Arvia or iona which is the better ship

Holly123red

Not much between the two as they are sister ships. The only main difference is the Dome opens on Arvia. Both are lovely ships when they are not rammed FULL of passengers . Been on both and had a better experience on IONA when only two thirds full.

Iona has a much bigger capacity in the MDR's as it has two large ones and two smaller ones while Arvia has only the two larger ones the smaller ones given over now to paid for restaurants.

I have not been on Arvia but my son and his family have and they said it was difficult and time-consuming in sometimes getting a table in the MDR. We had no problems on the two times when we were on Iona, the second time the ship was full.

The two restaurants on Arvia which are MDRs on Iona, are both free restaurants, Olive Grove (Mediterranean) and an American diner. Where the Olive Grove is on Iona, Arvia has a paid for restaurant which serves vegan food and sushi.

I preferred the greater choice of eateries on Arvia but there isn’t much difference between the two.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Leomins said:

The two restaurants on Arvia which are MDRs on Iona, are both free restaurants, Olive Grove (Mediterranean) and an American diner. Where the Olive Grove is on Iona, Arvia has a paid for restaurant which serves vegan food and sushi.

I preferred the greater choice of eateries on Arvia but there isn’t much difference between the two.

Absolutely right.  The two ships are  much of a muchness and we think they are equally fantastic.  The only significant difference is the 2 x MDR on Arvia vs 4 on Iona.  That is only important if you are wedded to eating at MDRs, in which case you may have to wait longer in a virtual queue for a table to become available on Arvia than you would on Iona.  That doesn't impact on us.  We are currently on night 11 of an Iona cruise and haven't eaten in a MDR once (and do not intend to do that for the remaining nights).  if I remember correctly, we ate in a MDR once on our 14 night cruise on Arvia in 2023.

In our opinion, both are a huge improvement in terms of decor, facilities, restaurants and pretty much everything else compared with Ventura and we recommend them wholeheartedly.   @Holly123redWhatever you choose, enjoy!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Iona for me.

And me. Just felt Iona was more relaxing with a nicer atmosphere. We are back soon and we are looking forward to another lovely cruise. 

• Like 1

In 2023 we sailed on both, twice.  

We were on the second cruise on Arvia and although it was relatively quiet, with only 4,500 passengers, they were having many problems with dining queues.

On our second trip, in April, there were about 5,500 passengers; the ship felt busier and the problems with dining queues weren't much better.

On our Iona cruises, in June and October, there were at least 5,000 passengers on each, but there were none of the dining problems that plagued Arvia. That was probably because the honeymoon period had passed and the crew were more accomplished, but also because of the two extra MDRs.

Most locations are almost identical on both ships, by that I mean the functions, not necessarily the decor; as has been mentioned, the notable difference is the sliding roof over the pool area on Arvia. Obviously, it also has the mini golf, the ropes course and the escape room. We prefer the layout of the shops on Iona; visiting the shops on Arvia is like fighting your way through the duty free shops when you are trying to get to your gate at the airport.

Both ships have accessible features that, while not perfect, are much better than all the other ships.

Arvia has more varied dining options, with Green & Co., Mizuhana, 6th Street Diner, and Roast in the Quays; we tried all of those, except for Mizuhana, and liked them all.  Iona though has the two smaller MDRs and of those, we have quite enjoyed evening meals in Opal.  We also prefer the Olive Grove on Iona.

So, we would happily cruise on both ships again, but for us, Iona just has the edge.

• Like 1

Having just come off Arvia the dining queues have been sorted. The only small queue was at Barbados probably due to new arrivals struggling with the app...like we did at first 😆 . 

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Choose based on  itinerary and price

As they are very similiar

We really enjoyed the Iona however itineraries for Arvia for next year are mainly 14 nights which is a bit too long for us, prefer 7-10 nights

I have cruised on both ships.

Not much between them really Holly 

Arvia has more choice in pay for dining restaurants & a rectractable roof in pool area 

I would choose based on itinerary/price 

17 hours ago, jaxw17 said:

Did not like Arvia at all have been told by numerous people that Iona has a lot better atmosphere.

That's clearly to do with fellow passengers and cruise type rather than the ship though

Different demographics on a Caribbean sun  cruise and a Norwegian Fjords cruise

Also huge huge difference between a school holiday cruise and non school holiday cruise

I started a thread not too long ago saying that age and demographics of fellow passengers has a huge  impact on a cruise rather than the ship itself

I believe that more than ever

Saw it myself on azamara recently where the only kids on board were children of some of the senior staff on holiday 

Totally different atmosphere to a family cruise ship. Much calmer and quieter. Which many will prefer. But some won't prefer. 

