. 

The following link is to my live post from the Breakaway about a year ago. You can get an idea of the types of activities on the ship (and answer your question about where you can eat). And get an idea about the oool hours. The menus will be a little bit out of date, but they are close to what they are today.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

Thanks for the answers. How important is it to check in as early as possible on the 21st day? I already have a room assigned. Is it just for people that are waiting for a room to be assigned?  I ask because I belong to a Facebook group for this cruise and they are all saying they are staying up late to make sure they can check in immediately. Not sure of the urgency of checking in.

It's not all that necessary to be up at midnight to checkin.  Many like to checkin as early as possible because they're so excited about the cruise.  Early morning checkin is important if you want to board the ship as early as possible.  You might save 30 minutes being in the first group.

The earlier  your checkin,  the longer  you'll sit waiting in plastic ( usually) chairs. If  you get a very early checkin, say 0930, you'll be sitting in those chairs until 1100 or later.  You might actually board around 1115 or so.  If you arrive at the port around 1100,  you'll probably board around 1130/1145.  Would you rather wait in the comfort of  your hotel room or a crowded, think air port, waiting area.

JMHO, others havd different opinions.

• Like 2

We would rather sit in a plastic chair and skim the morning news than stand in line. We hate security lines and hate checkin lines.  We are Diamond members and will show up early. Have some time to relax in our plastic chair. And be first onboard after Haven and Special Assistance guests. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We would rather sit in a plastic chair and skim the morning news than stand in line. We hate security lines and hate checkin lines.  We are Diamond members and will show up early. Have some time to relax in our plastic chair. And be first onboard after Haven and Special Assistance guests. 

Plastic chairs or lines?

There is a third option.

Arrive at the port after the lines clear.

no plastic chairs

no long lines

walk right on board.

• Like 2

Three things you need to remember:

(1) Only a certain number of dinner reservations are allowed to be made prior to boarding your cruise.  For example if you try to book before your cruise, it might say that Restaurant "A" is fully book on a particular evening.  It might not be because only a certain number of reservations for it can be made prior.  Also if you are a couple, if you go to a restaurant a few minutes prior to the scheduled opening and ask to be seated, most times you can.

(2) Once you board the ship, you should immediately go to your "Muster Station".  It only takes a matter of a few minutes to be processed.  Look at your Key card, it will have Capital Letter (A, B, C) and a Number.  Ask the crew member who greets you upon boarding where you need to go.

(3) For shows in the theater, you may not need reservations.  The theater doors open 30 minutes prior to each show.  Seating even with reservations is not assigned, just go in and find a seat.  If I want a reservation, I usually go to the Theater Box Office toward the front of the ship on Deck 7.

If you are sailing on the 11th of February, be aware that is the last weekend of Mardi Gras--lots of crowds and lots of traffic.  Allow extra time to arrive at the port.

Most importantly enjoy the city of New Orleans and your cruise.

If this is your first time cruising out of New Orleans, try to be outside on the River side of the ship as you sail.  As the ship pulls away from the pier, She will make a "U" turn in the River sailing past downtown New Orleans on Her way South to the Gulf of Mexico.  The trip down River will take about 8 hours or so.

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

If this is your first time cruising out of New Orleans, try to be outside on the River side of the ship as you sail.  As the ship pulls away from the pier, She will make a "U" turn in the River sailing past downtown New Orleans on Her way South to the Gulf of Mexico.  The trip down River will take about 8 hours or so.

Spend some time on watching the river as the ship goes down towards the gulf. If can be very interesting.  Especially after dark.  We like to  have dinner and  take glass of wine or a cocktail out to our balcony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Plastic chairs or lines?

There is a third option.

Arrive at the port after the lines clear.

no plastic chairs

no long lines

walk right on board.

...and deal with lots of crowds on board.

We rather take advantage of our Diamond status and be first onboard and get a table for lunch (usually the buffet) with no line or crowds. In the "old days" we would always go the MDR thinking it was "fancy" to be served our embarkation lunch on a white table cloth. We are now into the variety of food at the buffet, and spend out time watching the crowds (versus standing in line to get bread) and planning our vacation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

...and deal with lots of crowds on board.

We rather take advantage of our Diamond status and be first onboard and get a table for lunch (usually the buffet) with no line or crowds. In the "old days" we would always go the MDR thinking it was "fancy" to be served our embarkation lunch on a white table cloth. We are now into the variety of food at the buffet, and spend out time watching the crowds (versus standing in line to get bread) and planning our vacation. 

Good for you.  Even though we're Haven and could board before Diamond/Platinum/Etc and have a nice lunch in the Haven restaurant we stil prefer to arrive later.   

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Good for you.  Even though we're Haven and could board before Diamond/Platinum/Etc and have a nice lunch in the Haven restaurant we stil prefer to arrive later.   

Sounds good. We sailed in the Haven twice last year (Encore to Alaska and Viva to Caribbean) and 4 times in steerage. We always boarded as soon as we could. GET THE VACATION STARTED!!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sounds good. We sailed in the Haven twice last year (Encore to Alaska and Viva to Caribbean) and 4 times in steerage. We always boarded as soon as we could. GET THE VACATION STARTED!!! 

We don't wait until we board the ship to start our vacation.  Our vacation starts the day before we board when we leave for the port.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We don't wait until we board the ship to start our vacation.  Our vacation starts the day before we board when we leave for the port.

Yeah we are flying in a day early to enjoy NOLA.

You are boarding the ship next to the French Quarter and New Orleans in general. Some of the best restaurants in the world are withing walking distance of the port. Do not eat lunch on the ship amid the stressful chaos. Eat one of the best meals of your life on land and then board with no line or stress after every one else have boarded. Will be the best $30-$50 you have ever spent. It is what we will do  on February 18 when we board. And have done on every cruise from New Orleans. 

• Like 1