Why such a lousy upgrade offer ?

Yesterday I was offered a move from an ocean view to a balcony at just over $1000. If I wanted to pay that much, I'd have chosen a balcony to begin with. I don't know how they even call that an offer lol.

• Like 5

On 1/31/2024 at 10:56 AM, jsglow said:

I actually chuckle when the computer tries to pry a porthole out of my hands.

Portholes are AWFUL... all the extra storage, natural light, and hardly any foot traffic in the hallway..  NO ONE should ever choose them!!   (did it work?)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Pyxie said:

Yesterday I was offered a move from an ocean view to a balcony at just over $1000. If I wanted to pay that much, I'd have chosen a balcony to begin with. I don't know how they even call that an offer lol.

Not a good offer my any stretch. You probably had a better price when you first booked. Now a couple hundred you may have taken it

I've had upgrades that I was interested in and accepted them and I've had upgrades I had no interest in and never accepted. It's nothing to be offended by. They have some rooms to let go and they make an offer. Just pass them by when you don't like it. Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, Wolfshair said:

I've had upgrades that I was interested in and accepted them and I've had upgrades I had no interest in and never accepted. It's nothing to be offended by. They have some rooms to let go and they make an offer. Just pass them by when you don't like it. Enjoy your cruise.

I am not offended by the offers i would just think after sailing on Carnival ships for over 20 cruises that the offers would be worth while. Carnival calling deck 1 ocean view for $423 dollars an upgrade is crazy.

1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

I am not offended by the offers i would just think after sailing on Carnival ships for over 20 cruises that the offers would be worth while. Carnival calling deck 1 ocean view for $423 dollars an upgrade is crazy.

Upsells aren't rewards for sailing.  Upsells are solely to benefit Carnival to move slow moving staterooms and resell others.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Offers are not based on your sailing history. They are actually sent out automatically through an algorithm that looks for rooms they want to resell at a higher price and attempt to get you out of it with the next highest category. A human doesn’t analyze them before they go out.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was nice in January 22 and 23 to receive an upgrade offer both times to go from interior to balcony on a 7 day cruise for under $300. I won't be expecting that kind of offer anytime soon again. 

I always get a chuckle when people ask "Is this a good offer, should I take it?" when it very much looks like an option you would have had when originally selecting a room. Marketing is a crazy thing. 

We have 2 cabins booked for May and are trying to save money by staying on Deck 2 for the first time with an OV suite and an interior. I actually got a good offer this week to move from the OV to Deck 6 balcony in an area we like for just $90 BUT it's only for that cabin.  I have no desire to move one cabin to another deck so I will have to decline.  If they made an offer for both I would take it! 

On 1/30/2024 at 5:47 PM, freewilly said:

We always book interior and get same lame offers. I guess they think  folks want a window . Not interested in being on deck 1 or 2. Pass.

Im going in a few weeks myself.  First carnival cruise in years.  Gave me a good offer to start.  $1200, interior on the 8th floor, $225obc, 7 day, free drinks while gambling… they messaged me, $300 to upgrade to a Havana interior or $2900 for a suite.  What’s the difference in a regular interior or Havana interior?  Absolutely nothing worth 150pp…. Now, ocean view or balcony, we can talk.  But a different interior when it’s only 600pp?  Not a chance.

On 1/31/2024 at 10:46 AM, csm5986142 said:

I love NCLs process for selling upgrades (a bidding process) - I wish Carnival would switch to something like that.

Princess and Celebrity have that too, but you never know which cabin you'll end up having. You only bid on a category update.

16 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Princess and Celebrity have that too, but you never know which cabin you'll end up having. You only bid on a category update.

Cabin location is very important piece of information to have. As we all know the same category types exist all over the ship including Front , Middle and Back. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vnyislesv said:

Im going in a few weeks myself.  First carnival cruise in years.  Gave me a good offer to start.  $1200, interior on the 8th floor, $225obc, 7 day, free drinks while gambling… they messaged me, $300 to upgrade to a Havana interior or $2900 for a suite.  What’s the difference in a regular interior or Havana interior?  Absolutely nothing worth 150pp…. Now, ocean view or balcony, we can talk.  But a different interior when it’s only 600pp?  Not a chance.

I don't believe access to the Havana area is worth the price their asking

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:42 PM, awhitleycrew said:

We have 2 cabins booked for May and are trying to save money by staying on Deck 2 for the first time with an OV suite and an interior. I actually got a good offer this week to move from the OV to Deck 6 balcony in an area we like for just $90 BUT it's only for that cabin.  I have no desire to move one cabin to another deck so I will have to decline.  If they made an offer for both I would take it! 

We received an offer for a cabin upgrade that we took.

My brother is also cruising with us in a separate cabin and did not receive an upgrade offer.

He called asking for the same offer and they gave him the same offer which he also took advantage of.

Edited by Bob NC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bob NC said:

We received an offer for a cabin upgrade that we took.

My brother is also cruising with us in a separate cabin and did not receive an upgrade offer.

He called asking for the same offer and they gave him the same offer which he also took advantage of.

Wow!!  I don't think I've heard of that happening, someone calling in and requesting an offer.  Good going!!

35 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Wow!!  I don't think I've heard of that happening, someone calling in and requesting an offer.  Good going!!

You can always call and upsell yourself to a higher category cabin.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yeah, it worked out well.

The upgrade offer was from a balcony to a Spa Balcony.

We were going to buy the spa package anyway and the upgrade price was less than our spa purchase would have been.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bob NC said:

We were going to buy the spa package anyway and the upgrade price was less than our spa purchase would have been.

We did the same thing on Sunshine. Balcony to a Spa Balcony.  Love the heated tile chairs!  Enjoy!!

• Like 1

I called Carnival this weekend because I had bought a couple of AARP gift cards and as has happened the last couple of times they wouldn't apply online but worked fine when I called and had an agent enter the information for me.  I asked about getting the one upgrade offer that I would take if they offered for the other and the lady was like well maybe you will get lucky later on?!?  Maybe I should call back tomorrow if it doesn't expire and ask another agent. ha

I just purchased more gift cards tonight and I don't think they are applying so I probably have to call anyway. 

9 hours ago, awhitleycrew said:

I called Carnival this weekend because I had bought a couple of AARP gift cards and as has happened the last couple of times they wouldn't apply online but worked fine when I called and had an agent enter the information for me.  I asked about getting the one upgrade offer that I would take if they offered for the other and the lady was like well maybe you will get lucky later on?!?  Maybe I should call back tomorrow if it doesn't expire and ask another agent. ha

I just purchased more gift cards tonight and I don't think they are applying so I probably have to call anyway. 

Definitely worth making a call - always ask, worse they can do is say no. Enjoy your spa package - those chairs are heaven. 

On 2/6/2024 at 11:15 AM, Bob NC said:

Glad to hear your offer worked out

• Like 1