Live from the Koningsdam 1-30-24 RT Hawaii

misguy

Today the Chef showed everyone how he makes Macadamia Nut Crusted Barundi, and then that and the filet were on the dinner for Gala night.  They have a singer/song writer that sang a bunch of Carole King songs she was really good and then she stayed out to talk to the audience.  We had a coffee talk with Captain, and he was very entertaining.

• Like 5

The sun is just rising on a beautiful morning.  The seas are still about the same, and the ship is not moving much at all, The internet is still holding fairly well. 

Just changed time zones last night again.  I will try to some more things posted.  It has been a very good trip and I have been impressed by the quality of the guest lecturers on board.

image.thumb.png.df24632ccee620b44c048fb28d105ffd.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am thinking of booking this cruise next year, have a question, don’t know if you are able to answer.

all aft balconies are booked, I love a bigger balcony. It looks like from deck plans deck 4 has larger balconies, do you know if that is true? Also, are they obstructed from lifeboats?

thank you if you are able to answer.

1 hour ago, gizmodog said:

I am thinking of booking this cruise next year, have a question, don’t know if you are able to answer.

all aft balconies are booked, I love a bigger balcony. It looks like from deck plans deck 4 has larger balconies, do you know if that is true? Also, are they obstructed from lifeboats?

I do not know the answer, but I will see what I can find out.

Sorry, about the order.  We had the Thom Ka Gai, the Spareribs, the Thai Beef Salad, the Spring Rolls, the Barramundi, the Szechuan Shrimp, the Yuzu Cheesecake, and the Mango Posset.  The flavor was amazing, but I had to ask for more peppers, which were readily available. 

• Like 1

We have been on the sister ship to this one and the Deck 4 aft balconies are 2 x's the length of the regular balcony. It fits a chaise.   There are also a couple on the port side that are huge- by width and length.  We have one booked for another cruise but haven't been in one to date.     

We've been on the Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam, sister ships to Koningsdam. We like a bigger balcony too and chose to stay on deck 4. Like tupper10 said, the balconies are huge. Half is covered, half not. Room for 2 chaises and you could probably fit 4. The obstructed cabins are midship; the extended balconies are located fore and aft. You've got to be careful choosing one at the front of the ship because some of them have steel railings vs. plexiglass, if that's something that's important to you. We've since found out that there are large balconies on the other decks. They're located midship where the ship jogs inward. Part of the balcony is on an angle but it's large.

• Like 1

Thank you for this, talking to agent now, do you have any room numbers on 4 that are not obstructed by life boats and do not have steel balconies? I’m so sorry to ask, and this would be on Konsingdam. 

3 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

Thank you all, upon investigating I believe I found the rooms you speak of.

We book the ones that are in the aft section and loved it.  4169 to 4209 and 4148 to 4182- 4154 and 4156 have the huge balconies and go very quickly.  I didn't want to be by a crew staircase - on the Eurodam we were told that it is an used staircase but not sure about the Pinnacle ships.  

2 hours ago, misguy said:

Sorry, about the order.  We had the Thom Ka Gai, the Spareribs, the Thai Beef Salad, the Spring Rolls, the Barramundi, the Szechuan Shrimp, the Yuzu Cheesecake, and the Mango Posset.  The flavor was amazing, but I had to ask for more peppers, which were readily available. 

Fantastic photos! This ship does a nice job with Tamarind. A bit more fancy than what we have usually seen. Great blog, great commentary. Thanks so much for a very enjoyable thread!

• Thanks 1

The Captain just announced that we will get into Ensenada about 5 hours early, so we get a longer day.  Seas are running about 6 feet still.  The ride is smooth, and it is a beautiful day outside. 

This morning, the seas are almost calm, and the internet is slower than dial-up, I am not sure why.  I will have 5 or 6 longer form videos that I will try to upload tomorrow in Ensenada if I can get a good connection.  

Last night was the last formal night menus and food was good, They had a boy band show, and they were pretty good, just not my favorite style of music.  

• Like 3

On 2/14/2024 at 5:22 AM, gizmodog said:

I love a bigger balcony. It looks like from deck plans deck 4 has larger balconies, do you know if that is true? Also, are they obstructed from lifeboats?

None of the deeper deck cabins are obstructed by lifeboats or tenders. Oh I take that back, the sideways cabins 4043 and 4044 have intermediate-depth balconies that are obstructed by lifeboats. But not the whole sections of deep balconies fore and aft. 

I believe the forward cabins that are VF have the steel railings and those that are VB do not. Because cruisedeckplans shows VF4020 (on the N.Statendam) does and VB4025 does not.

We are in Ensenada this morning.  They are already docked and starting to let people off the ship at 9:30.  The sail last night was very smooth, and the had a chocolate surprise in BB Kings last night, Chocolate raisins, white chocolate raisins, chocolate cupcakes, and chocolate coated rice crispies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, misguy said:

Here is the video from our trip to Volcanoes National Park.

What was the name of the trail you were on, and who did you use for transportation from the ship to the park and back?