We can enjoy both ourselves

A cruise on Iona to the Fjords is totally different atmosphere to a cruise in the Caribbean on Arvia as well 

Its not the ship its where  it is and who is attracted to to those places etc

IMO

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

As it stands I believe Iona aims cruises at older demographics with its 4 MDRs and Arvia aims cruises at younger demographics with less MDRs and more choice of restaurants etc 

As a result Iona cruises are older average age and quieter and calmer cruises

Arvia more lively  and younger average age

We enjoy both ships

My parents wouldn't enjoy either as they want a small ship without children on board that's calm and quite and they can get around easily

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's clearly to do with fellow passengers and cruise type rather than the ship though

Different demographics on a Caribbean sun  cruise and a Norwegian Fjords cruise

Also huge huge difference between a school holiday cruise and non school holiday cruise

I started a thread not too long ago saying that age and demographics of fellow passengers has a huge  impact on a cruise rather than the ship itself

I believe that more than ever

Saw it myself on azamara recently where the only kids on board were children of some of the senior staff on holiday 

Totally different atmosphere to a family cruise ship. Much calmer and quieter. Which many will prefer. But some won't prefer. 

We can enjoy both ourselves

A cruise on Iona to the Fjords is totally different atmosphere to a cruise in the Caribbean on Arvia as well 

Its not the ship its where  it is and who is attracted to to those places etc

IMO

Yes I would tend to agree with you I have never encountered so many rude people. I have to say though we had issues with the food, queueing and kids and it was not in the school holidays,

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

As it stands I believe Iona aims cruises at older demographics with its 4 MDRs and Arvia aims cruises at younger demographics with less MDRs and more choice of restaurants etc 

We enjoy both ships

My parents wouldn't enjoy either as they want a small ship without children on board that's calm and quite and they can get around easily

I am with your parents! Good job there is something to suit all tastes out there.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 7:11 PM, jaxw17 said:

Did not like Arvia at all have been told by numerous people that Iona has a lot better atmosphere.

We are just off Iona, our first on P&O, so not been on Arvia obviously, though I have been looking at her for the Med cruises. We chatted to a gentleman onboard who takes up to 5 P&O cruises a year(sigh, good for him) and though he sailed on Arvia, he much prefers Iona for the atmosphere. Seems a few agree with him. I wonder what it actually

is about Arvia that makes some passengers feel that way.

On 2/9/2024 at 1:49 PM, Interestedcruisefan said:

We enjoy both ships

Just read your post after I wrote my one above where I was wondering about what makes the 'atmosphere' different between Iona and Arvia I am sure you are correct here. We are older(in our 70's), though have a way to go yet in our cruising hopefully, but we do like a quieter atmosphere for sure, like your parents. As someone said, it is good there are options for all tastes these days. 

• Like 1

Most times it's what happens on the ship. Who you meet, whether things go right or wrong. Your cabin steward etc. We for instance have had two cruises on Ventura and I can honestly say they won't see me on that ship again. The last cruise we had on Ventura I should really have been aware that it wasn't for me. Why ? because we were supposed to have sailed on her in 2021, but it was cancelled, then in 2022 they vastly changed the itinerary so that no US ports would be called at. We had the option of £400 extra OBC, to be refunded totally or to rebook on another cruise. We choose to rebook for 2023 the same itinerary as what the previous two were meant to be. What a mistaka to maka. The cruise was a disaster from start to finish. It put us off so much that I have deserted P&O to try a Princess cruise. The same ownership I know. A real pity actually as P&O have been our go to cruise line for all our cruises apart from one since 2002.

After our TA on Arvia we had no problems with getting a table in the mdr or saying that in any restaurant where we had to use the app, the atmosphere was to our liking only got lively in the dome, would we sail on her again yes.

Funny story we booked an appointment for the future cruises on the app and turned up on our allotted time, we went to the dedicated desk to be loudly shouted at by a woman saying we was jumping the queue at which point the young lad behind the desk said hello Barry and Sharon please sit, I looked at the woman who kicking up the fuss and explained we was in a virtual queue do you wish for us to join your queue, alas still waiting for an answer