Thoughts on Volendam for 45 day cruise

redcruzer

We recently booked this voyage and are looking forward to sailing on the Volendam again.  This will be our third voyage on her (longest 58 days trans pacific) and have never experienced any problems sailing through rougher waters compared to other ships.  We always select a smaller ship if the itineraries are similar.

I would be more concerned about the on board amenities available aboard the Volendam as it is a 45 day voyage,  She is older and smaller than many cruise line ships and thus does not have as many amenities as the newer ships.  We do not need the extras which adds to the ambience of the ship for us but for others it can be a negative. 

Don't forget the great itinerary!  

• Like 1

We did the long Asia cruise on the Volendam a number of years ago, and loved the ship and itinerary, nothing was lacking.

At a passenger gathering, I randomly spoke to a couple and opened with ..isn't this a wonderful ship and cruise?

Then for 15 minutes at least I had my ear chewed off. This was the worst ship and cruise they had ever been on and they could hardly wait to get off. Then proceeded to  tell me (harangue?) about the full ice rink and ice shows and full broadway productions their last cruise ship had ...etc, etc.

Volendam. YMMV. 😵‍💫

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/1/2024 at 2:11 AM, Btimmer said:

I would say, however, that the Oosterdam was much smoother especially in seas that reached 15 feet on the way to the Falklands.

The Vista Class really handles marine conditions well.  The two voyages where we have had extreme conditions were both on Vista ships (Zuiderdam 33’ and Queen Victoria 40’) and they performed like champions.

Have never been on the Volendam (would love to) but absolutely loved its sister ship, Zaandam.  Unless you’re like the people that @OlsSalt met, I wouldn’t hesitate to book a long cruise on the Volendam.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I booked this first in a Vista suite then a Neptune became available. Does anyone know if the Neptune has a stand alone shower or is the shower only in the tub? Thank you

4 hours ago, Kathyrd said:

Does anyone know if the Neptune has a stand alone shower or is the shower only in the tub?

The diagram shown on CruiseDeckPlans shows only a tub (i.e. shower in the tub).

Can anyone weigh on Neptune Suites THAT YOU"VE ACTUALLY STAYED IN (as opposed to guessing based on the deck plan) that avoids the majority of rolling cart and scraping chair noise from above?

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Can anyone weigh on Neptune Suites THAT YOU"VE ACTUALLY STAYED IN (as opposed to guessing based on the deck plan) that avoids the majority of rolling cart and scraping chair noise from above?

Firstly - it is indeed shower /tub combinations still.  Not sure why - maybe not enough space or plumbing to convert?  The OV’s and insides have all been converted to shower only.

Book under the carpeted area of the Canaletto - it’s pretty safe.  

I have 7032 for next week and think it should be fine.  I’ll certaily be reporting on my live thread if there are issues.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have 7032 for next week and think it should be fine.  I’ll certaily be reporting on my live thread if there are issues.

Hi, Jacqui - We were under Canaletto in 7033 on Zaandam last year, thinking the carpet would buffer the cart noise, but alas, it did not.  BTW, if I'm not mistaken, 7032 isn't under Canaletto.

Enjoy your cruise!

Barb

17 minutes ago, zelker said:

Hi, Jacqui - We were under Canaletto in 7033 on Zaandam last year, thinking the carpet would buffer the cart noise, but alas, it did not.  BTW, if I'm not mistaken, 7032 isn't under Canaletto.

Enjoy your cruise!

Barb

No that cabin isn’t under the Canaletto but my TA and I both thought it should be safe.  I’ll find out.  Choices were limited so we chose from what was there.

I’m surprised as I have been under the Canaletto on several of the smaller ships (where the Lido is above) and we didn’t hear the carts.  It needs to be the fully carpeted area IMO but obviously your experience was different

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

No that cabin isn’t under the Canaletto but my TA and I both thought it should be safe.  I’ll find out.  Choices were limited so we chose from what was there.

