Just got the upgrade call...

mouche

Was looking at airline bookings this week. The various rates were accompanied by an offer to "upgrade to X class for $Y". I have seen similar notice on hotel rates _"upgrade to suite for $$", I've gotten such emails with upgrade offer on rooms I've already booked.  If the term "upgrade" always meant it was free, what is the need for the term "free upgrade"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tend to use quotes around "upgrade" because I've never gotten anything that was a true upgrade imo.  On my last sailing on Elation, I was solicited for hundreds of dollars to move from my interior to an undesirable location - one was a sideways cabin, and there were 3 of us!  Another offer was for the same cabin I turned down the week prior.  I believe I got a total of 5 offers within a few weeks, so I guess my original cabin was popular.  Was a good location for us.

We were happy to be upsold today for a nice upgrade. Went from a Jr, Suite under a public deck to a midship grand suite with cabins above and below for $320.  Five night spring break cruise leaving Saturday.  

• Like 8

We were offered an upsell from an interior to an oceanview on our Glory sailing of 9/30/24, for $184.00. Our favorite cabin (wraps around crew stairwell, large enough to have two picture windows), was available, so we took the offer. It was a very inexpensive cruise in the first place at $609 total.  It does seem strange to be offered an upsell 215 days prior to sailing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 11:39 AM, john91498 said:

in before the "upsell" people 🤣🤪😆

Truth is Carnival has never called and asked me if I would like to "upsell" my room but I have turned down their weak "upgrade" offers a few times. Only free upgrade I ever got was for a cruise last year for a Feb cruise that was supposed to be on the Freedom. I had booked an interior room but when it got switched to the Spirit I was gifted an 8A balcony in the aft of deck 5. No complaints from me. 

• Like 3

On 2/7/2024 at 8:14 AM, ledges1 said:

Carnival is very good at separating you from your money and making you feel good about it. Now, add the spa package and the cheers package, you will feel even better.

ALL cruise lines do this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, mouche said:

I will be surprising my husband once we open that cabin door, Happy Valentines Day to us!!!

Is this some type of not-so-latent gluckschmerz that compels someone to try to diminish another’s excitement or happiness — over the definition of “upgrade”?? What can it possibly REALLY matter to anyone whether it was free or paid for? @mouche was clearly ecstatic (as I would have been!) and wanted to share with fellow cruisers who she EXPECTED to share her excitement.  Do words matter so much that it was worth trying to deflate her enthusiasm? SMH….

But, for the lexical semanticists out there, I looked up the definition of “upgrade” on numerous online dictionaries and not one of the various meanings included the word ‘free”.  

Anyhooooo…. @mouche, I think it was a PRECIOUS surprise for your husband!! What I want to know is HOW HE REACTED when you opened that door and he saw that balcony???!!   Hope you guys enjoyed every second of it!!

• Like 11

8 hours ago, dixiejen said:

Is this some type of not-so-latent gluckschmerz that compels someone to try to diminish another’s excitement or happiness — over the definition of “upgrade”?? What can it possibly REALLY matter to anyone whether it was free or paid for? @mouche was clearly ecstatic (as I would have been!) and wanted to share with fellow cruisers who she EXPECTED to share her excitement.  Do words matter so much that it was worth trying to deflate her enthusiasm? SMH….

But, for the lexical semanticists out there, I looked up the definition of “upgrade” on numerous online dictionaries and not one of the various meanings included the word ‘free”.  

Anyhooooo…. @mouche, I think it was a PRECIOUS surprise for your husband!! What I want to know is HOW HE REACTED when you opened that door and he saw that balcony???!!   Hope you guys enjoyed every second of it!!

Thank you for your kind reply, we had a great time, and yes, my husband was very surprised when we open the door. He thought we would have a premium interior for the week like last time, the weather was great all week too, so we got to enjoy it day and night!!!

• Like 6