I’m surprised as I have been under the Canaletto on several of the smaller ships (where the Lido is above) and we didn’t hear the carts.  It needs to be the fully carpeted area IMO but obviously your experience was different

Back before they widened the non-carpeted areas of the Lido, they were maybe half hard surface and half carpet so definitely better at buffering noise (ex - we don't ever remember hearing noise under Canaletto on Amsterdam, last time we sailed her was 2019).  Anyway, unfortunately there is a good portion of the Neptunes that are under Canaletto that are now exposed to more non-carpeted areas so we heard those darn carts quite a bit.  DH thinks they should switch all the carts on all the ships to soft balloon-type tires to help but doubt that will ever happen.

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Enjoy your cruise!

Barb

We're in 7033 Zaandam....sister ship of Volendam thought it would be quiet under the Canaletto...wrong!  since they tiled the lido area the rolling carts are really loud, but stop by around 10pm so it isn't that bad and no early am rolling carts.

We were in an SB Volendam for the Amazon and it was great..I think it was 7004 which was under the beauty salon at the forward stairs opposite the Pinnacle Suite.

We get off the solar eclipse cruise tomorrow. Great cruise 😀!

Karen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:20 PM, redcruzer said:

Hello. I am looking at a 45 day cruise to Mediterranean roundtrip from NYC. This would be our first Holland America cruise. A little nervous with the smaller size and traveling across the Atlantic. I imagine it would be felt quite a bit. Does anyone have any insight to this? Also is this a nice ship? I see it's on the older side. Spending the amount of $$ on such a once in a lifetime trip, I want to be sure my husband and I will just love it. thanks so much.

We did then 77 day Grand South America on the Volendam in 2020 - We are booked for 24 days this fall and also booked on the 45 day.  So yes we like the Volendam!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

What is theThe 45-Day Ultimate Mediterranean & Atlantic Passage cruise from Volendam, Netherlands, departs on Tuesday, October 7, 2025 and returns on Friday, November 21, 2025.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:27 PM, iflyrc5 said:

We did then 77 day Grand South America on the Volendam in 2020 - We are booked for 24 days this fall and also booked on the 45 day.  So yes we like the Volendam!

We like the beautiful and elegant small Volendam. 

• Haha 2

A few years ago my DH & I took a very similiar cruise called “The American Adventure”round trip

from Ft Lauderdale to the Med.  We loved it!!! We took it twice-once on the Veendam and the other time on the Maasdam.  A lot of relaxing days sailing over then busy days with many ports and relaxing days back.  Of course, since we live in Florida-NO FLIGHTS!

I am considering booking it in 2025.  My DH passed away in January, 2024, so just not sure….

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 2:30 PM, kazu said:

So how are you finding the noise - if any - from above so far?

10 hours ago, zelker said:

So how are you finding the noise - if any - from above so far?

We can hear carts at times, but it’s not loud and not constant.

It certainly doesn’t keep us awake nor wake us up.

I asked my cabin mate her opinion and she said the same.  We have no issues and are enjoying our room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/14/2024 at 8:33 AM, mskitty1 said:

A few years ago myH DH & I took a very similiar cruise called “The American Adventure”round trip

from Ft Lauderdale to the Med.  We loved it!!! We took it twice-once on the Veendam and the other time on the Maasdam.  A lot of relaxing days sailing over then busy days with many ports and relaxing days back.  Of course, since we live in Florida-NO FLIGHTS!

I am considering booking it in 2025.  My DH passed away in January, 2024, so just not sure….

Hi,

My husband pass away 10 years ago and I continue to cruise as a solo and love it.  Don't give up on cruising.  I think it's the nicest and safest way to travel as a woman solo traveler. If you have a friend or two to travel with that is great but if not go anyway!

All but one of my cruises have been with NCL. This year I am jumping ship onto HAL and looking forward to it.  For one thing I don't have to fly this time as the cruise port is close.

I hope I've been able to give you some encouragement.

happytotravel

• Like 2